There might be a way to remove that factory "tint"..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

studawg

SILVER Star
Threads
I just haven't figured it out yet. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has noticed that once a sticker has been on the inside of an 80 with the factory tint for a while, when it is removed, the glass looks different. See pics. This 97 FZJ80 had stickers on the INSIDE of the windows and were removed. It looks to me like there is some sort of coating on the inside of the window that came off with the sticker. The previous owner owned this vehicle for about 14 years so the stickers could have been on there for all or part of that. To my eye, it looks like this "tint" is not in the glass as has been speculated, but rather on it (inside), and so therefore there must be a way to remove it. Right? I mean, besides replacing all the glass or covering every square inch of it with stickers for 14 years and then removing. If there is a way, it may also apply to the early 100 Series which look to have a similar tint from the factory. Again, I can tell that the discoloration happened on the inside of the glass. This pic on top looks like it maybe had one of those vinyl static clingy stickers and it wasnt firmly pressed onto the glass on the bottom. Whatever sticker was on the bottom pic was firmly pressed on. I just saw this and it got me thinking. These are the kinds of things I think about when driving by myself.... Any ideas from anyone on this? I know I'm not the only that likes clear glass, or at least all the glass to match if I want to do some tint.

IMG_3283.JPG

IMG_3282.JPG

My theory is that there is some sort of reflective coating that is sprayed onto the inside of the glass. Maybe there is something I can spray on there to remove it.

Try wiping Coke on it. One of my kids splashed some on the inside of the window and now there's a clear spot.

I removed the film type tint from my front windows with a razor blade, then used carburetor cleaner on a rag to remove the adhesive. I have not seen anything like you have, but maybe what I did will help....

Now see, I find that fascinating. As a matter of fact, I remember seeing an 80 that had rear glass that looked like something had splashed up on it and it was discolored there. Maybe it was Coke. I guess it can't hurt?

I removed the film type tint from my front windows with a razor blade, then used carburetor cleaner on a rag to remove the adhesive. I have not seen anything like you have, but maybe what I did will help....
Yeah for regular film tint I use a fabric steamer and it peels off in whole sheets with usually only a little residue left behind. But here I'm talking about the factory tint on the rear windows, its not film.

Factory tint is imbedded in the glass. There is no way to remove it.

One option might be to find a replacement sliding window section from a parted out vehicle.

Mine seems to be coming off around the defrost wires on the back glass.

Maybe not physically but it seems to be affected chemically. Here is a picture of the third row sliding glass with my hand behind the spots that were affected by the Coke (I think it was Coke). It is clear.

1424279912386.jpg

1424279932415.jpg

Chemical could. An even job would be the tough part.

To me the coating looks alot like Chemical Vapor Deposition used in the semiconductor industry. The tint would be bonded to the glass, but very thin (microns). I am not an expert, just my $.02 from working in that industry 20+ years ago.

Possible done like they diamond coat front windsheilds?

Maybe not physically but it seems to be affected chemically. Here is a picture of the third row sliding glass with my hand behind the spots that were affected by the Coke (I think it was Coke). It is clear.

I'd try Pepsi. Wasn't that the stuff that took off Michael Jackson hair? Or maybe fire.

With all due respect Cdan, I think we have established that neither of these things are true. The tint has most certainly been removed, and if it was a sticker that removed it, it can't be in the glass.

In the second pic looking towards the rear, compare looking through the glass to looking outside the vehicle at the pavement behind it. It looks tint free to me.

IMG_3286.JPG

IMG_3285.JPG

One more reason not to drink Coke

What year is your cruiser? My 1992 didn't appear to have any tint. Maybe this was a tint that someone else had done after purchasing and the stickers pulled it off?

try using The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner on it...
Make sure to wear gloves! This stuff has hydrochloric acid in it.. try with a Q-Tip first in a very small area first. I'm not sure if it will etch the glass or not.
Another option would be Eagle One Mag Wheel cleaner, which contains hydrofluoric acid. I'm pretty sure that WILL etch the glass though...

Milder acids are available in different household cleaners as well. Coke works because it contains a decent amount of phosphoric acid. Anything with phosphoric acid would work if you want to let it sit a while. For that matter, Naval Jelly could do the trick.

Getting it even would just be a matter of how long do you want to wait? Once it is all gone, it will be even. Or you could tape off an area not to be removed and leave a tinted Toyota logo or IH8MUD logo on the glass. That could be pretty cool.

I might be able to get some info, but definitely looks like the tint is ON the glass, not IN it.
Newer privacy glass has the tint IN the glass.

try using The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner on it...
Make sure to wear gloves! This stuff has hydrochloric acid in it.. try with a Q-Tip first in a very small area first. I'm not sure if it will etch the glass or not.
Another option would be Eagle One Mag Wheel cleaner, which contains hydrofluoric acid. I'm pretty sure that WILL etch the glass though...

I might be able to get some info, but definitely looks like the tint is ON the glass, not IN it.
Newer privacy glass has the tint IN the glass.

Might as well just go all the way and use muriatic acid

What year is your cruiser? My 1992 didn't appear to have any tint. Maybe this was a tint that someone else had done after purchasing and the stickers pulled it off?

1992 didn't have tint that I'm aware of. My truck doesn't have it either.

Might as well just go all the way and use muriatic acid

Muriatic acid IS Hydrochloric acid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom