Diesel problems (?) 1HD-FT (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I have a problem with my 1HD-FT, ran out of diesel and now it’s idling bad and while driving it’s even worse. Max rpm between 1200-1800

Changed diesel filter, took out diesel armature from the tank, cleaned the pre-filter, drained the tank and cleaned the inside of the fuel lines.

Any suggestions?

Check all of the hose fittings, and carefully look at your filter. My guess is that you are sucking air into the fuel system from somewhere.
Get some clear 1/2" hose 12mm and install from the filter to the ip. You can also run clear hose before the filter. If you see air bubbles then work your way up the system, tightening or replacing as required.
If she was running fine before you started the project then it's something you did.
Also bypass the pre-filter, I have seen threads sucking air under vaccum.
Another simple test is dropping a clear fuel line into a container of fresh fuel, again if she starts to run well ihe problem is something you did or forgot to do.
Oh,
If you are confident in the work you performed then allow the engine to run for a while, these things normally clear up IF everything else is good and tight.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Pre filter? Where is it located? I have changed the hoses and clamps from the firewall to the IP.

You mentioned a pre filter in your post.
If you are still having a problem try a clear hose into a clean container of fuel directly to the injection pump. If she runs better then you know the problem is upstream. White smoke and stuttering is generally air being sucked into the fuel line.
Best to do the easy things first.

The clear hose test is priceless.

10 minutes, $5 for hose. You'll see instantly if air is an issue. Save yourself heaps of time and guess work

How much have you driven it since the issue started?
If you aren't getting more air into the system, and bubbles from changing filters or running out of fuel should clear the system with a few minutes of driving

have you bled the system?

it will take you all of 5 minutes and even if you are reintroducing air (which I don't think you are), I suspect you will have an immediate "ahah" moment

Last edited:
The problem have lasted about one month, changed all the fuel lines from the tank to the filter, changed filter ones more, she is still not getting better…
I will try the clear hose test.
I also found a small leak for IP,
IMG_2237.jpeg

The problem have lasted about one month, changed all the fuel lines from the tank to the filter, changed filter ones more, she is still not getting better…
I will try the clear hose test.
I also found a small leak for IP, View attachment 3518272

That adjusts the timing advance within the pump.
Not sure if it can be removed/replaced without disassembling the pump

How many miles/KMs on your injection pump? Has it been rebuilt? It may possibly need rebuilt.

I had a similar “stutter” issue with my FTE and tried everything, including checking with clear hose and swapping out fuel lines from IP to tank including pickup and screen only to find out the IP was shot. It was a ton of work chasing the little issues only to find out it needed rebuilt. FTE Mick and others told me that since the 70 series FTE injection pump is still available, replace it as replacing is cheaper than rebuilding an FTE pump. Sorry for the long winded side note but figured it might help.

if you ran out of fuel and got it started back it could simply be air at injectors. crack each injector line at the injector until fuel shoots out, count 4 sec then tighten back up
after you run through all 6, report back if idle has cleared up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom