Fan Clutch Oil (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been covered, but I feel that I've read the threads and have seen all kinds of answers. I'm just looking for what weight and how much oil to do a fan clutch mod. I've seen from 10K to 30K+, with 15K being a common number. TIA.

2 comments:

1) There are I think 3 different fan clutches that came in our trucks stock and the "recommended" fluid is different for each one
2) This is an aftermarket DIY mod not approved or endorsed by toyota, so every answer you'll get is just a "this worked for me" type of opinion.

In my case, I went with 20k on a black hub and it didn't do the job. Ended up getting a modded blue clutch from wits' end.

6K ~45ml OEM USA
I use 30K 50ml on new blue Aisin FC from Rockauto

I'm assuming that you are in a much hotter environment that I am out here in Oregon and that 30K may be inappropriate for me.

i had 15k on my green hub, and for Socal summer, it didnt cut it, so i swapped in 25k and it was just about right..

Don't know if this matters, but I will be modding a new "blue" Aisin unit. I'm also doing the water pump and a TYC radiator at the same time.

What do you mean by "modding"?? Changing clutch oil or tuning the timing of the clutch? or both??

I'm about 48ml of 20K in a blue hub.

Just right for hot and humid summers in Deep East Texas (Avg daytime temps 95-98°, but up to 105 at times).

Also run an Aux fan for the A/C condenser.

20K Silicone.jpg

Last edited:
I'm 15K in a Blue Aisin and it was great in the winter and spring but I feel like I should change it for a little thicker oil now. It's been 95*+ the past week or so and in traffic with AC I've been seeing up to 205*.

So, if you don't live in those super hot zones, what would be a good grade to use? I rarely see 30 Celsius here!
She is getting the cooling system OH this winter.

I'm 15K in a Blue Aisin and it was great in the winter and spring but I feel like I should change it for a little thicker oil now. It's been 95*+ the past week or so and in traffic with AC I've been seeing up to 205*.

I can't see how it would hurt.

I imagine we have similar summertime weather 'hot and muggy'. I do run an Aux fan on my rig also, but in the same traffic (stop and go) I will see coolant temps of no more than 196-198°F (usually 193-195). Drops back to 190-193 on the highway, increases on hills or if towing.

Of course, assess the overall health of your cooling system as well. Fresh coolant every two years or so, clean A/C condenser, clean Radiator, radiator foam in place, Fan shroud, radiator cap working properly, fan clutch working properly.

Don't have the hot muggy summers here in Oregon. We do occasionally get some 100 degree stretches here, but typically mild in both summer and winter. Now the choice: 15K or 20K. Probably overthinking this, but that's how I roll.

if you settled with 15k and the rig still runs hot in traffic and slow wheeling, think about the time you will have to spend to do everything twice....ask me how i know..just saying...

The screw driver you need is Japaneses standard not Philips..... Be careful not to, how to say IT in English f#ck up the screws

The parameter big O ring some time by the mysterious way becomes too long

But all is not lost, our friendly @NLXTACY have it all in his crazy (full of LC80 LOVE) web store

How many ounces of silicone oil should I purchase for my new FCT 049 fan clutch?

The only info I’ve been able to find is about the weight. Need to know how many ounces to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom