Builds Euro 1HD-FT Turbo Diesel/H151F 5 Speed Manual LHD 96' USA Swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More or less finished the last big hurdle on this swap today as the AC system is installed and functioning correctly. Since the system had been apart for nearly 3 years, I replaced the drier (required) and the expansion valve as cheap insurance. I also cleaned out the evaporator really well. All the O-rings were replaced with OEM stuff and I added about 4oz of PAG 46 to the system.

This is a rebuilt Denso compressor, likely a 10PA15C. It came without the top manifold block however I sourced the correct one (HP1003) from Coldhose.com in Florida.
View attachment 1262988

Coldhose.com was a great company to work with. I looked at trying to source the OEM Toyota suction and discharge AC lines however they are either not available or prohibitively expensive. I ended up sending the original 1FZ AC lines to Coldhose and they modified them to work with the Denso compressor. They reused several of the OEM Toyota block fittings and lengthened the hoses as required. The HP1003 block also uses male O-ring fittings and Coldhose provided these also. The cost to have both hoses modified was only $60 with shipping, one of the cheaper things on this conversion. I covered the suction hose with some heat shielding (good to 2,000 degrees) from Thermal Solutions then torqued everything to spec per the FSM.
View attachment 1262993

Then, for the first time in my life, I drove this down to the local Toyota dealer where the system was properly charged. They vacuumed it first (no leaks :D) then added the refrigerant. The system now blows nice and cold in only seconds after activating the pump. Should be very handy when the wife and I head off to Alaska in the next 2 weeks for an extended camping/fishing trip.

Along the way, I also added a second battery after relocating the windshield washer bracket. Dual batteries (in parallel) are pretty nice. I plugged in my large 80 quart ARB fridge/freezer and ran it just shy of 5 days. In total, battery voltage only dropped roughly 3/4 of a volt. I'm happy :cheers:
View attachment 1263000

Now I'm compiling a huge amount of spare parts for a roughly 5,000 mile roadtrip.....

You rock! The compressor manifold information will help me a ton with my 1HZ FJ60 swap.

I am tired of the trying to fit compressor into FT, FZ does not fit and HD hever had option of three contours - rear AC, front AC and ice box. For some reason even in Japan I could find compressor with index 17 for FT. They all comes with index 15 which means they are smaller and have less output to maintain 2 ACs and ice box. So I got my hands to Mercedes Benz Passenger sprinter Van 18 seater with large enough AC to support such a large cabin and it has index 21 :) big smile on my face. Surprisingly it was made in Japan by Nissen for MB with Denso clutch

@Rock40

Man, I wish I lived closer to you (or anyone else with a diesel). How does that pump timing tool work? Are they expensive? I suspect that you are getting faster performance than me and better gas mileage at the same time. (I get 18.5 pretty consistently, regardless of my driving style) My brain is obsessed with hitting the 20mpg mark. Think pump timing could affect EGTs and economy like that? Or do you think that your 1HDFT's technology enables better mileage and I should stop while I'm ahead? (I've put 35,000 miles on my rig as well)

The took is fairly straightforward, once you figure out what it's doing. It takes VERY LITTLE pump adjustment/movement to make a big difference in the timing. I would not be comfortable just winging it without the too. The high spec (European) for the pump is 1.58mm of plunger stroke. I added just a touch more and went with 1.6mm since @yotahed suggested bumping the timing a tad. I'll say this now: It's REALLY helpful to have a friend assist you with turning the crankshaft while you watch the gauge. With the engine in the truck, it's extremely hard to do both yourself.

To set the timing, you'll need to loosen all your injector lines which is a bit of a stinker. The took came from Australia and I think was close to $200 US? Then add the gauge and you get the idea. Here's an instructional video from the folks I sourced the tool from:
How to time a VE Style fuel pump – Denco Diesel & Turbo News

You rock! The compressor manifold information will help me a ton with my 1HZ FJ60 swap.
Nice :) I'm glad some of the numbers strewn throughout this thread have helped others.

The took is fairly straightforward, once you figure out what it's doing. It takes VERY LITTLE pump adjustment/movement to make a big difference in the timing. I would not be comfortable just winging it without the too. The high spec (European) for the pump is 1.58mm of plunger stroke. I added just a touch more and went with 1.6mm since @yotahed suggested bumping the timing a tad. I'll say this now: It's REALLY helpful to have a friend assist you with turning the crankshaft while you watch the gauge. With the engine in the truck, it's extremely hard to do both yourself.

To set the timing, you'll need to loosen all your injector lines which is a bit of a stinker. The took came from Australia and I think was close to $200 US? Then add the gauge and you get the idea. Here's an instructional video from the folks I sourced the tool from:
How to time a VE Style fuel pump – Denco Diesel & Turbo News

Looks like I will leave it alone and spend my time enjoying my diesel! Thanks for the feedback.

That Denco video makes it look easy. I might have to hit you up and borrow that tool once I get my engine in.

That Denco video makes it look easy. I might have to hit you up and borrow that tool once I get my engine in.
Yeah, no problem. It's fairly straightforward and there is a LOT of adjustment possible

Ok turned my AC unit into workshop, AC compressor from passenger Mercedes Sprinter part # A 000 234 31 made by Nissen. Which is kind of strange for Merc they use Japanese compressor.
So next week I should get it back installable into FT. Hoping to get better performance.
Next step will be replacement of the alternator, the one I am looking to install is Valeo part # 021 903 026 L 180AMPs.

Last edited:
Just an update on this build, it's been about 40,000 miles since it all was completed at this point.

After quite a bit of debate and research, I elected to install the Trail Tamer 10% OD gears and also the 3.1:1 low range gears when Valley Hybrids was having their Christmas sale. I also went part time in the case and installed a Marlin spool and Aisin hubs. I did have some doubts because many had posted that they hated part time for various reasons or that AWD was simply just better.

Once the gears were in, I did a trip yesterday to Eastern WA. I fueled up at a station near the house and at the end of the trip, re-fueled at the same station using the exact same pump and method. In total, it was 330 miles of driving and I went over three mountain passes (Snoqualmie 3,015', Blewett 4,124' and Stevens 4,061') At the end of the day, fuel economy was 24.47 mpg which is a 20% INCREASE over what I normally was getting. Not only that, but the OD transfer case gears essentially net a 28% OD using the H151F and the engine seems to be operating much more comfortably in it's torque and powerband. All the driving I did was between 55-65mph on stock sized tires and stock 4.10 axle gears. I pulled all the mountain passes in 5th gear at about 55mph and EGT's sat at 900-1,000 with boost right around 15psi

If you're considering the OD transfer case gears or going part time, I'd highly recommend it. Neither my wife or I have noticed any handling differences although I will be more careful when it's slick out.

Last edited:
@Rock40 no noise with your transfer case gears? Radio off, windows closed, you can't hear anything?

I am so tempted to try again, because I have heard a number of people say they are quiet. But then last week someone contacted me with the same noise issue....... so maybe there is inconsistent manufacturing, or maybe some old sets still around...

Trying to figure out how you are calculating a 28% OD on the H151. 10% OD after the transmission is still only 10% of your final drive ratio, or am I missing something?

@Rock40 no noise with your transfer case gears? Radio off, windows closed, you can't hear anything?

I am so tempted to try again, because I have heard a number of people say they are quiet. But then last week someone contacted me with the same noise issue....... so maybe there is inconsistent manufacturing, or maybe some old sets still around...
I have them in my 80.
Very quiet. As quiet as stock.
Whereas my old FJ60 had the old Marks gears and they sounded loud.
My BJ74 has the 4:1 kit and those are quieter than the old Marks splitcase gears; but they are slightly noticeable.

But the 80 series 3:1 kit and overdrive kit is quiet quiet quiet. Windows up or Down or whatever.

Just an update on this build, it's been about 40,000 miles since it all was completed at this point.

After quite a bit of debate and research, I elected to install the Trail Tamer 10% OD gears and also the 3.1:1 low range gears when Valley Hybrids was having their Christmas sale. I also went part time in the case and installed a Marlin spool and Aisin hubs. I did have some doubts because many had posted that they hated part time for various reasons or that AWD was simply just better.

Once the gears were in, I did a trip yesterday to Eastern WA. I fueled up at a station near the house and at the end of the trip, re-fueled at the same station using the exact same pump and method. In total, it was 330 miles of driving and I went over three mountain passes (Snoqualmie 3,015', Blewett 4,124' and Stevens 4,061') At the end of the day, fuel economy was 24.47 mpg which is a 20% INCREASE over what I normally was getting. Not only that, but the OD transfer case gears essentially net a 28% OD using the H151F and the engine seems to be operating much more comfortably in it's torque and powerband. All the driving I did was between 55-65mph on stock sized tires and stock 4.10 axle gears. I pulled all the mountain passes in 5th gear at about 55mph and EGT's sat at 900-1,000 with boost right around 15psi

If you're considering the OD transfer case gears or going part time, I'd highly recommend it. Neither my wife or I have noticed any handling differences although I will be more careful when it's slick out.

Georg @ValleyHybrid installed the TT overdrive in my transfer. I used the original 80 transfer and not the one that came with the H151 from Europe. I drove to San Luis Obispo at 65mph (mostly flat) and got 24.9 mpg. EGT runs 650F (pre turbo) on the flats. By the way, also have part time with Aisin hubs. Works great.

What RPM are you running at 65 mph?

I'm curious about this as well. The Marlin spool and 3.1:1 low range are sitting on the shelf next to a spare TC and I wondering if the Trail Tamer 10% OD gears are worth it with the auto.

Last edited:
If anyone is wondering how much part-time 4wd saves in fuel? It's soo little that modern utes don't bother disconnecting the front axle when in 2wd.

OP's fuel economy increase is virtually all from the gearing.

Trying to figure out how you are calculating a 28% OD on the H151. 10% OD after the transmission is still only 10% of your final drive ratio, or am I missing something?
I believe 5th on the H151 is 0.80 so 20% OD from the factory. Add an addition 10% from the OD transfer case gears for an additional 8% OD. (10% of 0.80)

Yeah, they are quiet and I was wondering how that would go myself. The Trail Tamer gears are certainly no louder than the stock gears. The whole truck actually sounds quieter on the highway and that is with the radio off and windows up. Possibly a combination of all the front output stuff not turning and the lower engine RPM's but I'm guessing the engine RPM's are primarily responsible.

Georg @ValleyHybrid installed the TT overdrive in my transfer. I used the original 80 transfer and not the one that came with the H151 from Europe. I drove to San Luis Obispo at 65mph (mostly flat) and got 24.9 mpg. EGT runs 650F (pre turbo) on the flats. By the way, also have part time with Aisin hubs. Works great.

They are right around 2350 I believe. 60mph is dead on at 2200 rpm. Not sure if it would be different with an auto since I don't know what the factory OD 4th is. The 1HD-FT also probably makes torque lower down in the rpm range compared to the 1FZ

How’s first gear with those gears? I went to h150 to compensate.
1st gear seems fine, probably because the tires are stock sized. It's still pretty damn low and you definitely hit 2nd before you cross the intersection coming out of light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom