Early toyotas with late model OEM wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hoping to get some help here please. I have an 85 4runner and looking at possibly doing the icon rebel pros that are 17" with 4.75" back space.

My rig has a pretty substantial lift and currently runs 35s on 15" steelies( not sure of any of the specs).

Does anyone know if I can make these work with out the need for ginormous spacers?

I just want to have the ability to "bead lock" with DOT compliant wheels.

Stock back spacing is 3.5". You can get by with 3.75" but they will rub. That is for a 15" wheel. I suspect the 17" wheels might clear the rod ends, but the additional inch may create a problem inside the wheel well.

Stock back spacing is 3.5". You can get by with 3.75" but they will rub. That is for a 15" wheel. I suspect the 17" wheels might clear the rod ends, but the additional inch may create a problem inside the wheel well.
Thank you. I'm going to take my time and make sure I won't run into problems. Well at least that's the plan. Lol

These are 17x7.5 and came off an '18 or '19 trd pro 4 runner. 285 70r 17s

My rig is an 87 with old man emu 2.5 lift rear springs, 1.5 inch bj spacers and 2 inch body lift(to clear the diesel under the hood)

The rear tire hits the leaf springs U bolts. The front tire hits the upper control arm.

1.5 inches of spacer would allow me to air down off road or pull off the side of a highway with a flat.

I cannot find hubcentric spacer that fit manual hubs and I cannot find lug centric lug nuts to fit stock yota aluminum wheels. Anyone have any pointers?

Also, I think I should have gone with 305s for 315s

20220207_180346.jpg

20220207_180413.jpg

20220207_180354.jpg

I was just running "regular" AL spacers on mine to fit my 7.5 FJC alloys.
If you have to have branded spacers, I recommended Spidertrax.

I actually just bought a set of these wheels to replace my FJCs. Showing the same BS, i don't remember being into the rear springs.(with the FJCs) Obviously close otherwise i wouldn't have added spacers

Thank you for the response. 1.5 inch spacers (cheaper ebay but upgraded grade 8 hardware and extended fasteners) gave me perfect clearance. The tires stick out further than I like, I like the tucked almost pizza cutter flush with the fenders look of the old school rigs, now I stick maybe an inch past the fenders. With all my lift i don't think i have to worry about scrubbing unless maybe she's flexed out. Vibrations at on road/highway speeds are what worry me most. I used extended reach inner lugs with loctite and installed all lugs torqued to 90 ft lbs. I'll tow it to a shop for the alignment but that will be months down the road.

20220212_124958.jpg

Sorry for the double post on another forum. Was sent over here from the tire and wheel tech page:

Hey everyone,

Pretty new here and couldn’t find much using search. I have a ‘92 DLX 4x4 with manual hubs. I’m trying to find some wheels and tires that would fit for this. I rebuilt most of the front end when I inherited it a couple years ago and haven’t driven it a whole lot since. The wheels and tires are stock, (crazy, I know) but it was just a farm truck for my father in law.

Im looking at some 2022 4runner wheels with tires that are $800 total. Im not sure of the exact rim size but they’re 17s with 265/70/17 tires. Looks like the size are any of the 3 options I found on wheel-size.com:

- 7Jx17 ET15
- 7.5Jx17 ET15
- 7Jx17 ET4

Will these fit my truck?

Thanks in advance!

18072D98-2C08-4085-9056-F71E6230B2D0.jpeg

Sorry for the double post on another forum. Was sent over here from the tire and wheel tech page:

Hey everyone,

Pretty new here and couldn’t find much using search. I have a ‘92 DLX 4x4 with manual hubs. I’m trying to find some wheels and tires that would fit for this. I rebuilt most of the front end when I inherited it a couple years ago and haven’t driven it a whole lot since. The wheels and tires are stock, (crazy, I know) but it was just a farm truck for my father in law.

Im looking at some 2022 4runner wheels with tires that are $800 total. Im not sure of the exact rim size but they’re 17s with 265/70/17 tires. Looks like the size are any of the 3 options I found on wheel-size.com:

- 7Jx17 ET15
- 7.5Jx17 ET15
- 7Jx17 ET4

Will these fit my truck?

Thanks in advance!

18072D98-2C08-4085-9056-F71E6230B2D0.jpeg
They will fit but front tires may hit upper control arm. My tires are 285 70 17 and hit pretty good. As stated in previous I went with 1.5 inch spacers. Lug centric in front (spider Trax) and trail gear hub centric in rear. ARP wheel studs and extended reach inner lugs for added safety.

With 265s you may get lucky and just need a 1/4 inch wheel shim spacer and grind a little metal off the outer upper control arm lip.
My wheels are off of a 2019/2020 4 runner

They will fit but front tires may hit upper control arm. My tires are 285 70 17 and hit pretty good. As stated in previous I went with 1.5 inch spacers. Lug centric in front (spider Trax) and trail gear hub centric in rear. ARP wheel studs and extended reach inner lugs for added safety.

With 265s you may get lucky and just need a 1/4 inch wheel shim spacer and grind a little metal off the outer upper control arm lip.
My wheels are off of a 2019/2020 4 runner
Thanks for the reply! So you needed to grind the UCAs even after adding spacers?

That would depend on how big of a spacer you use...
Sorry, new to all this. Trying to figure out what to do for replacing crappy wheels and tires. Been told to go to a different place one time already, should I go somewhere other than the "early toyotas with late model oem wheels" thread??

Sorry, new to all this. Trying to figure out what to do for replacing crappy wheels and tires. Been told to go to a different place one time already, should I go somewhere other than the "early toyotas with late model oem wheels" thread??
This is the right thread. 265/70R17 (31.5x10.5x17) is not a crazy size so that shouldn't be an issue. You may need about an inch spacer depending on the offset/width/spoke profile. Factory alloy wheel is a 15x7 with an 8mm offset and can run 31x10.5in wide tire with no rubbing.

Last edited:
If you can look at the ones on sale, the offset will be on the rims. ET 10 etc. I'm running 17" FJ cruiser rims, 7.5" wide on my 1990 pickup. They rub slightly if you hit a bump at full lock. 285 70 17 I think, IIRC. Truck has a 3" lift.

If you can look at the ones on sale, the offset will be on the rims. ET 10 etc. I'm running 17" FJ cruiser rims, 7.5" wide on my 1990 pickup. They rub slightly if you hit a bump at full lock. 285 70 17 I think, IIRC. Truck has a 3" lift.
Thanks for the reply! I believe those rims should be ET15, but I’m not seeing it in the pictures:
F5FC30CE-6EAD-4255-8237-2FD3EC835368.jpeg

This is the right thread. 265/70R17 (31.5x10.5x17) is not a crazy size so that shouldn't be an issue. You may need about an inch spacer depending on the offset/width/spoke profile. Factory alloy wheel is a 15x7 with an 8mm offset and can run 31x10.5in wide tire with no rubbing.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

all of the late stuff is going to be 4"+ BS.
The rears bolt up without issue.
the front may require a spacer. some rims are 7, some are 7.5
its not the unheard of to take your truck to the wheels and bolt one up to check fitment.

Thanks for the reply! So you needed to grind the UCAs even after adding spacers?

I did not have to do any grinding on the UCA with my 1.5 spacers. I have a ball joint lift so my UCA is more in the meat of the tire where yours will likely be closer to the lip of the rim.

I was saying that you might get lucky with 265s with no ball joint spacer and the wheels may fit with a simple 1/4 inch wheel slip ring spacer and a little trimming. It will be trial and error unless someone on here has exactly the same wheel and tire set.up as you do. Again this is just a guesstimate based on the fitment of mine.

My wheels are 7.5 inch wide iirc, a 7 inch wide rim would help even more. You'll know for sure once you toss them on. They will absolutely fit and work but the width of the spacer will still need to be determined.

At 70 mph I don't notice any odd vibrations from the rig. If I did I'd likely blame it on my eBay china reman 3rd gen drive shaft and not on my lug centric front wheel spacers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom