Builds Doc's 1978 FJ40 Rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doc, Love the Thread! I always refer back on different things you have done. I used your method of replacing the pilot bearing with the grease..worked great!
Waiting on your hard top install. :)

Wow. . . where does the time go?

Mike,
I apologize for the delay. . . you've likely found your answers by now but as far as the Defender goes I do like it. It can be sprayed over most any epoxy primer base; I believe on the Aluminum Tub it was sprayed over the acid-etch primer foundation. It has held up well and went on rather easily.

Not much exciting to report over the last month. Did not really have an Autumn this year -- went from 80s to 40s temp wise in about a week. Several trips back and forth to work was about all the 40 could do before being tucked away for another winter nap.

View attachment 1830410

As per usual there is plenty of other stuff in the shop to keep me busy. Hoping for a late weather warm up to get out for one more ride. . . although they are already spraying the salt brine on the roads so that might just keep us hibernating.
Thanks Doc.

Popping in to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and New Year.

The 40 is still in hibernation -- nothing but rain and cold last couple months so it has and will continue to patiently wait in the corner of the shop.

No doubt thanks to some of you our T-shirt design was a winner with Hagerty -- you can find the details here:

Men's Freedom t-shirt

Always wanting to throw in a couple pictures with each post so here is an average day of collecting firewood for us:

5J5A8390.JPG

I'm not much of a hunter but thought some of you might appreciate these two. Picture was taken from my porch.

5J5A8642.JPG

One more of an Ohio Sunrise. Looking forward to what is to come in 2019!

5J5A3233.JPG

Popping in to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and New Year.

The 40 is still in hibernation -- nothing but rain and cold last couple months so it has and will continue to patiently wait in the corner of the shop.

No doubt thanks to some of you our T-shirt design was a winner with Hagerty -- you can find the details here:

Men's Freedom t-shirt

Always wanting to throw in a couple pictures with each post so here is an average day of collecting firewood for us:

View attachment 1861895

I'm not much of a hunter but thought some of you might appreciate these two. Picture was taken from my porch.

View attachment 1861905
One more of an Ohio Sunrise. Looking forward to what is to come in 2019!

View attachment 1861913

Merry Christmas, Dave. Congrats on the win, I’ll pick one up. Nothing like a nice load of Ash in the stove to make things cozy.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years Dave! The pic of cutting wood takes me back. My Dad, my Uncle my cousin and I would spend hours in the woods with our 1947 Ford 8N pulling out a trailer full of firewood every year!

Hi Dave, haven’t seen you here for the last year. Hope everything is well.
Happy new year and hope you are still having fun with the 40.

Hmmm.

Dare I say this thread is indeed a little dusty. :)

I confess, I have been focused on a few other projects but my friends and the community here has not been forgotten. I appreciate you guys thinking of me and it was nice to hear from those I've talked to on the phone/received texts from! The 40 has been in use since my last post, but I did not think the forum needed a pic every time I drove to work with it!

We did make it out to a couple shows last year, here is proof:

5J5A9998.JPG

What exactly has kept me away?
Mostly time at work and home has been a bit more demanding. Combine that with a little bit of travelling. . . attaching a pic from Camp Muir atop Mount Rainier (10,000 plus feet in elevation) and a couple from Yellowstone 2019. I know how much you guys like vacation pictures. o_O

5J5A0244B.JPG

5J5A1081D.JPG

5J5A1135B.JPG

5J5A1772A.JPG

I've also dug into another hobby a bit more -- fixing and restoring pinball machines. I think I enjoy the challenge of learning the electronics / working on the games more than I actually like playing them. This hobby keeps Mrs. TractorDoc happy because it keeps me closer to home. :angelic: If anyone is curious here is a link to a thread on a pinball specific forum (they have forums for everything these days!):

Because I've reached my picture limit I have another post on the way to show my current project. It is not another 40, but it is a buddy to mine!

Our current project is Dad's 1953 Ford Pickup. Its having a couple issues, but the 40 has been keeping an eye on it.

5J5A3524.JPG

Last year when dad was moving driving it around the farm I noticed liquid (antifreeze) flowing from the exhaust. After I waved him down we pulled the truck back into the shop to investigate. We were/are hoping for nothing more than bad head gaskets combined with some corroded aluminum heads on the old Flathead engine.

5J5A3086.JPG

5J5A3085.JPG

Because it is me taking on this project I'm diving in the only way I know how. I've pulled the engine and will be digging in to investigate any other issues. I'll admit I've been slow moving, but finally pulled the engine out a week or so ago and mounted it up to the stand.

5J5A3545.JPG

The plan now is to pull the pan/inspect the bearings. To be honest I'm having a difficult time not pulling everything apart and starting from the ground up. . . remember how this thread started? :p

I know I need to do some catching up on everyone else's builds/work. I am looking forward to learning what I've missed. Looks like I need to toss the forum a donation as well. Once more I appreciate you guys thinking of me. The MUD Forum and Family is a great place to be and feels like home even after being away for awhile!

Glad you dropped in! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom