e85 Flex Fuel Conversion on 2007 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This thread will be about E85 conversions on the 100 series and people's experience with it. It is also a place where I will document my experience installing the eFlexFuel universal conversion kit on my 2007 LX470 and my journey with it.

WG3QhyU.jpg

The basic idea behind "universal" flex fuel conversion kit is that the control box increases the duration of the signal to the fuel injector to inject a higher volume of fuel when running on E85 or other ethanol blends. The kits supply a pigtail for each injector, you pull the stock plug off each injector and plug it into one side of the pigtail, and the other end of the pigtail plugs onto the injector. This allows the control box to modify the signal to the injector outside of what the factory ECU is doing. This is how the kit is able to work with nearly any fuel injected car. They are usually plug and play and completely reversible.

There are many options to choose from, but I chose the eFlexFuel kit because I believe it is the best. The primary reason is because it includes a GM E85 flex fuel sensor. Believe it or not but the majority of E85 kits do not have this sensor. Somehow they are able to make it work but I believe that the eFlexFuel kit will work even better in all scenarios with this extra sensor.

It also includes a temperature sensor for better cold starts on E85.

Here is what my kit came with. I paid the base price of $350, which is also on the lower-end of the kits on the market, another benefit of this kit.

cgjpVg1.png

All wires are nicely covered and all plugs are high quality. Instructions are good and the number of fuel fittings and length of hose is generous, with plenty of extras left over. The fuel filter is OEM Lexus and not included in the kit but was installed at the same time.

The kit was super easy to install and took less than an hour. The only parts under the hood that needed removal were the plastic engine cover, intake and airbox, bracket on driver's side valvecover, and the fuel line from the fuel filter to the fuel rail.

63BvhdV.jpg

The control box I bolted to the driver's side inner fender and ran the wiring tucked out of the way. The instructions said to keep the wires away from high energy electronics like the alternator or coilpacks so I ran them up over the intake manifold and back towards the firewall.

Wmkut6e.jpg

sHYpPQf.jpg

The GM Flex Fuel sensor I just zip tied to one of the fuse boxes for now. I will likely come up with a more permanent mount before very long.

The kit also has bluetooth and connects to their app. The app lets you see the temperature and the ethanol % of your fuel, along with the injector duty cycle. The app is not 100% reliable but is still labeled a Beta so hopefully it will improve.

I was filled up with E10 85 octane and sure enough that's what the sensor read:

G1vt35P.png

With E10 the max duty cycle I saw at WOT was 67%, with E30 it was 73% and it will only go up from there. I believe the 2UZFE injectors are 275cc at factory fuel pressure of 44psi so they should make almost exactly 270-280 hp at 90% duty cycle on E85.

Then I ran to the local E85 station and added 9 gallons of E85 and filled the tank. Within seconds the sensor was reading 36% ethanol. Nice!

S5gtHyi.png

(sorry about the crappy photos)

Truck started and ran flawlessly without even a sputter. Took it out for a few miles later that night all performed awesomely. I believe I feel a power increase along with a change in the engine note but will confirm with science. I recorded a 0-60 run before the conversion and will do a 0-60 run after the conversion with E30 and then later with E85 to see if there's a noticeable difference.

This is the cost of E85 at my local station, $2.15. At another station I can get E10 85 octane for about $2.71. Using the freely available online calculators I will pay off the kit with roughly 5000-7000 miles of driving if only using E85 at current prices depending on what MPG I get. Other locations have differences in prices, though and the cost difference could be larger or smaller. One of the primary purposes I bought my LX470 for is for cross-country road trips so the probability of finding deals and saving money is slightly higher than if I just stayed local.

FuWUxYb.png

So please, come along with me on my journey with Flex Fuel and see if the benefits make sense for you! I'm not even sure they make sense for me but I hope to find out! Has anyone else converted their 100 series to E85? I searched but did not find anyone, though lots of Tacoma/Tundra people have.

What are the long term effects on a 'factory' fuel system? I have always heard it is extremely corrosive as a solvent and melts rubber and if the system was not designed for it then you are preparing for expensive repair bills. Also I have heard you lose mileage, lots of it.
I don't think we even have E85 here, max 10%, then again growing fields of corn isn't our Governments idea of productive...

Im not interested in adding more ethanol to my fuel mix for numerous reasons, but I am interested in your mod and to know the long term impact and results.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:popcorn:

I, like others, have concerns of E85 on fuel system components. What did your research on this reveal?

There have been reports that the ethanol content in today's gasoline has caused issues with the charcoal canister deterioration and fuel pump overheating. Are any of these concerns when you are converting to this type of setup?

I can already tell you what is going to happen.
You can run any gasoline engine on E-85 with no conversion kit, you WILL loose MPG, your fuel pump WILL die sooner than later.
I ran E-85 in my '89 Camry for 3 years because I was dirt ass poor after my divorce. I only drove it about 5,000 miles a year, fuel pump died and I scraped the car. Only paid $500 for it. Car only had 180k when I bought it from it's original owner.
I also ran E-85 in a work van for almost a year, a Ford Econoline with the 5.4L Triton V8, ran like a raped ape until the heat of summer and would not start in the morning once fall came, but the conversion kit would take care of that.
Also ran it in a Volvo turbo wagon for a few years.
Ran it in my lawn mower, don't do that. It will not be happy and you'll need a new carburetor.

The only benefit of the conversion kit wold be cold starts and hot days. On hot days you need more fuel because the ethanol evaporates inside the intake and never reaches the cyclinder, on cold starts you need more fuel because ethanol has less power than gasoline and you need more of it to start the engine.

I have an app on my phone to keep track of MPG, if you are really committed to this and reporting back to us please keep track of your MPG using an app.
So run 3 tanks of E-10, what's your MPG average.
Then run 3 tanks of E-85, whats your MPG average?
5 tanks of each would give you a better MPG average, but I do understand the time it would take to get those numbers might be prohibitive to you and your situation.

in for later

Interested in hearing about your experience. We bought a Nissan Aramada with flex fuel. It was cheaper to fill but it required a little more fill ups so didn’t really save much. Glad dealer broke and bought it back. How we ended up with LC.

What are the long term effects on a 'factory' fuel system? I have always heard it is extremely corrosive as a solvent and melts rubber and if the system was not designed for it then you are preparing for expensive repair bills. Also I have heard you lose mileage, lots of it.
I don't think we even have E85 here, max 10%, then again growing fields of corn isn't our Governments idea of productive...
Yes, these are common myths. Fact is if hoses can handle E10 they can handle E85. Never heard of a car being junked because the fuel lines all fell out of it :) It can dislodge junk that has built up over years which can clog things up which is why I replaced the fuel filter at the same time. It also got a bad rap with boats because it would bond with water and if there was enough water it would separate from the gasoline and then the engine would suck too much water and cause problems. Not really a problem on land. Long term effects should be a cleaner system with less corrosion and cleaner engine internals.

I can already tell you what is going to happen.
You can run any gasoline engine on E-85 with no conversion kit, you WILL loose MPG, your fuel pump WILL die sooner than later...

I have an app on my phone to keep track of MPG, if you are really committed to this and reporting back to us please keep track of your MPG using an app.
So run 3 tanks of E-10, what's your MPG average.
Then run 3 tanks of E-85, whats your MPG average?
5 tanks of each would give you a better MPG average, but I do understand the time it would take to get those numbers might be prohibitive to you and your situation.
Your '89 Camry may have had a failed fuel pump at 180k even without the E85. I added Heet to my '94 Suburban to pass emissions once and the fuel pump died a short time later. However the replacement for that pump also died a fuel months after that when running a "normal" E10 so I chalk it up to Chevy life and not the fuel. I have seen lots of friends convert their cars to E85, some go through and replace every single part in the fuel system except the hardlines, and others just run it. Currently I have a '96 Miata with a GM Flex Fuel sensor and ECU and everything I just haven't pumped E85 into it yet (turbo is blown awaiting new one) and the fuel system is stock except the injectors and pump. I am confident there will be no damage or problems.

The reason I got this kit is to try and increase efficiency as much as possible. Yes, you can just pump it in and go, but that's where people's complaints of stuttering on acceleration or hard starting become common. Also you are probably not running at peak efficiency, and definitely not when at higher loads so that means you gotta drop a gear and raise your RPMs which decreases mileage etc. E85 should also create more power than the best 91 octane I can buy in my location which means towing will be easier (which is a primary reason I bought a 2007 VVTI because I need HP), but only if it's running efficiently. Doing the math calculations with 85 octane and the savings are narrow but comparing against 91 or even 87 and then the savings become much larger.

Yes, I use Fuelly and don't worry I will have data. The car I replaced with the Lexus I tracked for 59k miles in Fuelly. As a side effect of the kit, the on-board MPG calculator may not be accurate any more either as they usually use the fuel injector pulsewidths to calculate MPG. I haven't driven enough to know yet. I'm also considering getting an auxiliary fuel tank like others have on their 100s to address the MPG loss on long road trips.

Yes, these are common myths. Fact is if hoses can handle E10 they can handle E85. Never heard of a car being junked because the fuel lines all fell out of it :) It can dislodge junk that has built up over years which can clog things up which is why I replaced the fuel filter at the same time. It also got a bad rap with boats because it would bond with water and if there was enough water it would separate from the gasoline and then the engine would suck too much water and cause problems. Not really a problem on land. Long term effects should be a cleaner system with less corrosion and cleaner engine internals.

Your '89 Camry may have had a failed fuel pump at 180k even without the E85. I added Heet to my '94 Suburban to pass emissions once and the fuel pump died a short time later. However the replacement for that pump also died a fuel months after that when running a "normal" E10 so I chalk it up to Chevy life and not the fuel. I have seen lots of friends convert their cars to E85, some go through and replace every single part in the fuel system except the hardlines, and others just run it. Currently I have a '96 Miata with a GM Flex Fuel sensor and ECU and everything I just haven't pumped E85 into it yet (turbo is blown awaiting new one) and the fuel system is stock except the injectors and pump. I am confident there will be no damage or problems.

The reason I got this kit is to try and increase efficiency as much as possible. Yes, you can just pump it in and go, but that's where people's complaints of stuttering on acceleration or hard starting become common. Also you are probably not running at peak efficiency, and definitely not when at higher loads so that means you gotta drop a gear and raise your RPMs which decreases mileage etc. E85 should also create more power than the best 91 octane I can buy in my location which means towing will be easier (which is a primary reason I bought a 2007 VVTI because I need HP), but only if it's running efficiently. Doing the math calculations with 85 octane and the savings are narrow but comparing against 91 or even 87 and then the savings become much larger.

Yes, I use Fuelly and don't worry I will have data. The car I replaced with the Lexus I tracked for 59k miles in Fuelly. As a side effect of the kit, the on-board MPG calculator may not be accurate any more either as they usually use the fuel injector pulsewidths to calculate MPG. I haven't driven enough to know yet. I'm also considering getting an auxiliary fuel tank like others have on their 100s to address the MPG loss on long road trips.

Octane does not equal power. Octane is how quickly the fuel burns, lower octane burns faster, higher octane burns slower.

Ethanol has less power than gasoline. You will NOT get any more power from your truck. You WILL get lower MPG. Those are facts. Even cars that are Flex Fuel from the factory suffer from this. The lower price of E-85 compared to regular grade gasoline offsets the MPG drop and makes it a wash. You will save zero dollars.

Your truck does not say to use 85 octane, it says to use 87 octane or higher, so comparing 85 octane numbers to 110 octane numbers is comparing apples to pears.

Again, higher octane does not mean more horse power or better MPG.

As for the fuel pump being rated for E-10 and being E-85 compatible...my towels say to wash with bleach using the bleach dispenser on my washing machine, not to use straight bleach, it ruins them.

As for the fuel pump in my '89 Camry...sure it could have been the 195,000 miles on the fuel pump, or it could have been the tanks of E-85 I ran in it. Same thing with the Volvo, could've been the age of the fuel pump, could've been the E-85 it wasn't rated for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol Spike, I was enoying talking to you but I am not selling anything so you can take your crappy attitude somewhere else. Cars are my hobby not my job.

Lol!!!
I used to moderate a different forum, I did that for 10yrs bro. I've seen it all. If me calling you out means I have a crappy attitude then so be it.

I am truly interested in seeing how this turns out, I want to see the real numbers. But I know for a fact that E-85 lowers MPG by 30%. I also know for a fact that octane does not equal horsepower. I also know for a fact that everything you have said so far is directly from a sales book.

All of your pictures are top notch, until you get to the ones of the computer/phone screen, those are blurry, zoom in and you can read them but can't really tell what they mean, why are those ones blurry but the rest top notch? You couldn't take the time to take those ones again? What ar you hiding?

Your picture of the kit includes everything that comes in the kit, including the stickers for the back of your car to let everyone know what you did to your car so they can Google it.
You even have a nice clear upclose picture of the microprocessor bolted to the inner fender, again, so people can Google it.

You can tell that you did this to a 100 series, not calling you out there.
I am not saying you are not a car guy, and car guys can earn extra money however they want, even if it means selling stuff to others. No harm in that.

If I am wrong and you are not out to sell others this kit then prove me wrong. Show us the data once you have it. If someone is interested in buying it great, if not great.

But everything you have said so far is straight from a sales book, and I used to be in sales.

If you copied and pasted from the web site because it was easier than typing it all out then say so, I've done that.

eFlexFuel E85 Ethanol Conversion Kits | upgrade your vehicle to FlexFuel

EcoFuelBox E85 Ethanol Conversion Kit, Ethanol Kit, Flex Fuel Kit, Kit E85, Bioethanol Kit, E85 Kit, Etanol, Bioethanol

The guy makes statements with no documented data And he disqualified himself after saying that there is no difference between 87 and 93.
In his case, some comments are more insightful than the original post. here is one of those:
===========================================================
cotton club
Us old guys (40years of working on performance cars)are talking about ethanol. When gasohol came out in 70s it destroyed hoses, gaskets,floats and even carburetors. It absorbs water and becomes corrosive leaving zinc oxide on any metal. Never leave it in a carbureted car. Ethanol and methanol are both hydroscopic. Our race cars run methanol so the end of race season we run straight gas through the fuel system to stop corrosion. Now that said,ethanol is a oxygenator that ads oxygen molecules to air fuel mix. Since it ads oxygen to the a/f mix u have to add fuel so more fuel makes more power. Running 90%ethanol takes about 40% more fuel than gas. Methanol takes twice as much fuel than gas. Alcohol fuel also is effected by heat more than gas. I can tell u as a gm tech,vapor locking was a nightmare when gasohol came out. Now modern engine have made alot of changes for alcohol fuels. The first change was hoses and carb floats and gaskets alcohol resistant. Then efi, the high fuel pressure efi runs got rid of vapor lock, it also got rid of vented float bowls where the alcohol would sit and absorb water. Fuel systems now are closed pressurized systems that will through a trouble code if u for get the gas cap at the pump. Efi and o2sensors and other sensors adjust the a/f ratios. Now the e85 at your local gas station is n0t consistent . But that's another story. So if you keep alcohol fuel moving and keep it out of the air and use more it's good.
===================================

I am all for experimentation, tinkering and technological progress, but give me a big, statistically valid data pool, please.
I ran a few disparate fleets in past, and have seen it all.. Remember Hydrogen?

I agree this video was not backed up with any data just found it interesting he was running e85 on the sequoia. Wish he would have shared some info like mpg, gains if any and cost comparison.

I agree this video was not backed up with any data just found it interesting he was running e85 on the sequoia. Wish he would have shared some info like mpg, gains if any and cost comparison.
No worries, discussions like these are educational for all parties involved. And I am not dismissing the e85 kit above, as I have no experience with it on a statistically valid sample number. I just saw a great time-series sheet from a friend who manages a fleet on NG (Nat Gas). It doesn't pay economically, at the same time they are not losing money and help the environment.
Do we have any members from Brasil? Ethanol in Brazil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom