Everyone talking about rebuilds and swaps….am I throwing money into a pit building up a 240k mile rig?

• Thread starter Francis K
  • Start date
  • Watchers 18
F

Francis K

SILVER Star
Added bonus - if your paint shop does the doorjambs & hatchjambs, green is almost black so masking the whole engine bay but blowing paint everywhere else will look great.

A good decade back a guy bought a red VW Corrado & blew it dark green - the red engine bay w/ the green got it dubbed the ‘Santa-mobile’.

Owner was thin-skinned & didn’t take the nickname lightly.
He soon quit the VW Vortex board (VW’s version of Mud).

I like the way you think!!

Ozark80

Ozark80

Missing the point of the started maintenance/ rebuild interval there. Fleet managers use these numbers to calculate the total cost of ownership for fleet vehicles, which typically factors when selecting vehicles. Like anything mechanical there's an engineered lifespan and an estimated mean time between failure.

Not going to disagree with the sentiment here though, Toyota tends to be conservative when they estimate their intervals. I've seen plenty of light duty Toyotas outlast Ford Super Dutys in mining environments.
I read somewhere that Toyota estimates a 3 year service life for the 79 series Land Cruisers used in Canadian mining operations.

Feldrian

Feldrian

Full of opinions and expensive ideas
SILVER Star
I read somewhere that Toyota estimates a 3 year service life for the 79 series Land Cruisers used in Canadian mining operations.
Yup. Depends on the type of mining, too. I remember there being a differential between bauxite and iron ore mining in Australia when I was reading tables years ago with trucks working bauxite mines expected to last ~20% longer. They're basically actuarial tables for cars. Just like an accountant is likely to live longer than an underwater welder.