Electrical help with heater blower on '78 SA FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What, in the name of all that's holy, is that 30A fuse doing in there? Pull that out and take a hammer to it and replace it with the correct size circuit protection device, please.

Good afternoon.
I have a couple of photos.
The IG switch..
Both sides of the fuse block.....
Next steps???

20201207_145223.jpg

20201207_145750.jpg

20201207_145815.jpg

Looks like a red wire to one side of the 15A fuse and yellow/black wire from the other side of the fuse to the IG.
Do you suspect the is a jumper? Not sure what I should be looking for.
Where are these wires at? I do not see them in your photos.

Per schematic: four wires coming from ignition are Black/White, Black/Yellow, Blue/Red and White/Blue. Confirm what the wires appear to be below:

Ignition_LI.jpg

First thing is to take pictures of the front and back showing all of the wire color codes and locations and which fuse goes into which holder.

Second thing is to disconnect everything from the fuse block and using a small wire brush, I use a .223 bore brush, clean every contact on the block until bright and shiny and then rinse with DI water and dry with compressed air. Do the same with the female contacts on the wires.

Third thing is get rid of the tape circled in red and replace the tape with adhesive lined heat shrink.

Fuse Block.jpg
Fuse Block.jpg

You have correctly identified that four wire colors on the IG.

Can I use the new fuse block that I bought? This one doesn't have a cover...

20201205_150952.jpg

Black/Yellow runs from IGnition to one side of the fuse block, and is connected with a 15 amp fuse to a Blue/Red wire on the other side of the fuse block, then thr Blue /Red wire runs under dash to the heater blower switch. See photo below and identify:

Ignition2_LI.jpg

Whoops, pointed to the same wire - EDIT

Ignition2_LI (2).jpg

You have correctly identified that four wire colors on the IG.
In that case, then something's off - you have a Black/Red instead of White/Blue coming out of your IGnition. WTF?

So, what color is the wire on the other side of the fuse block? They share the same fuse.

I'll work on wire colors tomorrow weather permitting. I don't have a comfortable shed to work on my FJ.

Guys:
It warmed up enough to allow me some time to work on wire colors.
I created a diagram and here is another photo with the wires cleaned up.
Craig

20201209_155102 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Does your wiring diagram show a yellow / black wire anywhere? You have to be concise, consistant and accurate when describing any electrical issue. This includes wiring color codes, fuses or weird do-hickeys. Do not expect us to try to decipher your inaccurate descriptions and come up with meaningful suggestions.

Where in your wiring madness is the WL wire spliced into the BR wire going to the ignition switch?

Where is the R "jumper" that you mentioned back in Post#37?

Guys: I really appreciate the help as I would otherwise be at a loss. Giving you exactly what you are asking for accurately is also what I am trying to do. To ensure I am calling out the wire color correctly; ie, WL is a white wire with a light blue stripe? And BR is a black wire with a red stripe? The 1st letter being the "wire" color and the 2nd letter the "stripe" color.

I am attaching a copy of the wiring diagram I have.

The jumper I spoke of was just me speculating what problem might be with the fan pull.

In the photo of the fuse block is the circled RB wire in the correct place? Shouldn't it be on the other side with a fuse in between?

Thanks again, Craig

wiring diagram 121020a.jpg

fuse blk 121020a.jpg

@cws57 and @Cromagnon - this thread is helping others, too. I appreciate it. I'll be adding heat to my SA 40 at some point, and the diagrams and conversation is helping me get my head around what's in store for me.

Keep it up! And thank you.

You're welcome :flipoff2:

"WL is a white wire with a light blue stripe? And BR is a black wire with a red stripe? The 1st letter being the "wire" color and the 2nd letter the "stripe" color. "
This is correct.

The wire you have circled is LR (bLue with Red stripe). And you are correct it should be on the fused side. There is also another LR wire that goes from the fuse to the radio.

The wires you are calling yellow black are actually BY (black/yellow). Makes a big difference if you are trying to trace the wiring diagram.

You should follow that LR wire up the harness and see what it comes from. Could be a repair and the only wire they had to fix whatever was the problem. If you are forced to do that make sure you mark the wire with the correct color code and what it comes from / goes to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom