Fan clutch issues, but new or rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after clearing up all the codes, I’m in upgrade mode, looking to swap the fan clutch, I get great AC up to like 95 degree OAT, it was 91 on my way home this morning from work n even in the Costco line for fuel stayed really cold, it’s really like 95 n above, it’s been 105 lately, so at lights it has been getting warm inside the cab. Once on a straight away it can cool down again, I had this issue with my diesel truck n swapped the fan clutch n never happened again. So 1) I took a photo of my clutch can you help me know which one it is? The hub is not painted, so idk if it’s aftermarket. 2) should I do the blue hub or does anyone know where I can buy the black hub? The radiator is aftermarket, but I’m gonna swap that one for an aluminum in the next year or so. It came with a new in box duralast clutch from the PO, is that one able to be modified or should I not consider using it? I’m running about 220-230 up to 235 on my autel app live data when at a stop light or traffic for long periods, I will say once I cleared all the CEL codes runs a lot better n AC is cooler since it’s not retarding timing. Looking to do the clutch in the next week so any info will be good! Plus while I’m in there gonna re-torque a few bolts to stop a few leaks on the front n replace belts n pulley. Besides the AC warming up when it’s crazy hot truck runs great!

IMG_1154.jpeg

IMG_1127.jpeg

IMG_1126.jpeg

it does look like the Eaton Fan Clutch that you have

go to toyota and buy some silicone oil to replenish it and it should be good to go. I did mine a while back and used about 1.5 bottles of the oil in it.

it does look like the Eaton Fan Clutch that you have

go to toyota and buy some silicone oil to replenish it and it should be good to go. I did mine a while back and used about 1.5 bottles of the oil in it.
Oh ok, I didn’t see any clear marking that said Eaton or Toyota so I wanted to get some more eyes on it to see which on I had, ok that makes me feel a lot better now, I’m still gonna keep an eye out for the black hub aisin one

Oh ok, I didn’t see any clear marking that said Eaton or Toyota so I wanted to get some more eyes on it to see which on I had, ok that makes me feel a lot better now, I’m still gonna keep an eye out for the black hub aisin one
Eaton are a good clutch and came as factory fitted here in Aus as well as Aisin clutches

If your AC is not cooling settings at a light you’re most likely overheating.
The AC pump cuts out at 226* to help save the motor.
The factory gauge doesn’t start to move till it’s too late.
Most hear run a scan gauge or an aftermarket temperature gauge to get true readings on engine temps.

I don't know anything of the Eaton clutch.
OEM will have AISIN cast in it somewhere.

I think the different colour hubs from Toyota indicates the length of the snout. This is important so the fan sits in the right place in relation to the radiator core @landtank might be able to confirm.

I've had orange hub (diesel) apart. As far a I can tell, they are the same internally as a blue hub.

I would source a new Aisin blue hub, and a heavier silicone oil, then open up and drain the new hub, heat the hub and watch for the temperature when the port opens, and adjust it as per the landtank blue fan hub thread.

Thicker silicone oils are available from hobby/ model shops or Amazon etc.

I refreshed an orange fan hub, but hadn't found a new o-ring seal and tried to reuse the existing.
As soon as the seal was released, it expanded/stretched. I didn't manage to get it to reseal, and I lost all the oil out of that hub in a matter of weeks.
If you do plan to open up a hub, order a new o-ring seal ahead of time

Asssuming the OP is working on a US spec FZJ80 at least some did come with the Eaton fan clutch as original equipment on ?certain model years in the US (parts gurus would know more details).

Options are : rebuild yourself as mentioned above (search Landtank fan clutch in this forum), buy an AISIN from Rockauto, or buy one already modified:

I refreshed an orange fan hub, but hadn't found a new o-ring seal and tried to reuse the existing.
As soon as the seal was released, it expanded/stretched. I didn't manage to get it to reseal, and I lost all the oil out of that hub in a matter of weeks.
If you do plan to open up a hub, order a new o-ring seal ahead of time
When rebuilt the clutch on my 40 way back when, I stuck the o-ring in the freezer and was able to get it back into its grove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom