Builds Electric TLC FJ-40 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thinking about doing the same thing down the road, thanks for trail blazing!

I want to see someone take one of the newer small high-efficiency diesel engines and build a proper diesel-electric - just like a train. I've said for 30+yrs this is a better platform and would give a better real-world range without any fear of running out of power. With storage capacity technology now it's feasible to make the system even more efficient with stop/start on-demand integration. There are OEM's exploring this option, shows a lot of promise versus standard battery-only setups. An electric Cruiser would be cool, but recharging out in the sticks is going to take one huge solar panel, lol.

At least it's a start - some of these conversions give some amazing results in older vehicles.

Sarge

Totally ignorant on electric vehicles, be curious about drivability in off road terrain, i.e. engine or gear hold-back on steep descends???

I am not intending to rain on your parade, it should be an interesting and unique build. But, why not pick another vehicle other than this iconic and increasingly rare car. Other than the "something different" factor it is about as practical as a nuclear hand grenade. Just my humble opinion. Again good luck and will be watching your progress. :cheers:

I think the 40 is a darn good candidate. Plenty of room for batteries under the rear deck and can handle any extra weight and torque.

The EV factor adds to the uniqueness.

I wish I had the energy, and MONEY!

Totally ignorant on electric vehicles, be curious about drivability in off road terrain, i.e. engine or gear hold-back on steep descends???
EV should have better torque than a gas car, which is good for climbing hills. Steep descend will trigger the regen mechanism to recharge the battery and provide free braking at the same time. All is good as long as you don't tread deep water. A flooded EV will experience sudden death. It's also unlikely a FJ40 can be sufficiently waterproofed.

Electric Power Steering Installed on the1970 FJ. Mods to both the shift and indicator shafts to work around the ePSU and keep OEM functions in place. The units control module has yet to be wired in and will be hidden in the dash.

IMG_8674.jpg
IMG_8672.jpg
IMG_8671.jpg

IMG_8674.jpg

IMG_8640.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 1626555 I suppose one could pick a gear for off road, town or highway and just go - does cruising rpm really matter for electric?

Should be good for cruising in 3rd all day. 1st will be a bit tall. 2nd certainly usable w lots of clean usable torque . Good brakes and programable regeneration for general driving and off-roading regen in-low gears can replace engine "braking" especially using 4x4. Should be really interesting. AC-50 are not going to want to be submerged. Range 80-100 miles with dual 2.5 kWhr chargers. Upgradeable to take advantage of future battery tech if and as needed. Uses a lot less clutch driving which should prove interesting/simple to use.

Posted running motor for sale in classified. Just another motor swap:).

It really would be easier on a post ‘72.... but we just completed the electric power steering install/conversion on the ‘70 last week..... The build is off to a proper start. Conversion pics pending next post.

Is there a thread on this electric power steering install?

Posted running motor for sale in classified. Just another motor swap:).

Where in Encinitas are you? Right next door in Carlsbad - would love to check it out in person as you guys progress!

Noob to electric vehicles but just curious what cost in electricity is needed to charge up a new Tesla which I believe has a 300 mile cruising range?

Noob to electric vehicles but just curious what cost in electricity is needed to charge up a new Tesla which I believe has a 300 mile cruising range?

Ranges by location/rate structure for home & work, your overall use, and also where else you charge. But in general rarely drive to 0 for a refill. Charge when convenient build to your use model via pack and charge capacity. I use both shop and home solar which makes a big impact too. Interesting note: Consumed Gas Equivalent (ground to tank) = @10-14 kW per gallon so say 12 kW for averaging. Tier 1 CA, USA @$0.20 per kWhr. Estimating this build @425Whr per mile avg city.

Awesome. I've been wanting to do something like this for years.

Ok so roughly what would one pay in electric to drive 300 Miles?

Torque vs inertia. Power curve vs. learning curve.

Four decades of working on vintage Cruisers makes me see a trail of broken birfs and diff pinions in your future.

Even SUA you’re going to need an anti-wrap bar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom