drive shaft lengths (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So unfortunately my F motor gave up the ghost today and I am weighing the options of just putting in a 2F or going the full montey and going to the 2FE with an h42 5 speed and transfer case. would i need to change the drive shaft lengths in order to do this. also what other fabrication would I have to do to get the 2FE H42 setup in my 69.

if you are interested in a 2FE as a "non carbureted" replacement, your money would be best spent on an injection system for a 2F platform.

what exactly happened to your F engine? do you have any interest in keeping a carbureted vehicle? if yes, simplest fix would be to source a donor F (or better yet a F.5) and have it rebuilt. despite some reads on this forum discussing parts availability, or lack thereof with the earlier F and F.5 engines, they are essentially unbalanced tractor engines that any reputable engine shop could easily navigate.

as far as an H42 5 speed, I've never heard of one. working on the presumption that you have a J30 currently, an H55 conversion would require bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pilot bearing, slave, cross member, driveshafts(simplest of this list), split case, speedo cable, either and H55 e brake(would make for a tight fit and short rear driveshaft) or a single circuit rear axle(post '79 4X series or early 7Xseries), transmission hump modification, perhaps new pinion flanges not to mention any and all hardware.

none of this work is necessarily difficult, but it wouldn't be the fastest way to get you truck rolling again. although my only warning would be that with an H55/split case combo, your truck would be an entirely BETTER operating truck.

as a refresh, I would stay clear of a 2FE or 3FE avenue, just not worth it

HTH's Sean

If you do decide on the H55F I can get you the lengths for the driveshafts in an FJ40. This for a not lifted vehicle which could change the lengths. The H42 has very nice street gears. H41 and H55F have lower gearing.

Hand brake on the rear axle started 8/80 in the FJ40. The FJ45 and HJ47 did not have the hand brake on the axle. This why it's fairly easy to add a hand brake to the back of the split transfer case. Not sure how much the hand brake on the transfer case would shorten the rear driveshaft. Not a huge difference. Clearance to the tub and crossmember behind the transfer case are a bigger problem to deal with. My 68 has a H42 installed. I didn't have to modify the tub or frame. But it's a lot more work getting it in and out. The hand brake is very close to the torque tube behind the transfer case. The torque tube was redesigned 9/72 to work with a four speed. Same with the area in the tub where the transmission cover is.

in the event you might be considering an H55/Split Case with parking brake drum, it is nothing short of a "BandAide" pre rear axle assemblies with incorporated parking brakes.

I agree with 67azcruiser. Get a new rear axle with bendix single cylinder brake and a common system produced in the millions including todays cars. Adding a parking brake to split case (I have done a 1/2 dozen) is a worthless option. It would have been nice if the FJ company still had 1FZ to H55 bellhousings and get a better fuel injected motor.

Besides all the work today I see an engine, five speed transmission with transfer case and 8/80 rear axle with hand brake being north of $10K. Have you budgeted that much?

Any 70 series rear axle is the correct width and moving spring mounts is a 1/2 banana job. 6 lugs 7x axles were made 1985-1999 for millions of trucks. Hub swaps for most others. Why look for a unicorn 1981-1984 4x axle just to have the correct mounts??

Any 70 series rear axle is the correct width and moving spring mounts is a 1/2 banana job. 6 lugs 7x axles were made 1985-1999 for millions of trucks. Hub swaps for most others. Why look for a unicorn 1981-1984 4x axle just to have the correct mounts??

How available and cost for a 70 series here in Arizona? Been able to source three 8/80+ 40 series right in in Arizona. Two of them FF. Never come across a 70 series local.

First, buy nothing used from Cruiserparts. Nothing ever.
All but long side axle is same as 60 series. Toyota repro is making the short side long spline axle if you want new. You can by joint fuji hubs if you want new. Backing plates are std. That took me about 4 minutes to source. Asking Joeri (Joekatana) etc on wanted boards might yield a used good axle complete. This is just an example.

First, buy nothing used from Cruiserparts. Toyota repro is making the short side long spline axle if you want new.

Never purchased any used from only new. I had considered buying a transfer case shift lever used from them and figured it would be okay. Also seen a take off exhaust exhaust piece I had considered. Would be interested why never anything used?

Not sure who Toyota repro is? Definitely interested in a 60/70 series short side long spline axle.

So here is the story of what happened. The oil pump sucked up a bit of gasket material from the pushrod cover and starved the engine of oil locking up the block. I have since purchased a 2F motor and am currently inspecting it to see if it is going to work for me. Just checking the bearings pushrods rockers etc. I had an opportunity to buy a 4 speed at that same time. But I started to think that I do actually like my little 3 speed and I think that I am going to forgo a transmission upgrade at this time. But thank you the information

De-Smog, exhaust, presuming your sticking with the 2 barrel- , carb linkage, new air filter, flywheel, etc..

F to 2F conversion = not a big deal

F to F.5 or another F = no brainer

If you care to reach out for any additional info just DM me, I’m always happy to chat, especially per past time regrets.

Sean

I got my 40 with the 1F carb on the 2F - best decision whatever PO ever made when they put the 2F in was to keep the 1F carb

no spaghetti, desmogged

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom