Driveshaft flange question - going from '66 to '76 flange (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you still have the original axle that could work if its good cond. Your original question was about changing the end on the drive shaft. You could if you found that end from a 76" shaft and the u-joints are the same, I dont recall, they may be. I would contact Cruiser Outfitters for that part & to ask if the u-joint is same.

Can't you just swap the 66 to the 76?
I think late 78 or 79 went fine spline.
That is actually a great idea, and yes, that is a real possibility. a new consideration I have is that I might want to take this time to regear, which would then put me back into the 27 spline pinion.

The more I work on this FJ, the more I learn that you cannot tackle one project without opening the door to other connected projects. So you cannot spend time and money without finding more things to spend time and money on.... :cry:

Go back to the picture in your first post. You will see that you need a course (10 spline) pinion flange.

41204-35021-big[1].jpg

60mm x 68.5mm bolt pattern.

Correction you drive shaft has 56mm x 60mm bolt pattern. Your pinion is a course 10 spline in the 76 rear end.

Actually, you can pull the pinion flange off your 66 rear axle and install it on your 76 rear axle providing your seal area is good. If not speedi-sleeve it with a new seal or if really bad replace with new pinion flange.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Last edited:
Even simpler. Just leave the pinion flange alone. Use the short end of a late model driveshaft with the correct pattern on the Ujoint yoke. Mate that to your existing early model driveshaft. Toss it in. Drive away.

Mark...

@Oregon FJ40 I literally just did this two weeks ago. Same setup.

My front axle is off a 74 and the driveline shaft is original ('67). The driveline shaft you have now likely has 8mm holes, while the flange has either 10 or 11mm holes. They are incompatible.

Your challenge will be finding a flange that mates up with your early 8mm driveshaft.

I recommend changing the flange with one that works with your driveshaft.

If you need an 8mm course flange, I recommend asking @pardion. They are sort of rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom