dome light question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
going thru boxes of parts and believe this to be a original pig dome light. single wire connector vs all threads ive found show two wire connector. thinking it came from a 69 or 70. not looking to get into another heated debate like the last dome light thread. just a simple yes or no will be perfectly acceptable.

IMG_20231219_160241.jpg

IMG_20231219_160229.jpg

I am not sure what the Dome light debate was(is). My '76 and the parts rig both have a single wire to it, but the factory drawings and three position switch, on the light it self, confused me a little. I was thinking about integrating a door switch in the mix. I'm going to search the debate:popcorn:. If your selling that switch with a good handle I could use one!

going thru boxes of parts and believe this to be a original pig dome light. single wire connector vs all threads ive found show two wire connector. thinking it came from a 69 or 70. not looking to get into another heated debate like the last dome light thread. just a simple yes or no will be perfectly acceptable.

View attachment 3511911

View attachment 3511913
This is a great picture!
It looks like one could take a broken dome light, drill out that rivet and repair with a thin strip of bent sheet metal?

@PabloCruise its more than just the bent piece of sheet metal. the "lever" has the rivet drilled through then has this piece of plastic molded around it with a spring and ball bearing inside that connects the two copper, power and ground to turn light on. it for all reasoning is a blinker switch. same setup atleast.

with the at home 3d printers that everyone seem to use i dont see it being a difficult piece to recreate. above my head as far as the computer workings of creating the image for said printer to build. i have the concept of it and it seems simple just not the computer skills to pull it off.
IMG_20231222_175528.jpg

Last edited:
Last year I was playing around with 3D printing a switch for the dome light. I got a fairly accurate reproduction. @Tomba sent me his broken light and I used his switch as a model. Mine that I had was missing the switch. Because it is one piece print and a bit thicker that the original, it would require a person to notch the lens for clearance and attaching the switch could be done a coupe of ways. The lock nut was just for test fitting. For strength so it would not snap the plastic- I made it so I would epoxy a thin aluminum reinforcement piece. I just hobby print - so the material is just PLA. Not ABS or carbon fiber.

IMG_3858.jpeg

70301084013__8D969BFC-2A04-4BBC-AD10-CD8AD1A55EE1.jpeg

70301035343__549E40B4-F512-4A35-AD31-4DF4A183EA8B.jpeg

IMG_3813.jpeg

IMG_3801.jpeg

Last edited:
after seeing yours you made im thinking maybe im looking at it wrong, or backwards with the 3d printing on idea. i was thinking of just printing the end plastic section. maybe it would be an easy setup to take the simple pre bent lever and set in a mold and pour the plastic around it you could then easily carve away the plastic to shape and drill the rivet hole and end for the ball bearing to sit. that way you can have the lever all the way through and be solid. also you could easily get the notch in as to not need to cut the cover. now im thinking i may have to give it a shot just to see the process from what my vision is.
@elroberds what year is your donor handle off?

after seeing yours you made im thinking maybe im looking at it wrong, or backwards with the 3d printing on idea. i was thinking of just printing the end plastic section. maybe it would be an easy setup to take the simple pre bent lever and set in a mold and pour the plastic around it you could then easily carve away the plastic to shape and drill the rivet hole and end for the ball bearing to sit. that way you can have the lever all the way through and be solid. also you could easily get the notch in as to not need to cut the cover. now im thinking i may have to give it a shot just to see the process from what my vision is.
@elroberds what year is your donor handle off?
Just guessing from @Tomba signature line- a 72. But he can confirm.

View attachment 3511911

View attachment 3511913
This is a great picture!
It looks like one could take a broken dome light, drill out that rivet and repair with a thin strip of bent sheet metal?

yes, from my 72.

1968-12/74 ish had a single wire bullet connector room lamp like @sofj45 has ....

81240-20020 / 81240-20021 / 81240-30020 / 81240-30021

1/75 - 1980 had the 2 wire type , and the double rubber YAZAKI bullet plugs system updated like the below
81240-69015 ....

- yes @J Mack , i offer the FJ55 later
-69015 room lamp YAZAKI oem rubber bullet connector repair kits ....

1703777363679.png

1703777614724.png

1703777632141.png

1703777645468.png

1703777677770.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom