Expedition (not rockcrawling) wheeling: relative value of mods for 80? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is great to see a old thread come to life again and read the post one posted in the past. I love the forum all it does to futher the enjoyment of the outdoors. I still wheel my set up, when I am not wheeling a FJ for work. Toyota is the way to go, got to love the 80 and all it is capable to do.
Later Robbie

Its a 105 series yea but a trusty 1FZ-FE petrol engine. I had a diesel cruiser before but the lack of horses and constant battles with dirty diesel in Africa is not worth it. Considering the more expensive purchase price of a diesel vehicle it takes 5 years with a petrol vehicle before the diesel starts to get cheaper here were I stay.

I say no thank you for me. I love the sound of a petrol engine and in the moster dunes of namibia nothing can compete. :) Imagine having to climb dunes of up to 250meters. Petrolheads rule.

I'll Trade ya......

All.......... day........ long.........:D

(whats the "torque-to-range" whyle climbing dunes?)

AKA, "MPG", in other countries

Service life span?

Are Toy Diesels Alum head?

I almost bought a 60 from a guy that was once in the peice corps in Africa, he said NOTHING aluminum can last in the African heat......:confused:

Some are shocked to find that the most common vehicle driving long distances with large payloads on the worst central African roads is neither the legendary Land Rover, nor our beloved Cruiser. It is the 4x2 Peugeot pickup.

True.:flipoff2: They even had a station wagon version.
35_BreakCharge.jpg

How about an annual expedition style trip for 80's forum members?

Maybe an excursion down to Baja? Or a trip through the 4corners states... hit the mountain passes of Colorado(Ouray,Silverton), Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde and the Canyonlands area of Utah?

Any interest in something like that?

I am up for an expedition of stock or nearly stock 80's

Well I do what some call "expedition" travel though I have a '60 series not an '80 since Toyota felt we don't need a diesel any more.

My order of importance is as follows:
- reliability is of PRIME importance, there could easily be a week or more of waiting for parts for any Land Cruiser in Mexico.
- I LOVE my turbo and while it may seem like an oxymoron, I think the turbo actually makes the engine more reliable! At high altitudes the engine doesn't get the air it needs and runs hot, the turbo corrects that condition, not to mention additional power!!
- fuel economy (to last on longer stretches with few refueling options) though I've NEVER been in a situation where the stock fuel tank was insufficient. I also like to carry a couple of jerry cans just in case.
- I have a mild lift of 2 1/2" which is sufficient for most situations.
- I will be getting 33" tires when I replace the current 31". Mostly for better clearance. 4:11 diffs will go in at this time as well since the 33" tires will rob the engine of too much power and 4:11's will put the gear ratio to stock again with 33's.
- contrary to some earlier posts, I consider lockers important even though I'm not into rock crawling. It is surprising how easily one can get stuck in a muddy field (I've been there and needed a push from the locals). I now have an Aussie in the rear and I'll be having an OEM limited slip in the front.
- I have a PTO winch which in hind sight is probably not the ideal. Having been with Nickw when he rolled his '80 https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=109465 I can see that an electric winch, with gel cell batteries would be more useful for self recovery. The PTO and hydraulic winches that rely on a running engine for power are not too useful when the engine is inverted and therefore unable to run. With any winch of course one needs snatch blocks, straps and all the other goodies to actually be able to effectively use it.
- Ham radio, I have yet to need it in an emergency but it's there and it has both VHF and HF capability that should give me several hundred miles of range at the worst times and around the world coverage at best!
- invertor to power the laptop and charge camera batteries
- GPS to work in conjunction with Ozi-Explorer on the laptop and maps, either digital or scanned in, of the area we are traveling. Locals do not always know the way to you destination and up till this time we've been taking polls on which way is correct by asking a 1/2 dozen locals and going with the majority! I'm hoping that the GPS and Ozi-Explorer will make the route finding easier.
- dual batteries are stock on my truck
- full tool kit, OEM shop manuals and THE KNOWLEDGE TO USE THEM!!
- spare hoses, belts and other odds and ends depending on the trip.
- a very complete medical kit (AND THE KNOWLEDGE TO USE IT) including medication that might be needed for various maladies found in the areas traveled.

I do not have:
- on board water carrier as bottled water is readily available wherever I've traveled so far. I carry a 5 gallon water container when I travel for security.
- on board air, it would be nice but there are pinchazos or llanteras all over the place in Mexico and Central America. I do have a tiny $20 air pump and a tire patch kit if worst came to happen. I know I'd be there for hours with that setup though as long as I don't lose the tire bead, if that happens I'm DOA.
- fridge/freezer since there are places to eat most everywhere we have not felt the need to have several days food with us. If we do need that then our cooler will suffice for the short term.
- on board shower, we generally can find a place to stay in almost any town of village, and maybe the lack of shower will keep the bandito's at bay :)
- I'm not a fan of trailers, I don't like having it hanging behind me, it makes driving in heavy traffic more awkward and I can imagine it would get caught up on things in the bush as well. Besides, I don't carry enough stuff to fill the back of the '60 (when I'm not traveling between Canada and Central America) so why do I need the extra space?

My list is close to Beno's:

1. Reliable truck -- this is the first order of business - fix or replace anything that is not perfect.
2. Extra parts and tools
3. Good tires -- I run Bridgestone Revos -33" - and have never been stuck where aring down and lockers could not get me out
4. Mild lift (see Hltopper's explanation) -- also to take care of weight issues on a fully loaded expedition vehicle
5. Lockers
6 Sliders, front and rear bumpers
7. Air compressor (on board)
8. GPS
9. Satellite phone
10. Tinted windows - a nice option
11. 3rd row removed - replace with drawer system
12. Roof Top Tent - Maggiolina or Columbus for durability and low drag
13. Trailer with large fabric tent is a great option for camping
14. Some type of weaponry--probably not! I do carry in some Western states, but Canada and Mexico are not gun friendly
15. Fridge - In the trailer - takes up too much space in a vehicle
16. Dual batteries - I never needed them but that is the only item on my list yet to be done - and it will be done. I also carry 2 batts in the trailer
17. AT LEAST two 5 gallon water cans or equivilent
18. Large dining fly or awning - portable shade
19. Portable table and chairs

OK, the last two are not vehicle equipment, but are essential.

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom