Builds Electric TLC FJ-40 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep in mind too that at least with current electric vehicle technology if there is no designated charging station (of which I would imagine there are 0 in the majority of the mentioned areas) plugging it into a standard outlet may take 24 hours or so for a full charge.

We have been using an off grid solar powerwall with a lot of success:). Would agree that 110v is really slow but when not in a hurry the batteries love the slow charge....., but where this FJ is going it will be king.... It can lap the Island 8 times and there is no lack of solar power available.....

Billet dual motor coupling solution designed and sent out for production. Ticking off the boxes in preparation for assembly.

IMG_0242.jpg

More parts and mods.... settled on light weight clutch assembly. 10lb Aluminum flywheel. Clutch disk: OEM FJ40 spline center being put into a flat rigid clutch. FX Racing HD Pressure plate. (BMW fitted parts :)-

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

any more updates on this?

Motors were custom ordered to our specs and will be in from HPEVS in a couple weeks. We just wrapped up final engineering of the mid-motor coupler as we made changes specifically to transfer our motor mount position to mid motor vs end to end. Thanks for staying on us:) - We are in that gather parts, and do all the work that doesn't show up until the build comes together.... The less problems during the build the better the design/plan phase:).

We relocated the build to our expansion facility in Chatsworth/LA to speed up delivery. We are located with Billy Hammon @ Action Vehicle Engineering. Its a great fit and our occupancy is expanding rapidly. We welcome visitors with appointments :)

Likely looking at January for assembly... The Fj and Fiat will be coming out 1st Q 2019 and will be around for a month or two while we shake them down.

Last edited:
I am curious if you plan on using the stock axles, transfer case with this conversion?

The motor package engineering design is nearly complete with several new mods & design improvments over the past month or so. We are stoked with the initial results and even more so to see the results of the assembled "motor block". This motor assembly will be compatible with other 4x4's such as classic Jeep and Broncos. Modeling and fitment in progress on those fitments:).

What do you think so far?

LC WIP1.png
LC WIP2.png
LC WIP3.png

LC WIP1.png

Super cool. Starting capacitors underneath the "rocker covers" or are they just for show?

Funny that the electric car will have an alternator :lol: I'd bet it's for efficiently supplying 12v to the vehicle's electronics, but it's still funny.

Super cool. Starting capacitors underneath the "rocker covers" or are they just for show?

Funny that the electric car will have an alternator :lol: I'd bet it's for efficiently supplying 12v to the vehicle's electronics, but it's still funny.

Retro Optional.... We use DC/DC converters but like the retro use of the alternator... albeit we will use a smaller DC converter in conjunction. Could run an AC compressor but we are going electric w/ the AC compressor as well.

The guy I bought most of the spares for my Dagha Boy build from has established a new business alongside his regular business of TLC spares and TLCs for game lodges.

He is converting all manner of Land Cruisers to electric drive for game lodge use. He is the game lodge owner referred to in the linked article. Since the article was written they have modified and improved quite a lot and have settled on a range of about 300km (which is about 1 week of bush driving for the average game viewer vehicle) and charge time is also improved, solar and grid.

The Toyota EJ79 – The world´s first full electric Land Cruiser

Unfortunately he does not have a website.

The design makes it look like a V8. I imagine that was the plan. I like it.
Why are you running an alternator?
With the budget you seam to have I would think you would use an inverter.

Are you using both and the alt is for backup?
I use just an alternator for my aux battery and it works well except when the vehicle is stopped, then I shut down heater and cooling fans until I start moving again.

Another reason I went with just an alt was some of the other EV DIY'ers were having problems with their inverters.

This is one of the coolest conversions I have seen.
I guess it has a lot to do with the fact that I like electric cars and FJ40 Land Cruisers.

The design makes it look like a V8. I imagine that was the plan. I like it.
Why are you running an alternator?
With the budget you seam to have I would think you would use an inverter.

Are you using both and the alt is for backup?
I use just an alternator for my aux battery and it works well except when the vehicle is stopped, then I shut down heater and cooling fans until I start moving again.

Another reason I went with just an alt was some of the other EV DIY'ers were having problems with their inverters.

This is one of the coolest conversions I have seen.
I guess it has a lot to do with the fact that I like electric cars and FJ40 Land Cruisers.

We are using the alternator. We will have a DC/DC converter too in a "valave cover". Can change the size/output to accommodate "increased" DC requirements as needed. It looks cool, and functions:).

Hello from Portugal!
Loving this article! I was always thinking that Bj40 will be cool electric conversion!
I did see this being announce by evwest but never saw more about it!
I would like to do the same to mine but its difficult to find the right person to do it.
What you think about Siemens motors? I always think put only one motor and a big box with batteries on top of motor and if needed more space for batteries another box where is the tank.
hope to see more new of your build!
Cheers!

Really like the "engine block" idea for the motor package! Clever, functional, and looks great. I'd be proud to have one of those sitting in my beloved cruiser. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom