Expedition (not rockcrawling) wheeling: relative value of mods for 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Count me in for such a trip!

You need a very important accessory.....

an useable map reading light :D

The factory map light, located next to the sunroof switches are inadequate for when the passenger/navigator needs to read a map while you drive. I've had to black out part of the lamp with black elect tape to prevent night blindness. That's when the OSRAM map light went on the passenger side door piller.

Ali
:cheers:

A trip would be really cool, considering I could learn a ton of stuff from you experienced ones. BTW, I'm right in the middle (SE New Mexico), so nowhere's too far!

Lars said:
How about an annual expedition style trip for 80's forum members?

Maybe an excursion down to Baja? Or a trip through the 4corners states... hit the mountain passes of Colorado(Ouray,Silverton), Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde and the Canyonlands area of Utah?

Any interest in something like that?
This might turn into something .... I'd be up for some Western trips, but don't forget some "East of the Mississippi" destinations.

Some ideas I've thought about:
- Hudson Bay
- NewFoundland
- Trace the Appalachian Trail (Georgia to Maine) with some "Peak Bagging" along the way

I vote we try to follow Photoman to Alaska on one of his wildlife trips..........

cruiserdan said:
I vote we try to follow Photoman to Alaska on one of his wildlife trips..........

None of us would have to carry any spare parts or equipment. Bill would have everything we could possibly need...or he could make/build whatever we needed along the way.

landandsea said:
Eric,
- winch? Not very usefull. Have one on the FJ55. Whenever I needed it, there was nothing to hook on to. But all of my expeditions to Baja were for the purpose of finding remote (really remote) beaches. I even carried a wide fluke anchor to hook the winch to. Even that didn't work. The winch looked cool, but never got me out when I was stuck.
Ed

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Pullpal. It's a standard issue with many military units and expedition groups. They are not cheap, but I will be picking one up soon. Everyone I've spoken with who has had the chance to use the unit has said that it makes the winch far more useful as you are always able to fabricate your own solid winch points.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/pullpal/indexmain.shtml

Assembled....
pullpal-1-l.jpg

It even folds up nicely....
DSC008266.jpg

Like I said, you can create your own winch point. Besides, digging and burying the spare sucks.
SKAGWAY1141.jpg

Who is that in line to catch a broken winch cable with his teeth?

Arya Ebrahimi said:
I didn't think sliders were essential either. However I discovered just last night that my driver's side rocker is smushed in a good bit and I haven't done ANY hardcore 'wheeling in this truck. I was absolutely dumbfounded as to how the damage got there. I would have thought I'd notice landing on the rocker like that, especially the driver's side, but apparently not. Sliders are now definately on the list. I have 285s but no lift for reference purposes.

Ary

I had the same thing happen to me, I was crossing a river this past winter, I slowly dropped off of the ice shelf down into the water. My factory running boards took the hit and broke the plastic trim peices that are in the front.
I supose without the running boards it might of hit the rocker panel.
Sliders are on my list and I don't even know what rocks are. :rolleyes:

cruiserdan said:
I have a big driveway and a Weber if you all come up here.

Fuel was mentioned numerous times in this thread. I just wanted to say that the OZ sub tank was not that hard to install.

Rich said:
Who is that in line to catch a broken winch cable with his teeth?

That's pretty funny. I was actually wondering the same thing. When the truck reaches the top of the hill, I hope that he has enough clearance over the top to drive up and over. I think that I would have placed the anchor a greater distance over the top to allow room for the truck to clear the transition. :D

Over the years I have logged 1000's of miles of "expedition travel" in our 60 and 95% of the time solo in some remote areas. To me the #1 thing is the ability to keep moving. Without the ability to move all the bells and whistle are worthless. Body protection is just that protection without it you still can make it home.
Here are few things I have learned over the years traveling:

When ever I came across someone else with a problem I asked myself -If it was me would I be prepared, if not I made sure I was the next time out. You will end up carry a lot of stuff.

Winch - A winch is only worth having 1/2 of the time if permanently mounted on the front. Most of the time if you are stuck you want to go back and reaccess your line. I use a multi mount winch with front and rear mounts along with basic recovery equipment.

An extra fuel pump, if you are fuel injected you need an extra one or you will never move until you get one. Dropping a tank with 36gals is not ez alone so I cut a removable plug in the floor above the tanks to gain access to the pump.

Crossing water- if I cannot walk across I will not drive across. Sometimes a PIA but you must stay moving.

Dual batteries – no power no starting an automatic. I rewired so all 1 battery did was start the vehicle only. Everything else ran off the other battery even when the key is in the on position.

Hot water shower – I traveled with my wife and later with my daughter. After a few days of sucking dirt you and your family will be much happier clean and refreshed. Plus you have a much better chance of getting some!

Maps and GPS – A map does not do you much good if you don’t know where you are that’s where GPS coordinates and a multi-scale ruler and a good maps comes in handy.

Flares – good for a lot of things, starting a fire with wet wood at high altitude is what got me started bringing flares along.

First aid – along with first aid I carry an Extractor, a device used to suck venom. It works on snakebites, wasp, bees, and spider bites. An Extractor can make the difference of saving a limb if bitten by a Rattlesnake if you are in a remote area.

I have had my share of problems but I always made it back safe and sound under my own power. That said there is a lot more that can be added to this list but these are some things that came to mind after reading this thread.

The whole reason I got my cruiser was for this. By chance, while looking on eBay, I found a Land Rover that had been on an expedition around the world (www.aroundtheworld.org), and knew that was for me. Started looking at Land Rovers, and noticed that their retail value dropped like a rock after about 3 to 4 years, so tried to find something else. While looking at Hannibal's website for rooftop tents, I saw a Land Cruiser that looked badass, and here I am!

Disclaimer: Those aren't my rigs!
70_4.jpg
3.jpg

The cruiser looks like pat takash's. It sets on 37 MTR and has a supercharger. Had the great fortune to do the Rubicon a couple years back with the 80's on the Con trip. His truck wheeled well and had lots of goodies. later robbie

This is my first post and it would seem the appropriate thread to do it in. I am in the intial stages of planning an expedition trip from Northern Alaska to Tierra del Fuego argentina. I think i have decided that i am going to build a 80 series for this adventure, but this of coarse is not set in stone. This is a very informative thread and i hope it continues.

I don't suppose any of you guys would be interested in such a trip? Rest assured it won't be for a few years.

This adventure would follow for the most part the Pan american highway with several detours to catch the largely unseen sites. This means that i will not only need a reliable rig but one that has a certain proficiancy in south american mud while at the same time will last 15,000 miles.

My question is BFG MT or Goodyear MT/R?

I am not new to offroading and more specifically rock crawling. I have a great deal of experience with MT/R's on the trail. I love them and i know they are more then capable of handling the milage. My question is whether not they with be effective in the conditions that south america will enevitable present. Price is not really that much of an issue.

Also for those interested i have found a few good links on the matter of storage for the 80 series. If anyone could offer more info on the subject it would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for a low milage 80 series. Is there a diesel version? If so is there any chance at all of finding a low mileage version? Anyway here are the links.

http://www.overland.co.za/Packing_Systems/Anton_Matthee/
http://george4wd.taskled.com/
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

I dunno - I've done alot of off roading and I would go with the " conservative " side.

Realistically no more than a 2" lift, 33 inch tires - MT's of some kind, two spare tires, on board compressor, a really good tire plug kit, shovel, axe, hi-lift jack, tow straps, fog lamps, driving lights, shackles, flashlights and water. Add what you need for the climate you travel.

If you need sliders you better stay close to home - expy wheelers always take the easy and safe route - slow and easy. Been there - done it.

powderpig said:
The cruiser looks like pat takash's. It sets on 37 MTR and has a supercharger. Had the great fortune to do the Rubicon a couple years back with the 80's on the Con trip. His truck wheeled well and had lots of goodies. later robbie

do you know what lift he is runnin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom