Dual Battery setup for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning to install a second battery into my 40-series. Most likely those would be Yellow Top D34/78 batteries.
The question I have is what Dual Battery system is to choose for the setup?
I previously used Painless Sealed (I think it's Marine) system, but there are others on the market as well: IronMan 275Amps system, NationalLuna, Wrangler NW PowerProducts, etc...
Which one is the best on amount what you get for what you pay scale?

Can't speak for the others, but I've been happy with the IBS System that Sierra Expeditions (and others) sell. Its been installed for six or so months and has been through some rugged trips and a failed main battery. In that instance it linked over and successfully started my 4Runner off the second battery. So, in my experience it works as promised.

Do a search before you lay down hard-earned money for crappy Optima batteries.

X2. Much better options out there besides un-Optimas.

Fast Eddy said:

What would you suggest for Deep-Cycle?
I've Yellow Top for 5 years on my 4Runner and Red Top for 4 years on my wife's 4Runner, no issues on both.

I'm non - optima too. Also you can keep it simple and not bother with isolators. You can run off of both batteries for lights , winching, stereo, disco ball, etc. I have been doing that thanks to what somebody here on MUD suggested and I have had very good luck. I had marginal luck with isolators prior to doing this....

What would you suggest for Deep-Cycle?
I've Yellow Top for 5 years on my 4Runner and Red Top for 4 years on my wife's 4Runner, no issues on both.

If you read, you will find you have been lucky or you got the batteries before Optima went bad.

Check out Sears Optima Platinum Marine (Odyssey) batteries.

I've had great luck with Kirkland brand as well, but I'm pretty sure they're not in the same category as the Odysseys.

I don't have it installed, but I'm going to try an isolator. I want to be able to leave my lights and stereo on without any chance of it not starting the morning after I pass out drunk. :hillbilly:

I am on the F**** optima batteries board of members too. I have been using Odyssey for about 3yrs now. Runs like the old optimas, they have more sizes. And the the start up amperage on our 608ci blown motors were never this good. Even after a good poker run, they still act like they fresh. My dad and I run the Sears diehard version in daily drivers, theyre 34/78 style.

Another vote for not buying Craptima batteries. I will never buy another optima battery again.

I buy Odyssey batteries for my vehicles.

If you read, you will find you have been lucky or you got the batteries before Optima went bad.

Check out Sears Optima Platinum Marine (Odyssey) batteries.

I've had great luck with Kirkland brand as well, but I'm pretty sure they're not in the same category as the Odysseys.

I don't have it installed, but I'm going to try an isolator. I want to be able to leave my lights and stereo on without any chance of it not starting the morning after I pass out drunk. :hillbilly:

Kirkland are regular, not a Deep-Cycle battery.

I settled on 2 Odyssey batteries for my FJ40. After numerous yellow tops that wouldn't hold a charge or last more than 14-16 months I ditched them.

ODYSSEY Batteries - 34M-PC1500ST-M

Had mine for a year now with no problems whatsoever.

Those are not available in my area.
Checked with Sears Die-Hards. They are not Deep-Cycle. Rep told me to look for Odyssey, which have Deep-Cycle models, but again, its not available in Canada.:frown:

Then what the hell are all of those guys with walleye and bass boats doing for trolling motor batteries?

DenCo40 said:
I'm non - optima too. Also you can keep it simple and not bother with isolators. You can run off of both batteries for lights , winching, stereo, disco ball, etc. I have been doing that thanks to what somebody here on MUD suggested and I have had very good luck. I had marginal luck with isolators prior to doing this....

Do you have a write up on this?

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Those are not available in my area.
Checked with Sears Die-Hards. They are not Deep-Cycle. Rep told me to look for Odyssey, which have Deep-Cycle models, but again, its not available in Canada.:frown:

If you go to their website they ship both in the US and out of country.
ODYSSEY Batteries - Marine

Just click on the online store. That's the first question they ask you.

I'd check out what your local Western Star Truck dealer has. Last time I was in, you could get a 31p series battery... 1050CCA, 210 minute reserve capacity, $100. I ran a similar Interstate battery from there for many years.

Even left the headlights on a few times... Once for 4 hours, started up like nothing. Winch had twice the power of my previous battery.

So Aside from hating Optima's as I do,,,,,,,back to the original question, what is a good dual battery set up with components? I want to add another battery as well, and would like to know the best module to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom