Does AHC height affect camber? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've observed slight changes to camber depending on my 2009 LX's ride height. No sensor adjustments - all stock. I didn't see this point pop up in the other alignment threads.

In Low Mode and 'highway low,' I've observed slight negative camber. IE, the top of the wheel tucks in toward the engine and the bottom of the wheel sticks out. When I've parked in High Mode, I've can see a little bit of positive camber.

Is this behavior typical of AHC? If not, what component failure(s) could be causing it?

I'm throwing in the towel and taking it in to the dealership tomorrow to address ongoing cabin vibrations. I'm wondering if the change in camber at different heights could be relevant info to share.

When you say negative and positive is that measured to the vertical (real camber) or to the fender? Basically, are you really observing negative and positive or are you observing a movement toward less negative or more positive camber depending on where your camber really is when in Low.

I do not expect the front measured camber to remain unchanged when moving between low and high. Theoretically it should not change but this it not perfect word and some small changes are normal. In engineering as long as the camber stays within the specifications, it is good.

Yes it changes. It’s the nature of double wishbone. Also why the LX eats the inside of front tires if not rotated religiously.

When you say negative and positive is that measured to the vertical (real camber) or to the fender? Basically, are you really observing negative and positive or are you observing a movement toward less negative or more positive camber depending on where your camber really is when in Low.
In relation to the fender. The top of the wheel dips inward on Low, and outward on High

I've observed slight changes to camber depending on my 2009 LX's ride height. No sensor adjustments - all stock. I didn't see this point pop up in the other alignment threads.

In Low Mode and 'highway low,' I've observed slight negative camber. IE, the top of the wheel tucks in toward the engine and the bottom of the wheel sticks out. When I've parked in High Mode, I've can see a little bit of positive camber.

Is this behavior typical of AHC? If not, what component failure(s) could be causing it?

I'm throwing in the towel and taking it in to the dealership tomorrow to address ongoing cabin vibrations. I'm wondering if the change in camber at different heights could be relevant info to share.

Yes, the behavior you describe is a typical camber curve for double wishbone type suspensions. It's normal, expected, and desirable for handling dynamics. Not necessarily for AHC high as that's more of a clearance mode which introduces sloppy handling and bad geometry among other things. It's not likely the cause of your vibrations.

I have my normal static height alignment dialed in with a bit more negative camber, -0.7°, for a few reasons. With a tall 35" tires, helps mitigate sidewall rollover and a bit more cornering traction. Helps clearance against the upper fenders. And helps with incrementally better handling in low range AHC high in higher speeds.

Even so, you can see AHC high does introduce a bit of positive camber.

1689646856102.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom