First post from an accidental enthusiast - FJ62 resuscitation, mid-saga (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First, a very big thanks to all of you who post so thoroughly and thoughtfully. This is one of the best forums I've ever spent time on. I landed here somewhat by accident as the girlfriend of an FJ62 owner who loves his truck but is not mechanically inclined. I've been wrenching on aging Swedish cars - Volvos and further back pre-GM Saab's for awhile now but most intensively since moving to Texas a few years ago where the luxury of space allows me to take on longer projects.

So the story goes something like this: 1988 FJ62 - he's owned it for ten years but hasn't driven it much for the last three. His mechanic could not seem to get to the bottom of some of the issues it was having and he finally gave up, parked it, and bought a 2014 Tacoma. The main complaint was intermittent loss of power, erratic idle and running rough, but this mechanic had been servicing it since it was new so my bf simply kept taking it there since he'd acquired it from the original owner who was also his friend.

The main thing worth noting about the history is that in 2019, the engine was replaced because apparently, the oil drain plug "just came out" and the engine was finished. (The same mechanic did the oil changes too. And yes, my blood boils over this.) A used 3FE replacement was found, and installed. In the very skimpy shop notes it says that the replacement "engine leaks oil" so they charged him another chunk of change to address that. Per the notes "R&R ENGINE ASSEMBLY. DRILL/TAP/PLUG JJG C/O OIL LEAKS ON REPLACEMENT ENGINE" Not entirely sure what is meant by Drill/Tap/Plug.

I had been eager to dig into it for quite a while and did some basic troubleshooting in his driveway, but work better in my own so we had it towed here a month ago. Here's what has ensued so far:

Car was in a crank no start state. I went through all the prescribed steps in the FSM with additional pointers from you all. Main relay tested bad and the fuel pump was dead. I wired in a new generic relay, and installed a new fuel pump after cutting an access hole instead of dropping the tank. (Thanks for those tips!) After the new fuel pump went in, she started right up but ran rough and would not stay on even if I hit the gas pedal. I figured there was just a lot of cobwebs to burn off so I persisted. The battery was weak and already on the parts list so I was using a jumpbox to assist. After it started five times and quit, on the sixth, I just heard a kind of thunk form the engine then nothing. No crank. I feared the worst but persisted. I walked away and tried an hour later. I got some very sluggish cranking at that point. Charged the feeble battery for what it was worth and got some even better cranking but still far slower than it should be.

Up to that point, I did not check the oil because like a fool, I figured that any car with a full engine rebuild 4000 miles ago would not hemmorage oil. Incorrect. After filling it to proper levels, rough calculations suggested that she had 2 quarts left at the time of the "thunk." Soon after the oil fill, it began to leak pretty vigorously quite clearly from the oil pan gasket. No signs that this was ever addressed in the shop records but running my fingers along the edges, there are bits of gasket crumbling from the sides of the pan.. its clearly fatigued. Tried snugging all the pan bolts. No love there.

In all my eagerness and denial, I replaced the starter without testing the old one. Slightly better but still no start. Replaced the battery, the B+ and all the ground cables. Crank is even more lively now but still not what it should be. The next place I looked was the distributor. Rotor looks particularly worn and the cap isn't so good either. Before replacing them though I decide to check timing - such as that goes on a dead truck. Considered other factors as well but in the interest of keeping this long post less long, I don't see a good reason to detail the various rabbit holes.

Pulled the plugs and tried to turn the engine from the power steering pulley. Seemed far tighter than it should be but got a 46mm socket, wrestled with that miserable fan shroud and went about cranking it the correct way. It moved, but not without a good amount of force - though my insubstantial 16" breaker bar (bigger one was too big) With hopes that it was a seized air pump or alternator, i pulled all the belts and tried to turn it again. Still the same resistance. Last measure was to shoot the cylinders full of oil. That brings me here... for hope... or bad news... or suggestions... anything. My next thought was to check the valves but would be so grateful for some guidance. I've become very attached to this truck and so desperately want to bring it back to the life it should have.

Thanks!

Great intro. Hopefully you can get it figured out.

I had a similar experience with the 60 I picked up last year: I did remember to check the dipstick first, and it showed nothing. So I filled and filled until the dipstick showed full - it took 6+ qts. So like your 62, it only had 2qts in the oil pan. PO had it parked in his garage for 4 years and there wasn’t any sign of oil on the ground, so I guess he had almost run the damn thing dry. I was impatient and didn’t really pull the plugs and pour oil in the cylinders to loosen them up. I was actually recommended Marvel Mystery oil, and I did a couple tablespoons in each cylinder and started turning it over the next day. Probably should have done more and waited longer.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply CruiserTrash - definitely a little hope in there. I've seen Marvel Mystery Oil mentioned many times in similar topics so will be dropping some in the cylinders today. I have a hard time believing that simply running the truck for a total of maybe 45 seconds with 2 quarts of oil in it would cause catastrophic engine failure but then there are the added issues from sitting undriven to factor in.

FWIW I too think the fj62 has a lot of drag when turning by hand. Although I usually have the plugs in. If it’s turning through but just not starting I wouldn’t be inclined to spend too much time on that.

What was the result of checking the AFM? I don’t have the manual in front of me now but IIRC the flapper has a circuit that will kill the engine if it closes - perhaps an issue w the flapper or that circuit preventing starting/running.

TPS removed, cleaned, tested? When I got my truck the idle was all over the place and this ended up being the culprit, actually the gunk in it was not allowing the spring to snap back to the idle poison.

Cleaned connectors on those two items above?

Throttle valve cleaned and opens closes ok?

All intake rubber intact?

I assume you’re getting fuel now? Confirmed the plug wires are in correct positions?

What happens w a squirt of ether?

I'm relieved to see that no one has expressed much concern over the resistant crank. I'll definitely sleep a little better tonight after your comment. I have almost no point of reference for what I'm supposed to be seeing since I've mostly worked on swedish cars. And though I've had my moments with this vehicle, it is so much more fun to work on... for the most part. I was NOT amused when I removed with AFM plug by unscrewing the two screws. What the $%%^ were they thinking? There was lots of corrosion on what I accidentally extracted so I bought a Cardone, and set it aside to rehab some other time.

IAC has been cleaned but not the TPS. Connectors checked and cleaned. Intake rubber is intact. Definitely getting fuel but no start. Checked valves today and they were badly in need of adjusting - clearances were too low. And dissecting some photos of the timing gear just now, I realized that what i thought was orange paint to mark the bb, is actually rust. And no proper marks with the distributor rotor in position 1. So I guess I'll be re-treading tomorrow.

Great progress so far.

Given the janky (technical term) nature of the engine work so far, you might do a compression test (even cold) to get a baseline. If you added a *lot* of oil to the cylinders, it will skew the test results and likely cover you in oil when you crank the engine. You might put a cloth over all 6 spark plug holes and crank it for a while to shoot out the oil, and then do a compression test.

Also, adjust the valves while you're at it. Be sure the distributor was installed correctly and is pointing where it should.

During these cranking events, you could check the oil pressure, too. You should see 'some' on the gauge while cranking (~10 psi). I would leave the oil pressure gauge installed (buy a cheapie parts store one and screw it in where the OEM sender goes) and leave it in place during all your testing. If this engine is salvageable, you must learn if it has oil pressure.

If you ever get it running smoothly, let it warm up and then change the oil again. The '2 quarts' left in there from before may be rather nasty.

Checked the compression this morning. 125-127 on all so more to be hopeful about.

This afternoon I set up a mirroring session between my iphone and my laptop, mounted the phone to a bendable mini tripod and after some fumbling, managed to get it positioned with a reasonable view of the timing window. I put the laptop with me under the car and watched it as I turned the crank. It gave me a great view of the marks on the timing gear.

Next the belts need to go back on but I am totally confounded by the alternator which I can't get any motion out of at all despite loosening what I feel nearly certain are all the necessary bolts. (I cut the old belt off since it was needing replacement anyway.) I've attached. photos of all three bolts, obviously loosened to excess. What am i missing?

IMG-6164.jpg

IMG-6165.jpg

IMG-6174.jpg

Forgive any duplicate posting. I'm still getting used to the functions of this forum.

Thanks @toy_tek I was able to break it loose this weekend. I appreciate the direction since there's nothing quite like going at something with force then realizing there's one bolt still to loosen or that you've loosened the wrong ones. Looks like force will also be needed to remove the oil pan which I started tackling yesterday. Recalled reading about the bottle jack method but wanted to review again before attempting that. I also tested the dizzy and found the resistance to be out of range on the NE coil at 349. I wish there was a good reason why I didn't check this sooner but there have been so many other things to consider and address. Funny that I originally thought I was just going to find and fix some electrical gremlins and drive off into the sunset.

I don't recall having trouble getting the pan off but I do remember needing to jack the frame up to let the axle droop and allow clearance under the pan to remove it. However, that was before the lift was installed.

If you look at the "Done" list in the first post of my truck thread (link in sig).... 3/4 of that stuff I needed to do in the first few months of getting the truck. And it ran pretty good when I got it lol.

Great work @junoroot and wonderful to see you digging in so deep into this motor. You’re doing all the right things and as you mentioned, this forum group is invaluable. Look forward to seeing your progress. Lots of good cruiser folks in the Austin area as well should you need a second set of eyes.

Well... after finally getting the oil pan gasket right (which I'd like to document on here when I'm less angst ridden as it didn't go as expected in both good ways and bad - mostly good), I put a new cap and rotor on the existing distributor and tried to start it to see where things where currently baselined. By this point, the engine was turning by hand quite easily about 5/6 of the way around. and still a bit sticky the last 1/6- as if one piston hadn't recovered from its former neglected undriven state while the rest had. I didn't see any harm in trying to start it, if only very briefly since all the belts are still off.

It started right up. coughed then stalled. Tried again. Same outcome. A total of about 3 seconds each time. On the third try, nothing but the dreaded sound of the starter on a seized engine. I tried to turn it by hand - totally frozen.

Trying to wrap my head around this. Going to pull plugs, fill the cylinders with Marvel again, and try to turn it but I'm expecting that I'll be pulling the head next.

I should mention that there was nothing suspect revealed under the oil pan. Everything looked like it should and no particulates or shavings of any kind in the oil.

I did noticed that the teeth on the flywheel were pretty chipped when I was setting TDC for the valve adjustment. Posting a photo in case it offers a clue.

flywheel.jpg

Well... it took awhile but I finally got around to pulling the head. Nothing to see. Pulled the oil pan to check the bearings and there was my answer - a spun main bearing. Everything else so far has looked okay. Regardless, the debate began even before a diagnosis whether to do an LS swap so there's that. On top of the fact that no one can seem to confidently recommend a good machine shop in central Texas. I've called the two most reputable LC mechanics in Austin and got one hesitant rec for a place they hadn't used long because their longtime place closed. But I've done enough belly aching on this thread. I just wanted to post something of a conclusion to this particular chapter in case anyone else encounters this particular set of symptoms because for a minute there things seemed pretty hopeful. In hindsight, it seems that there may have been a lubrication issue that extended far beyond a few seconds running on 2 quarts of oil. And that the constant immediate shutdown behavior was likely due to lack of oil pressure (if i've understood some things correctly) Feel free to correct me or expand on this theory... and thanks for reading,

IMG_7979.jpeg

Ah thats a bummer. Glad you found the culprit though, now you can proceed to make a decision on the "fix". Hopefully some of the TX members will have suggestions on potential rebuild shops to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom