Factory Tint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi fellow Muders!
I searched a lot, but I don't seem to have found the answers to my dilema.
I hate factory tint. Would love to remove it. From what I read, the tint on the back window (trunk) can be removed using certain products.
I just ordered a set of fixed back windows ( third row seats, no tint) so I can convert the sliding ones to fixed. Assuming I can remove the trunk window tint, I will have the back doors (second row seats) with the factory tint. I really don't want to get a new set of rear windows, and would love to have clear glass all around.
Are there any updates on removing factory tint from the rear doors windows (second row seat)?
My LC is model year 1993, built in September 1992. Maybe that info is useful?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

I"ve seen it already. will look at it again.
Thanks!

Yeah I'm not sure if it can come off easily. I've had a heck of a time with tint. I wanted my fronts to match the back (nobody could do it) next would be to remove all the factory coating and then re-tint.

From what I was told (I have a 95) the coating is part of the glass and can't be removed. At least that's the information from all the shops I have asked..

Yeah I'm not sure if it can come off easily. I've had a heck of a time with tint. I wanted my fronts to match the back (nobody could do it) next would be to remove all the factory coating and then re-tint.

From what I was told (I have a 95) the coating is part of the glass and can't be removed. At least that's the information from all the shops I have asked..
That's correct. I have a '95 as well and the factory tint cannot be removed. I haven't seen a perfect match for the factory tint that anyone has done on the front windows. To get it all to perfectly match, the best option would likely be to replace the original glass with clear non-tinted glass and then have film applied.

Previous owner put clear glass from Japan on my US Spec 80 series
IMG_1966.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same question about removing the factory tint when I bought my 80. Ran into the same problem and did not want to source JDM glass. Ended up calling a bunch of tint shops looking for a specific bronze color tint that is no longer in production. Found a shop in South Orange County, CA that had some left. It turned out pretty good, the only difference from factory is the aftermarket bronze film has less metallic/reflective/mirror effect. I can dig up the name of the product as well as the shop if you are interested. It has been a couple of years but I am sure it is still sitting on their shelf, not much of a market for bronze tint now, lol.

9A3ABD17-E547-4419-9C90-31D6E84E1A49.jpeg

E0C43E9A-2F11-4115-AA05-F8A825E6BD1A.jpeg

I had the same question about removing the factory tint when I bought my 80. Ran into the same problem and did not want to source JDM glass. Ended up calling a bunch of tint shops looking for a specific bronze color tint that is no longer in production. Found a shop in South Orange County, CA that had some left. It turned out pretty good, the only difference from factory is the aftermarket bronze film has less metallic/reflective/mirror effect. I can dig up the name of the product as well as the shop if you are interested. It has been a couple of years but I am sure it is still sitting on their shelf, not much of a market for bronze tint now, lol.

View attachment 2471345

View attachment 2471346
Nice truck and great work on matching factory tint.
Unfortunately I'm in Argentina. I'll see what I can find over here!
Thx

View attachment 2471345

View attachment 2471346
Yes please let me know lol

Suntek 35 bronze I believe. Still around for building windows; it's possible to find an online supplier to sell small quantities.

The biggest problem area for removing the factory tint is going to be the back hatch window. Any process that removes the tint will most likely damage the laminate covering the defroster elements.

I'll have to find some suntek bronze 35 for my front windows. Thanks

It looks slightly different from outside (less mirrorized) but very similar from inside.
Very uniform from 10 feet away from vehicle. Close are we can get to matching.

So did all US spec trucks come with the factory spray on tint for the rear windows? I noticed today a small chunk (about 1" square) of the tint on my rear hatch glass is missing. There's a slight edge you can feel when going from the tinted part to the missing part and the glass is perfectly clear where it came off. I can't pull up anymore though (haven't tried heat or anything else). Leaves me to wonder if some trucks were clear from the factory and I have a film back there?

@Pascoscout hatch tint can be stripped, not inside the glass like the side windows

Hi fellow Muders!
I hate factory tint. Would love to remove it. From what I read, the tint on the back window (trunk) can be removed using certain products.
I just ordered a set of fixed back windows ( third row seats, no tint) so I can convert the sliding ones to fixed. Assuming I can remove the trunk window tint, I will have the back doors (second row seats) with the factory tint. I really don't want to get a new set of rear windows, and would love to have clear glass all around.
Are there any updates on removing factory tint from the rear doors windows (second row seat)?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Hi fellow Muders!
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
I have a ‘95 80 series that had spots on the rear window factory tint(dye) when I bought it. I used Eagle One Chrome Wheel Cleaner and it removed the tint like magic. I sprayed it directly on the glass and within 5 seconds the glass was clear and I wiped it away with a microfiber rag. I didn’t hurt my defroster either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom