Dumb question of the day... how do you get the gear oil into the differentials? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I mean the question as literally as can be. What method, tools, or wizardry do you use to get the oil out of these containers and into the transfer case or differentials? I'm familiar with using squeeze bottles full of gear oil, but not cans like these. A funnel isn't likely to work (or fit), given the angle.

I'm assuming everyone uses a pump or some alternate vessel to transfer the oil.

2fec18c9b3b424c818f262ca08cfbe8e.jpg

890ee84e6a8886e1c98c46d7db98a271.jpg

Mityvac manual fluid transfer pump

7E0A12C8-2885-41D6-98C0-0D50D4088F24.jpeg

Fluid transfer pump. They replace the bottle cap. around 10$. Just need an empty oil donor quart

Fluid transfer pump. They replace the bottle cap. around 10$. Just need an empty oil donor quart
Personally I have found those problematic over the years. Don’t seal tight, waste a lot of fluid in the pump mechanism, and the fluid tends to attack the seals and plastic making them brittle and even more leaky over time.

I’ve bought a couple different ones from Amazon, but I actually liked the harbor freight one the best. For the Diff’s I use Amsoil gear oil. The TC I use the Toyota liquid gold oil though

I use this one on the 80 and it works pretty well. Not sure if there's anything about the 200 that would hinder it's use.

@fjc-man's rig is similar to mine. With a truck, LX, LC, 2 tractors, etc. it saves a ton of time, not to mention mess.

Check out Motive Products Compressed Air Fluid Filler. It's worth the price, made in the USA, and it's a major time saver, not to mention mess preventer.

If I'm changing trans case, I use Ravenol 75W oil...it meets Toyota's specs and it has a built in filler tube. Great design, zero mess.

Front diff drain plugs are particularly problematic for us. Be careful not to strip it, and consider having the upgraded Lexus IS part on hand.

Front diff drain plugs are particularly problematic for us. Be careful not to strip it, and consider having the upgraded Lexus IS part on hand.
Do you have the part number for that?

Do you have the part number for that?
Last time I checked this part is not available via toyota: 90341-24016
It technically fits a Lexus IS, but bolts in place of our front drain plug perfectly. Replaces the 10mm internal hex plug with a 14mm external.

Like I said be careful not to strip the head on yours. Make sure the hole is clean, and your hex bit good quality. If it feels like it is deforming stop and regroup. I've had good luck with hitting the plug on the edge solidly with a small sledge hammer. The stock copper gasket seems to stick over time, even when not overtigtened, and the solid hit deforms the very edge of the stock plug and crushes the gasket a tiny bit.

Be sure not to overtorque the new plug.. it is a pretty low number for such a large thread diameter. At least one person here had the head snap off the 14mm external part, likely because their mechanic put some muscle into tightening it.

If you search here by that part number you should see a fair bit of info on the topic.

The last couple I did were requiring a lot of torque, then a solid hit with a hammer on the edge as mentioned above got them cracked loose.

Seems like a nice tool though, especially if you found a way to solidly press inward on the tool while attempting to loosen.

Last time I checked this part is not available via toyota: 90341-24016
It technically fits a Lexus IS, but bolts in place of our front drain plug perfectly. Replaces the 10mm internal hex plug with a 14mm external.

Like I said be careful not to strip the head on yours. Make sure the hole is clean, and your hex bit good quality. If it feels like it is deforming stop and regroup. I've had good luck with hitting the plug on the edge solidly with a small sledge hammer. The stock copper gasket seems to stick over time, even when not overtigtened, and the solid hit deforms the very edge of the stock plug and crushes the gasket a tiny bit.

Be sure not to overtorque the new plug.. it is a pretty low number for such a large thread diameter. At least one person here had the head snap off the 14mm external part, likely because their mechanic put some muscle into tightening it.

If you search here by that part number you should see a fair bit of info on the topic.

Thanks for the advice @bloc. I just ordered one of the replacement plugs and will go easy on it removing the old one. I need to look up the torque specs for the front and rear (I can't recall it offhand), but I will check before reinstalling them and will torque to the spec.

I'd love to give it a try, but it's pretty spendy getting one shipped to the US. $46.19 with shipping and it takes 10 - 20 days to get here.

If I fail to get the plug out without risking damage, I'll fall back and punt by ordering one of these.

These makes it easy

10C9FC87-AD96-461B-8233-10396473A15C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom