Builds Electric TLC FJ-40 Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The battery link mentions liquid cooling/heating - is that something that has to be addressed - especially when enclosed? How much more capacity could you fit if you also used the space under the bed or the engine bay for batteries?

Typically used for heating in cold climate. Non-issue for the build.

Is the battery pack going to make the rear seat too high? Often bench seats mounted to the top of the fenders are too high for rear passengers.

Could a battery pack be built to mount under the floor?

No. Susceptible to damage, no block space. Could really add anywhere but this is the best design location. Could add in front but we are not needing range and we want a really clean build. Seat as "set on top" with long legs with a 6' fellow left 3" of head room side are of center seat. Lower for bench seat due to sloping ceiling. Center with legs removed works out well. Maybe not the best adult seating but practical for short hauls. Ideal for kids.

Preparing batter box for the Tesla Gen 1 Smart Module 36 kWhr pack. Lid fitment, holes and counter sink holes & tapping. Battery mount bars water jetted, cut and tapped. Lay out and fitment into box. Mount bars fitted into box with counter sinking. Next steps: paint to match color, install into FJ, load battery pack.

IMG_9089.jpg

View attachment 1665357

View attachment 1665358

IMG_9088.jpg

IMG_9096.jpg

Battery Box Installed. Dynamat on bed. Color matched the battery box. Mounted battery bars to box, box the FJ, and batteries to bars. Tons of prepwork to get this in. 12 box mounting M8's countersunk and backed with fender washers. 48 botls to mount batteries to their water jetted brackets. @40 lid screw. All drilled, tapped, and recessed. The 12 Tesla Smart modules fit well and the box has better than average room for BMS and for pending internal HV wiring.

IMG_9228.jpg
IMG_9227.jpg
IMG_9226.jpg
IMG_9233.jpg
IMG_9238.jpg

How did I miss this? :popcorn:

Started mapping the bell housing for an adapter plate. Looking into solutions for a less than 30lb flywheel! Thinking a 200mm Aluminum FW mated with a Stage 3 pressure plate.... but TBD.... Have a solution in the works for motor mount and dual motor connector.. more coming...

upload_2018-5-17_17-46-3.png

upload_2018-5-17_17-48-51.png

Very cool project. I am just starting a restoration of a 1970 FJ40 and I want to convert it to electric. Please keep the posts coming and make sure to document the conversion here and/or on YouTube. There isn't really much out there for resources for those of us that want to do a conversion from gas to electric

I really like this conversion but everyone has different opinions about things and in my case I always figured there was plenty of room under the rear floorboard for batteries.
You are the man with the tape measure so can't really argue the design but I would not be comfortable with the batteries in the cockpit, even in the bang up box you built.

Are you going to run just one AC50? I thought you mentioned twin 50's.

Twin 50’s and no change there. CAD drawings more for adapter plate use vs showing motors.

No contigous room below and suspension travel poses a hazard above shaft and rear diff. Would if we could safely. Cant really comment on gas vs batt safety but noteworthy that the gas tank is/was under the passenger seat :).

Check out a Tesla S pan “unsealed”.

upload_2018-6-5_8-5-9.jpeg

I really like this conversion but everyone has different opinions about things and in my case I always figured there was plenty of room under the rear floorboard for batteries.
You are the man with the tape measure so can't really argue the design but I would not be comfortable with the batteries in the cockpit, even in the bang up box you built.

Are you going to run just one AC50? I thought you mentioned twin 50's.

upload_2018-6-5_8-5-9.png

Twin 50’s and no change there. CAD drawings more for adapter plate use vs showing motors.

No contigous room below and suspension travel poses a hazard above shaft and rear diff. Would if we could safely. Cant really comment on gas vs batt safety but noteworthy that the gas tank is/was under the passenger seat :).

Check out a Tesla S pan “unsealed”.

View attachment 1716669

View attachment 1716670
"noteworthy that the gas tank is/was under the passenger seat"
Ya got me there.
Just that back when I converted my car, high voltage in the cockpit was one of the big no's.
Keep up the good work.

I think the Lexus CEO has an interesting concern. The land cruiser market is small in America, but big in south America, Australia, and Africa. In those countries they are used for trekking the outback, crossing rivers, mountains, jungles, or deserts. Would a electric land cruiser work for such use? It would be cool to see it tested and tried and see what happens. If a electric land cruiser had a range of around 350 miles or so, I think it would be a possibility. But then too electricity can be tough to come by in such areas. Could make charging difficult.

I think the Lexus CEO has an interesting concern. The land cruiser market is small in America, but big in south America, Australia, and Africa. In those countries they are used for trekking the outback, crossing rivers, mountains, jungles, or deserts. Would a electric land cruiser work for such use? It would be cool to see it tested and tried and see what happens. If a electric land cruiser had a range of around 350 miles or so, I think it would be a possibility. But then too electricity can be tough to come by in such areas. Could make charging difficult.
Keep in mind too that at least with current electric vehicle technology if there is no designated charging station (of which I would imagine there are 0 in the majority of the mentioned areas) plugging it into a standard outlet may take 24 hours or so for a full charge.

The billet aluminum adapter plate is back from the machine shop and is looking good..... We are working on the motor mounting structure now and soon as we have that the fun part of the build starts!

IMG_9950.jpg
View attachment 1755102
IMG_9950.jpg
IMG_9949.jpg

IMG_9948.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom