Electrical help with heater blower on '78 SA FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can I use an ohm meter on the LR wire from the fuse block to the end of the plug under the dash for the fan pull?

Sure...as long as there is no voltage on it. Check first with VDC setting.

Guys: Break in winter and I managed to ohm out the pull fan plug and the fuse bus bars. I hope my diagram makes sense. Between the fan pull plug WB wire and the WB wires on the fuse bus bar I measured some resistance.

Thanks, Craig

20201216_161512.jpg

Last edited:
What is the WB wire? WB I believe should be a WL as you show in the second set of pictures. You show BB on the "Pull Fan PLug" that can't be possible because it would be a black wire with a black stripe. The first letter is the color of the wire insulation and the second letter is the color of the stripe. Make sure you use L for bLue or you will get advise that is not going to help. Correct your diagram with the corresponding color codes for the wire.

The WL wire that is going to the "BB" wire on the plug is not correct. Look at your wiring diagram and see where it should be connected and correct it.

In your diagram the Fuse Bus on the Left should not have any wires coming off of it going to the plug. That is your power feed for the fuse block.
In your diagram the Fuse Bus on the Right are the "Protected" circuits. They all run through a fuse. These should go to the appropriate circuits i.e. radio, heater, engine, etc.

There should be a fuse marked "Heater" fed from the left by a BY wire and going out the right side with a LR (Right side Bus, first down from the top) wire going to the "Pull Fan Plug." This should go to position 2 on the plug (HINT: This is the power that feeds all of the other wires on the plug through the switch).

The LB wires go to the "High" position on the front blower and the power feed to the rear blower. The rear blower only has one speed and comes on when "High" is selected. These are positions 1 and 3 on the plug.

The remaining wire, LW, goes to the "Low" position on the front blower. This is position 4 on the plug.

Let us know how you do.

Last edited:
I have gotten a better photo of the wire colors coming out the back of the fan pull plug. They match up with the wire colors on the fan pull switch. With the clip on the right side, there are two blue black wires on the left side of the plug, blue white in the upper right, and blue red in the lower right. My fuse block had no labeling and when I looked at the fuses there are 10, 15, 20, 30a fuses. PO just put in what ever he had.....

20201217_161643.jpg

fan pull male female 121720.jpg

20201026_143553.jpg

Last edited:
PAY ATTENTION!!

The first letter is the color of the wire insulation and the second letter is the color of the stripe. Make sure you use L for bLue or you will get advise that is not going to help. Correct your diagram with the corresponding color codes for the wire. If you want to use B for blue go ahead but you are only putting your foot up your own butt. Have a good time figuring this out on your own,

I was going to clean up the two fuse blocks and use the new fuse holder with appropriately sized fuses.

20201216_173535_LI (2).jpg

20201205_150952.jpg

I updated my fuse block diagram and remeasured the wired in the pull fan plug with the same results.
It seems like the LW and LR in the pull fan plug are switched. Shouldn't I be measuring a short between the LR in the pull fan plug and the LR opposite the BY on the fuse block?

20201218_153026.jpg

wiring diagram 121820.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom