Blue Fan Clutch Blues and Clutch ID help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The AC in our 97 80 Series was underperforming in the recent Texas heat wave. I couldn't tell what brand or version of fan clutch was in the vehicle, but it looked very old, so I put in a brand new Aisin blue fan clutch. A week later and still not happy with the AC condenser performance, I disassembled the blue fan clutch to adjust the valve opening temp and put in some 20k cst silicone oil. When the two halves of the clutch came apart, the square section O-ring was not a continuous ring. Not sure if Aisin are using spliced rings or if it just stuck to surfaces on either side and it just sheared when being disassembled. I searched the forum and the one previously referenced O-ring source I found 'Wits End' seems to no longer have this O-ring on their site. I am debating whether to clean up the ends of the O-ring and use some cyanoacrylate glue to stick it back together. Maybe placing some RTV across the glued section when assembling for insurance. Anyone know of another source for these O-rings. Another option I am contemplating is to try and determine what make and model the old fan clutch is and try to rebuild it with some appropriate viscosity silicone fluid. The only distinguishing features on the old fan clutch are the four torx screws holding the two halves together. The hub color is just a metallic color, no paint on it. Below is a picture of the split O-ring from the new Blue Aisin clutch and some pictures of the old 'mystery' brand fan clutch. Your thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

fan clutch 0ring LC 80.JPG

old fan clutch 1.JPG

old fan clutch 2.JPG

old fan clutch 3.JPG

Well, it must be my lucky day, problem solved! After I made the above post, I recalled that many years ago one of our 2000 100 series LCs had a fan clutch go out because an orifice adjusting screws backed out. That caused the fan clutch to mechanically lock up resulting in some internal mayhem for the fan clutch internals. Going with moto of 'never throw anything out', I just pulled that old 100 series blue Aisin fan out of the junk pile and took it apart to find that it has the same size square section O-ring in it that the blue Aisin fan clutch on the 80 series has. Now I'm just waiting for the Texas sun to help bake the rest of the old silicone out of the new blue clutch so I can fill it with the high viscosity silicone oil. I'm still curious what brand the old clutch was in the 80, so let me know if you can identify it.
I keep getting surprised by the number of parts which are interchangeable between some of the 80 Series and the 100 Series LCs. Has anyone ever made a list of interchangeable parts between these seemingly very different platforms? So far I've found interchangeability between, front brake pads, oil filter, and fan clutch o-ring. However, I think there may be others parts like u-joints, some transmission components etc.

FWIW, CA glue wouldn't have held the O-ring together. Auto stores will have a "make your own" O-ring kit with the correct glue in it, for future reference.

While you have it apart, adjust the timing/ temperature on the opening valve.

This along with csk viscosity are the two things that are critical to performance, and what makes the aisin hub " better" than others.
If the valve opens late you can still have issues

I'm still curious what brand the old clutch was in the 80, so let me know if you can identify it.

Your original fan clutch appears to be an Eaton (brand); forum consensus is that they're good clutches worth modifying.

Thanks, I'm glad to know that it is an Eaton. I had seen other posts reference the Eatons as 'black hub' fan clutches. I guess not all the Eaton hubs were actually black. I will keep it for a spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom