Project HDFZJ-80.5 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have started putting together what I consider to be my "dream" truck, so I thought I better start a "build thread". Specs will be:
  • 80 series
  • LHD
  • 1HD-T engine
  • H151 transmission
  • part-time kit with ABS sensor relocation kit
  • white body
  • tan interior
  • 3rd row seats
  • as close to mint condition as possible

I know some of you make fun of 80s and our built in ice cube makers, but the fact is the most miles this truck will see are paved highway. Hopefully most trips include some gravel or sand at the end, but I'd rather be on the I-5 heading to Baja over rock crawling any day of the week.

We've had our HDJ81 for three years now and it's been great, but other than the engine, it doesn't really tick any of the boxes on my wish list. A few weeks ago I spied a good looking truck on Portland Craigslist. One-owner, garage-kept, accident-free, white/beige. No lockers unfortunately, but I can always add ARBs. So I hopped on a plane at 6am and was on the 5:20pm ferry home from Port Angeles with a shiny new truck!

Eli isn't the only one who got a little brother!.jpg

Well, gotta start somewhere -- why not start at the top and work down. The factory rack has gotta go! What a flimsy piece of junk -- it is "riv-nutted" into un-reinforced sheet metal. It turns out the riv-nuts are rusted, and the feet have worn oval shapes through the paint down to bare metal which is also starting to rust.

Step one is removing the headliner. One of the benefits of a 1996 truck is that it has a moulded cardboard headliner that is fairly easy to take in and out... after you remove about 100 grab handles and pieces of trim.

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

I've read many threads on filling both roof rack and flare holes... everything from plugs covered with bedliner to professionally welding and painting the entire panel. I wanted to do something less redneck than bedliner but also cheaper than a professional paint job. Also I definitely don't trust myself welding sheet metal.

So I got some scrap sheet metal and cut out a bunch of little 1" circles on the drill press. I made 16 for the roof holes and another 32 for the fender flares (there will be some spares -- I think the flares only need 24 or 28). I primed and painted them and then glued them to the underside of the roof with body panel adhesive. I will then fill and sand around each hole on the roof and attempt to blend some new white paint over the area. If that all goes successfully I will try my flares :) The adhesive was a bit runny, so I rigged up some rare earth magnets and strips of metal to hold the circles in place while the adhesive set.

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

To access the underside of the front rack holes, I had to remove the sunroof assembly. As it happens, the sunroof on this truck was broken anyway and wouldn't open. So I took the opportunity to disassemble it and find the broken part. Good thing I have a "parts truck" with a working sunroof :) I swapped over the broken part. Even through the 1991 part is slightly different from the 1996 part, it still fits and works great.

After a thorough clean and new white grease on everything, it opens and closes smooth as budda :D I also took the opportunity to use a carpet cleaner on the sun-shade carpet. I will carpet-clean the rest of the headliner before I put it back, too.

Once my roof holes were all glued up, I reinstalled the repaired sunroof assembly with loc-tite everywhere and silicone caulk to seal the drain hoses.

IMG_0627.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

Right on Nat! This is going to be a sweet ride.

I love the fact that you are tearing up two perfectly good trucks to make one. Add in a manual and the cool factor just keeps rising. Ill be keeping an eye on this thread as Im working on the wife to go for the same thing one day.

Now, I'm sure there will be a rather abundant "parts sale" at some point, let me know when so I can purchase some 80 for my 60! (insert circling vulture emotocon here) LOL.

Oh, and on the locker thing..... I'd go ARB over the factory electric option any day.

So are you going to keep the 3rd row seats or slide in your new "kitchen-storage-fridge-bassbox" unit?

Very cool, I really like where this is going. I too will be following this closely, as it is also something I've thought of doing sometime as well. You do have your work cut out for you though!

let me know when so I can purchase some 80 for my 60!

Will do! I'm counting on you guys to help me recover some of my costs :hillbilly: There will definitely be a set of 80 axles available (full floater with discs), mechanical A442F tranny, transfer case, RHD frame... I'll probably sell most of the plastic dash trim and stuff on eBay. Centre console cooler and altimeter/compass unit will also be available! Maybe I'll keep the doors and glass as spares. And the roof from my old truck might get cut off and turned into a Westy-style pop top for the new truck :cheers: Oh, and a very well maintained gas engine + electronic tranny will be available...

So are you going to keep the 3rd row seats or slide in your new "kitchen-storage-fridge-bassbox" unit?

Keeping the 3rd row. They come in and out very easily. When I built my storage box I was feeling cheap and used scrap 5/8 flooring plywood that I had lying around. This turned out to be an error in judgement, as the thing weighs about 200 lbs EMPTY! I am going to buy some lighter 1/4 or 3/8 birch plywood and build a dedicated box for the fridge, just to protect the compressor and coil on the back. This will allow me or :princess: to take the fridge in and out by ourselves. I will then build a lighter stand-alone drawer, and get some compression clasps so the fridge will attach to the top. So the drawer should be light enough (when empty) for me to take it out by myself too. This system will provide versatility to use the truck as a kid-and-grocery-hauler during the week, add just the fridge for trips to the beach, or add the drawer+fridge for camping trips.

Regarding the subwoofer... I'm going to start by upgrading all the factory speakers first. If I still want a sub, it will be smaller and built into the truck somehow. Either in a rear quarter or maybe even a couple tiny subs under the front seats? Definitely not going to use up any trunk space with it anymore.

FYI, our HDJ81 on 33" Duratracs has averaged 13.11 L/100km over the past 2 years. The best we've got was 11.43 on a trip. The new FZJ80, which has been meticulously dealer-serviced and is rolling on brand new "stock" Michelins got 15.18 on its first tank. I'm hoping that 5spd + part-time + less aggressive tires will get us down in the 10.xx range on the finished truck. So the fuel savings and range increase will be very significant compared to what was originally available in North America.

I am sitting on the ferry right now, heading to ATEB with the HDJ. Hoping they can help clear up some smoke before I start the engine swap. If they can't make it smoke less I might just sell the HDJ and buy a different engine from Japan.

Cool, a thread with a guy actually working on a cruiser...

Fun looking project.

I contemplate something similar at some point when I get back into the cruiser world...well, the LHD 80 with a diesel part anyways...although, if prices continue to drop, an rhd 80 will be worth a 6pack and some belly button lint in a year or two.

You should be able to get all your money back from this project out of Cam. If he starts twitching about price feed him some cider, you can probably sell him the axles twice at least.

Like the direction you are going with the swap, if you spend a few days reading threads on swaps you will see a common mistake is digging into the dash wiring..

Iron Giant in California has done a few and he and GS do all there wiring under the hood..:beer:

If you could get your hands on both wiring schematics I am sure it is pretty basic.. Tach from diesel 80 into gasser..

Im kinda old school and would of closed in that sunroof, one less thing to go wrong..

Wish ya were closer would of lent a hand if you needed:)

Rob

he and GS do all there wiring under the hood...

If you could get your hands on both wiring schematics I am sure it is pretty basic.. Tach from diesel 80 into gasser..

Oh really... I actually hadn't realized that. But I do have both EWDs and I was planning to splice the wires either just inside or outside the firewall. But you're probably right -- engine bay will be easier on my back :) I figure it only takes 3 wires to make the diesel run, and the rest are just gauge sensors which I can figure out in due time.

Im kinda old school and would of closed in that sunroof, one less thing to go wrong..

Yes, but it was way easier and cleaner looking to just replace the one broken piece. Otherwise I'm welding, grinding, and trying to button up a headliner.

Where are you getting your h151???

Just placed my order :bounce::bounce::bounce: Paradise Auto Parts in Australia. One pallet with transmission, bell housing, crossmember, flywheel, pedal cluster, shifter, master cylinder, and some hydraulic hard lines. Should be here in 1-3 months.

Gonna be a sweet truck fo sure, Sheldon did the exact install, I think he went all out and ordered the wiring harness for a left hand drive diesel.. out of Germany?

You will have to get the foot pedal assembly, clutch reservoir etc, I am sure you are aware of all that;).

Rob:beer:

Last edited:
Before I re-installed the headliner, I upgraded the tweeters. Not sure how much they really add to the sound, but... may as well get everything done under that headliner so I don't have to remove it again for a looong time :)

I spent some time filling, sanding, and painting the roof. After 3 trips to the paint store, the colour match is bang on :doh: My spray job isn't that great, but only tall guys would notice :hillbilly: The previous owner severely dented and actually cracked the tailgate in one spot, backing into his boat trailer apparently. So I got a used tailgate that was "dent free" (although quite scratched). Sanded it down and sprayed it too while I was on a roll.

And today my first package arrived from Australia! Part-time with ABS relocator kit. I will install the axle part (hubs and ABS stuff) while I'm waiting for my transmission to arrive (1-3 months). Also will start working on pulling my 1HD-T next week, and think about which parts I can sell off my HDJ81.

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

I helped a buddy out in the past do a part time kit on his 81. Make sure the output bearing is shimmed properly.

Ok finally getting my hands dirty. Now that the "Crusty Run" is past, I took the plates off the HDJ81 and pulled the engine.

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

Bye bye automatic transmission -).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom