Expedition (not rockcrawling) wheeling: relative value of mods for 80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

computerbookstore said:
And why would you need "Temperature reduction" for? To keep frozen meat?

:beer: :doh:

computerbookstore said:
I understand that plenty of people on this forum consider a fridge an essential part of their rig. Still I have no idea why and what they keep in their fridges. Maybe I need a revelation.

Um,

Well,

BEER...................... :D

You see I am not English, therefore I like cold beer..... :cheers:

I HATE it when people insist on putting food in my ice chest...:flipoff2:

With day time temperatures well into 40 degrees C a fridge is an essential part of an overlanders kit. I have a 74l fridge/freezer unit. The freezer is set at -12C to keep the meat frozen (and chill the beers in the afternoon) and the fridge gets set at 4C. Thus preventing veggies, milk etc from getting frozen. We travel into Africa for up to 3 weeks at a time been totally self sufficient (food water etc) There are no places to stock up and no fresh producst for weeks at a time. Here is where the freezer pays for itself.

Bongani said:
I have a 74l fridge/freezer unit.

You are a god among men...
bowdown.gif

:)

Here is a photo of the setup at the back. Notice the large freezer? :)

rear.jpg

The right drawer has all my pots, black pots, crockery, cutlery etc to cook with. The left drawer is food only.

Let me see here, you have a:

105 Land Cruiser

Its a diesel!

Factory Lockers in solid axles

74L Fridge

living in Africa

Taking frequent, multi-week trips into the bush...

Now I am really jealous :cheers:

I make use of the Aspivenin kit for snake and insect bites. It is a simple vacume suction pump that draws the poison out through the point of entry. With insects it must be applied within 60 seconds to be effective and with snakes one has a minute or two. The owner of the snake farm near Cape Town only use this to treat himself after a bit from deadly snakes like the puffadder or capecobra. When days away from any form of help this might just safe one's life.

pompe_boite_maxi3.jpg

Here is their website.
http://www.aspivenin.com/english/main.html

expeditionswest said:
Its a diesel!

Not to quibble, but the 1FZ-FE is a petrol. Still a very enviable rig!

-B-

expeditionswest said:
Let me see here, you have a:

105 Land Cruiser

Its a diesel!

Its a 105 series yea but a trusty 1FZ-FE petrol engine. I had a diesel cruiser before but the lack of horses and constant battles with dirty diesel in Africa is not worth it. Considering the more expensive purchase price of a diesel vehicle it takes 5 years with a petrol vehicle before the diesel starts to get cheaper here were I stay.

I say no thank you for me. I love the sound of a petrol engine and in the moster dunes of namibia nothing can compete. :) Imagine having to climb dunes of up to 250meters. Petrolheads rule.

The body of research into snakebites and envenomation in general, as well as the basic physiology of humans and the morphology of most snakes large enough to bit a human just do not support the use of a negative pressue device such as the Extractor or Aspivenin. In most cases the only effect is an increase in localized necrosis. Anecdotal stories of someone using one and having "saved their life" is almost assuredly the result of a dry bite, which several venomous snakes routinely do in a defensive behavior (versus offensive, such as killing prey). If you want to truly prepare for a venomous snake bite (or insect, spider, etc) go take a First Responder course, become familiar with the species that occur in the area you will be in, and take appropriate precautions and preparedness measures. These would include wearing protective chaps, gloves, etc when in high risk areas and having a plan to execute in the event one of your party was bitten. Carrying one of these suction devices should not give anyone the feeling that they are prepared for a venomous bite, and it's just bad to think otherwise. These are indeed "old school" in they presuppose that your finger, hand, arm, leg, whatever is a static vessel into which something bad has been deposited and it can simply be sucked out. Instead, you have a fairly high constant metabolic rate that ensures any materials that are in your circulatory system will almost instantaneously be moved along.

And though it doesn't matter, for the record in case it's perceived I'm talking from some non-informed position I hold a doctorate in Physiology, Morphology and Behavior of Reptiles and Amphibians from an Ivy League school and have worked in the desert southwest of the US interacting with venomous snakes, insects and spiders for 20 years.

Mike R

a decent review (http://www.llu.edu/llu/grad/natsci/hayes/research-b-snakebite.html)

clownmidget said:
The body of research into snakebites and envenomation in general, as well as the basic physiology of humans and the morphology of most snakes large enough to bit a human just do not support the use of a negative pressue device such as the Extractor or Aspivenin. In most cases the only effect is an increase in localized necrosis. Anecdotal stories of someone using one and having "saved their life" is almost assuredly the result of a dry bite, which several venomous snakes routinely do in a defensive behavior (versus offensive, such as killing prey). If you want to truly prepare for a venomous snake bite (or insect, spider, etc) go take a First Responder course, become familiar with the species that occur in the area you will be in, and take appropriate precautions and preparedness measures. These would include wearing protective chaps, gloves, etc when in high risk areas and having a plan to execute in the event one of your party was bitten. Carrying one of these suction devices should not give anyone the feeling that they are prepared for a venomous bite, and it's just bad to think otherwise. These are indeed "old school" in they presuppose that your finger, hand, arm, leg, whatever is a static vessel into which something bad has been deposited and it can simply be sucked out. Instead, you have a fairly high constant metabolic rate that ensures any materials that are in your circulatory system will almost instantaneously be moved along.

And though it doesn't matter, for the record in case it's perceived I'm talking from some non-informed position I hold a doctorate in Physiology, Morphology and Behavior of Reptiles and Amphibians from an Ivy League school and have worked in the desert southwest of the US interacting with venomous snakes, insects and spiders for 20 years.

Mike R

a decent review (http://www.llu.edu/llu/grad/natsci/hayes/research-b-snakebite.html)

So, if I'm reading the above correctly, the best thing to do is the traditional method of cutting into the muscle between the two puncture wounds, then physically sucking, with your mouth, the poison from the wound and spitting it to the side? I guess that makes sense, because of the high metabolic rate. I totally agree with you.

clownmidget said:
... in case it's perceived I'm talking from some non-informed position I hold a doctorate in Physiology, Morphology and Behavior of Reptiles and Amphibians from an Ivy League school and have worked in the desert southwest of the US interacting with venomous snakes, insects and spiders for 20 years.

Are you saying these gadgets are snake oil?

;)

-B-

"Nevertheless once bitten ... emphasis for treatment should be placed on early and adequate medical management. Overemphasis on first-aid can be dangerous because its value is debatable and too much valuable time is wasted in its administration."

From conclusion of:

http://www.priory.com/med/ophitoxaemia.htm

Speaking of poisonous snakes and other hazards...

Anyone ever do something like one of these routes (in purple?)? Basically Del Rio to Big Bend NP. These routes pass through Mexico's Park Natural Sierra Del Carmen -- the pretty part of the Big Bend country.

Unless it's an out-and-back, it would involve at least one potentially illegal border crossing--most of the year, there are parts of the river that can be driven across pretty easily. These days with the narco-traffickers and the turf wars in Nuevo Laredo, I just wonder how safe it is.

Mr. Toad said:
Anyone ever do something like one of these routes (in purple?)? Basically Del Rio to Big Bend NP. These routes pass through Mexico's Park Natural Sierra Del Carmen -- the pretty part of the Big Bend country.

Unless it's an out-and-back, it would involve at least one potentially illegal border crossing--most of the year, there are parts of the river that can be driven across pretty easily. These days with the narco-traffickers and the turf wars in Nuevo Laredo, I just wonder how safe it is.

I don't think I would mess around with illegal border crossing. I get hassled just doing my own stuff by the BP on this side of the border. I'm not sure I would want the hassle, potential vehilce impoundment, etc.

Ross

yea, imagine a Mexican cop having a shot at impounding a built-up Cruiser!

"Madre Mia! Que preciosa! Gracias, gracias, gracias....!" :D

Yeah, good points. So I guess it should be an out-and-back or better yet a loop starting and finishing in Del Rio.

By the way, for those whose expedition kit includes a gun (or ammunition), leave it out when going to Mexico unless you are absolutely sure that your paperwork is perfect and you have an extra few days to wait for the authorities to figure out your paperwork is perfect or until Western Union delivers the cash-grease. The former will always take about twice as long as the latter.
http://www.mexonline.com/mexguns.htm

FWIW, I kept photo film in my frig.

Bill

Two winch questions.

landtank refers to installing a hydraulic winch rather than electric. Less weight, lower cost are his claims. Generally, automotive hydraulics are nearly bullet proof. What's the skinny on this?

Many, many years ago, when I owned a 24-foot runabout, I used a manual winch to move the boat from water to trailer. Is some version of manual [boat or other] winch, with detachable hand crank a viable/reasonable idea for someone who anticipates seldom using the winch as extractor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom