Builds Euro 1HD-FT Turbo Diesel/H151F 5 Speed Manual LHD 96' USA Swap (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So since the diesel crowd are the only ones messing with the Hi side of the TC I will ask here. I apologize up front for thread jacking and I will delete / move this elsewhere if the OP so desires. @wardharris @orangefj45 I am not interested in overdrive gears for my TC as I am running the gas motor still. I am however interested in underdrive gears on the hi side. My question is, whats keeping me from running them in my full time case ?

You can certainly install a set UD gears in your HF2A case.

:)

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

IMG_0336.JPG
Here's a pic of @CycloSteve HF2a case with the Terrain Tamer OD high range and 3.12:1 low range gears installed.

Last edited:
So since the diesel crowd are the only ones messing with the Hi side of the TC I will ask here. I apologize up front for thread jacking and I will delete / move this elsewhere if the OP so desires. @wardharris @orangefj45 I am not interested in overdrive gears for my TC as I am running the gas motor still. I am however interested in underdrive gears on the hi side. My question is, whats keeping me from running them in my full time case ?

The OD gear sets also of interest to Vortec swappers looking to drop revs when they have regeared the diffs.

What hijack? At least we are talking tech instead of politics and wimmin....... :)

You can certainly install a set UD gears in your HF2A case.

And Georg can sell 'em to ya! :)

View attachment 1457970 Here's a pic of @CycloSteve HF2a case with the Terrain Tamer OD high range and 3.12:1 low range gears installed.

and this combination it's not possible in part time HF1A ..

Only option for HF1A it's the OD gearset ..

I'm correct in both statements ?

We use just the input and high speed output gears and they work perfect. There's no need to replace the idler gear.

Hmmmmmmm that is very interesting. Very interesting. I think that means you wouldn't have to change the pre-load shims on the idler shaft either eh....... I had no idea those gears would mesh properly with the original idler.

Hmmmmmmm that is very interesting. Very interesting. I think that means you wouldn't have to change the pre-load shims on the idler shaft either eh....... I had no idea those gears would mesh properly with the original idler.
Gee, bet we could even arrange hand delivery on VI :)

Correct. It took us a minute to wrap our minds around it as well. But then we installed the first set close to two years ago and it works perfect!

and this combination it's not possible in part time HF1A ..

Only option for HF1A it's the OD gearset ..

I'm correct in both statements ?

Correct for #1

#2 ..... you could install the OD or UD high speed gears.

Gee, bet we could even arrange hand delivery on VI :)
So tempting... I need to rebuild my H151 first, it is getting noisy... can you hand deliver me bearings and syncros for that? :)

So weird, I was going to post to this thread today (it’s been a bit) and saw that @ofer bruhis already had.

My hacked up FT harness had the correct connection for the IP so I got lucky there. I’d be looking in AU for a used plug if you don’t have one.

I deleted the factory plug and found a water proof 4-prong plug that allowed the IP cut off and tach sender wires (3 total) to pass through.

I got that plug from you Ofer.

Buuuuut. I think I did the soldering with the IP off the engine. Not sure it’s possible now.

You might be able to find a toy part number for the pigtail...

So this swap is about 35k (miles) in and has had essentially zero issues. That was until the IP O-ring seal between the pump body and distributive head failed which resulted in diesel POURING out of the pump. It still idled fine but there was no more driving it.

After pulling the IP, I sent it to Jon at Fox JDM for a full rebuild. While waiting on the pump, I swapped in brand new OEM injectors too. I was able to get the pump installed yesterday without any issue. Ultimately, I turned the fuel screw up about 1 full turn and adjusted the boost compensator shim. It runs perfectly and REALLY pulls in both 4th and 5th gear. EGT’s are actually lower than before.

BDD7659A-5E1C-4D0B-8C35-1152CD2BB119.jpeg

I set the timing at 1.60mm using the Denso tool. It wasn’t cheap but it worked fantastic and was fairly easy. Shoot me a PM if you’d like to borrow it.
4B9F8F72-A0A6-4DD5-8DED-CF79237BF8C4.jpeg

I checked the fuel economy this morning after driving my wife to the airport and it was 23mpg. I expect that to fluxuate some but I’m damn happy. Thanks @yotahed !!

Ofer - one option would be to pull the pins out of the plug and re-pin them into another Toyota plug which you have both sides...I had to take this path with a number of plugs on my conversion.

Ross - wow, great recovery from a catastrophic IP failure. Where did you find the OEM injectors? I am thinking having a spare set might not be a bad idea.

On my rig, I actually now need to dial back the fuel a wee bit at low RPM, as I went from living and driving around sea-level to living at 2,500' plus. The truck goes like stink, but also has more soot off the line than I would like.

I got lucky and found a set on Partsouq. Not cheap but what the hell. They are getting fairly hard to find

@Rock40

Man, I wish I lived closer to you (or anyone else with a diesel). How does that pump timing tool work? Are they expensive? I suspect that you are getting faster performance than me and better gas mileage at the same time. (I get 18.5 pretty consistently, regardless of my driving style) My brain is obsessed with hitting the 20mpg mark. Think pump timing could affect EGTs and economy like that? Or do you think that your 1HDFT's technology enables better mileage and I should stop while I'm ahead? (I've put 35,000 miles on my rig as well)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom