Builds Doc's 1978 FJ40 Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dave,
I want to congratulate you on getting your rig out there in front of the public and getting that award. That is something to be proud of for sure. I checked out some of your tractor resto's and WOW you do mighty fine work. I wish I could come visit one day. I love the video's of the country where you live. I see your getting more comfortable with a little dirt and scratch here and there :eek: You keep driving and I will keep watching :)
Dave

You sir do incredible work!

Thanks for the kind words!

Ah-h-h, surveying the south forty in August - life is good.:steer:

Definitely a good day! :)

Time for a gimbal! DJI makes a cool one Ive used before call the Osmo

Hmmm, I did not see an option to use one with a flip phone. . . :woot:
A nice improvement in the quality of video for sure!
I may own a smart phone someday but I'm in no hurry for it. Doubt I will ever be a social media sensation either but will definitely keep the reference if the sponsors come calling.

I want to congratulate you on getting your rig out there in front of the public and getting that award. That is something to be proud of for sure. I checked out some of your tractor resto's and WOW you do mighty fine work. I wish I could come visit one day. I love the video's of the country where you live. I see your getting more comfortable with a little dirt and scratch here and there :eek: You keep driving and I will keep watching :)
Dave

I really appreciate the comments Dave.
You (and any other MUD member) are welcome to stop out -- just don't have high expectations as things are usually quiet and boring around here. I'd love to visit your masterpiece someday as well; you are making great progress on your build -- perhaps I should follow your example and find my own California gold (vs. Ohio rust) so I can venture out into the elements even more. I will try to keep you entertained! ;)

Speaking of entertainment, today's offering comes in the form of some artwork (sort of). I have insurance on the 40 thru Hagerty and they have a design a T-shirt contest going right now. The theme was supposed to be something about capturing the thrill/freedom of driving. I have no skills when it comes to computer design, but I could draw a decent picture or two back in my day. This is what I came up with:

5J5A0782A.JPG

Anyone notice the 40's influence? Its subtle but there. Perhaps bringing back this picture will help.

5J5A0444.JPG

I took the liberty of tucking my thumb under the steering wheel. Its difficult to draw a cosmetically pleasing thumbnail.
A computer competent friend was able to scan/clean up the picture and transform it to a digital file -- this is what it looks like on a shirt of my liking. (Not the best resolution, sorry for the graininess).

FreedomShirt.jpg

I have no expectations that this design will be an overall winner but I've grown to like it enough to consider getting a couple shirts made. So far due to the number of colors and style of shirt my minimum order needs to be 50 pieces at $20 each! :eek:
Do the math and that is a bit more than I care to spend for a new addition to the wardrobe. I'll keep working at it -- I can get fewer numbers made with a plain shirt but I like the retro look of the two tone collar/sleeves.

No new 40 updates, but I'm not one to leave valuable picture space empty so here are a couple wild and crazy cloud formations that rolled by home earlier this summer. I don't think I've posted these yet. . . memory is not as sharp as I get older!

5J5A0363.JPG

IMG_8089A.JPG

Anyone notice the 40's influence? Its subtle but there. Perhaps bringing back this picture will help.

What? You think our beloved FJ40's are the only rigs with defrost? ;)

Just kidding....It's in the details.

Per your last pic - So that's what the aurora borealis looks like in Ohio?

Looking good, Doc!

My daughter lives in the suburbs of Cincinnati. Lots of beautiful country once you get away from the City.

The pictures of the sky is beautiful.

You forgot to mention Hagerty in your rendering

I think you need to get another rig for the trails though.

Per your last pic - So that's what the aurora borealis looks like in Ohio?

Rick -- I think that is an Asperitas cloud formation as described by the Cloud Appreciation Society. Would like to see the Northern Lights at night but they rarely make it down this far South. ;)

I think you need to get another rig for the trails though.

Oh, the thought has crossed my mind. . . :hmm: :)

Today's starter pic is of a little Milk Snake sunning itself on the rocks by the barn. Actual diameter is about a bootlace. I believe they get the name "Milk Snake" because they frequent barns; farmers used to think they'd steal milk from the cows. I'm thinking they prefer rats/mice that hang out there. Normally snakes have me jumping a foot in the air if I find one unexpectedly. If I know they are there its not so bad.

5J5A0959.JPG

Recently I had my first issue with the mechanics on the 40. While driving to work one day I heard the distinct sound of an exhaust leak. Opening the hood at the office revealed this:

5J5A0659.JPG

Seems several bits of my gasket had moved. I do not know if it was operator error in handling or installation of the gasket (pretty sure it was a Remflex) or if there were some underlying weaknesses in it before it had been installed. I had the exhaust/intake surfaces machined after mating them to ensure a flat mounting surface. The exhaust bolts supposedly do not need retorqued after installation per the manufacturer. Either way a new gasket was ordered and an afternoon back in the shop had the old one out/new one installed. I will be sure to recheck bolt torques this time regardless.

Close up of the damage:

5J5A0779.JPG

It was a quick enough turn around to be back at a local cruise in the next day, hood up. Some of the door prizes at this venue were fabulous pies made at the sponsoring restaurant. I was not lucky enough to go home with one though.

5J5A0784.JPG

Leaving with a pic of the Lighthouse at the Headlands Dunes State Nature Preserve in Northeast Ohio. Wife wanted to get away for a day so while she sat on the beach I walked the trails in the area. It was a bit too far to drive the 40 but I travel farther and farther the more comfortable I get in it.

5J5A0911.JPG

A mini 40 update this time.
Not long ago I stopped in the local Toyota Dealer with my 40 key to see if I could get a couple new ones cut. My original is quite worn -- almost all detail has been rubbed off. At first the parts window people were fascinated and stated they had never seen a Toyota key that looked like that before (never a good start :rolleyes: ) but then a fellow with gray whiskers walked up from the back to take a look. Mr. Whiskers said he remembered such keys but it had been a long time since any were at this location to cut/sell. Said he'd be happy to cut one for me if I could find an original.

Of course that brought me back to MUD and thanks to @RAGINGMATT I was able to acquire a couple new 90999-00030 keys to make my own.

5J5A1075.JPG

The blue tape is to hide the identity of my original :bag: . Doubt anyone is going to copy my key from the web in an attempt to drive off in my truck. . . but I like to be cautious. One day I will get back to the dealer to fascinate and educate the parts window people with the new keys.

On a semi (more like slightly) Land Cruiser related topic I was contacted by Hagerty and informed my shirt design was moved into the top five. In a move of shameless self promotion I will attach a link so folks can vote for their favorite and eventually the winner. No pressure, you can vote for any of the choices and I won't be mad if its not mine! ;)

The Shop Assembled by Hagerty

Finally, a couple pictures unrelated to the 40 at all. A lightning storm of sorts rolled by the other night (as we were in the middle of third cutting hay!). Luckily it did not rain but there was quite a light show in the sky -- I was able to catch some of my best ever lightning pictures.

5J5A1067A.JPG

5J5A1054A.JPG

Electrifying!

Till next time. . .

voted, can only place one vote, c'mon guys lets' give Dave some support

Dave, can you repost the link so it is easy for all?

Rick -- I think that is an Asperitas cloud formation as described by the Cloud Appreciation Society. Would like to see the Northern Lights at night but they rarely make it down this far South. ;)

Oh, the thought has crossed my mind. . . :hmm: :)

Today's starter pic is of a little Milk Snake sunning itself on the rocks by the barn. Actual diameter is about a bootlace. I believe they get the name "Milk Snake" because they frequent barns; farmers used to think they'd steal milk from the cows. I'm thinking they prefer rats/mice that hang out there. Normally snakes have me jumping a foot in the air if I find one unexpectedly. If I know they are there its not so bad.

View attachment 1776911

Recently I had my first issue with the mechanics on the 40. While driving to work one day I heard the distinct sound of an exhaust leak. Opening the hood at the office revealed this:

View attachment 1776916

Seems several bits of my gasket had moved. I do not know if it was operator error in handling or installation of the gasket (pretty sure it was a Remflex) or if there were some underlying weaknesses in it before it had been installed. I had the exhaust/intake surfaces machined after mating them to ensure a flat mounting surface. The exhaust bolts supposedly do not need retorqued after installation per the manufacturer. Either way a new gasket was ordered and an afternoon back in the shop had the old one out/new one installed. I will be sure to recheck bolt torques this time regardless.

Close up of the damage:

View attachment 1776917

It was a quick enough turn around to be back at a local cruise in the next day, hood up. Some of the door prizes at this venue were fabulous pies made at the sponsoring restaurant. I was not lucky enough to go home with one though.

View attachment 1776918

What are you using to take photos? The colors are brilliant. Oh . you got robbed on the pie deal.

Leaving with a pic of the Lighthouse at the Headlands Dunes State Nature Preserve in Northeast Ohio. Wife wanted to get away for a day so while she sat on the beach I walked the trails in the area. It was a bit too far to drive the 40 but I travel farther and farther the more comfortable I get in it.

View attachment 1776924

@tstepp920 -- it took me a minute to find your question buried in the quote! "What are you using to take photos? The colors are brilliant. Oh . you got robbed on the pie deal."

As if everyone could not tell I like taking pictures. I recently upgraded to a Canon 5D IV and a lot of the images over the past year have been from it. I switch between several different "L" series lenses depending on the focal length/aperture/etc. needed for my intended target.

IMG_8193.JPG

How did I get that picture of the camera without using it to take the picture. . . :hmm:
I used the shop camera (Canon Rebel T5i that takes a little more abuse) -- its predecessor. I know I look a bit touristy lugging around my big old man camera while everyone else just uses their phone but it really can be the difference between a good and very good photograph. There are a lot of excellent camera names out there (Nikon, Sony, Leica, etc.) but I started with a Canon AE-1 back in the days of film and stayed loyal.

whoa, sweet pics - congrats on the build.

Many Thanks!

Great pictures Doc!!

I love your farm... but, after watching your video a couple of times, I’m (almost) convinced you were driving loops around a 5 acre tract. ;)

Love your 40!!

C'mon Danny. . . we don't have those big wide-open spaces 'round these parts like you have out West. . . a couple turns are needed to get from point A to B! :)

Dave, can you repost the link so it is easy for all?

Thanks for the support @dlzadl .
The link again is The Shop Assembled by Hagerty but I stress again if you do go there to vote make sure its for the design you like best. Thanks again!!

@tstepp920 -- it took me a minute to find your question buried in the quote! "What are you using to take photos? The colors are brilliant. Oh . you got robbed on the pie deal."

As if everyone could not tell I like taking pictures. I recently upgraded to a Canon 5D IV and a lot of the images over the past year have been from it. I switch between several different "L" series lenses depending on the focal length/aperture/etc. needed for my intended target.

View attachment 1787653

How did I get that picture of the camera without using it to take the picture. . . :hmm:
I used the shop camera (Canon Rebel T5i that takes a little more abuse) -- its predecessor. I know I look a bit touristy lugging around my big old man camera while everyone else just uses their phone but it really can be the difference between a good and very good photograph. There are a lot of excellent camera names out there (Nikon, Sony, Leica, etc.) but I started with a Canon AE-1 back in the days of film and stayed loyal.

Many Thanks!

C'mon Danny. . . we don't have those big wide-open spaces 'round these parts like you have out West. . . a couple turns are needed to get from point A to B! :)

Thanks for the support @dlzadl .
The link again is The Shop Assembled by Hagerty but I stress again if you do go there to vote make sure its for the design you like best. Thanks again!!
Wouldn't do it any other way but it is looking out at the world through a 40 dash how can it not be best?

Man... I've been back at MUD and catching up on my favorite builds. So glad to see where you've gotten to in the build. Looks amazing man.

Love your Yellowstone pics... and your downtown car show pics. Good stuff.

Wouldn't do it any other way but it is looking out at the world through a 40 dash how can it not be best?

It is a good view to look at the world, isn't it? I received an update on the T-shirt situation from Hagerty -- I cannot confirm or deny anything at this time but may have a later update to report with more information. ;)

Just finished reading the whole thread from the beginning. Thanks for taking the time to share stories and post pics! Very inspirational.

Thanks for taking time for the read-thru, I hope you did not nod off too many times. Happy to Inspire!

Man... I've been back at MUD and catching up on my favorite builds. So glad to see where you've gotten to in the build. Looks amazing man.

Love your Yellowstone pics... and your downtown car show pics. Good stuff.

Thanks for the kind words @Honger -- good timing on the Yellowstone comments as I recently returned from this year's trip. While out West I was once again on 40 patrol. I saw several nice looking 40s in the Bozeman, Montana area but my view was from the highway with no real opportunity to stop. I did catch this nice original 1978 specimen in Jackson, Wyoming. I waited around for the driver and probably scared him as I rushed up to the driver side door before he could leave. He was not the actual owner (belonged to his business partner) but we still had a nice conversation about the truck -- don't think they are MUD members but I told them to check the site out.

5J5A2067.JPG

A few more images from Wyoming -- someday I can see myself in a residence out there incorporating the 40 in more adventures.

Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River:

5J5A1770A.JPG

Moose out for a morning swim/snack:

5J5A2385.JPG

Four Knuckleheads out on a hiking trail (I took Dad, Brother, and Brother in Law with me this time):

5J5A2245A.JPG

And finally one of my favorites -- Old Faithful erupting just before dawn:

5J5A1655A1.JPG

We made it back and are still talking to one another so the trip will count as a success. One more add in, a short You-Tube video of a close call with a Bull Elk:

My next priority will be bringing my 40 back out from hibernation -- there was a church picnic at the farm prior to leaving and a lot of our excess "stuff" was stored in the shop for that weekend. I guess we have to keep up a tidy appearance -- just don't look inside. Reminds me of how I used to clean my room as a kid -- just don't look at everything I threw into the closet!

Doc I saw that you used the defender bedliner. How do you like it? How do you paint over it? Do you have to spray on a special top coat first?
It is a good view to look at the world, isn't it? I received an update on the T-shirt situation from Hagerty -- I cannot confirm or deny anything at this time but may have a later update to report with more information. ;)

Thanks for taking time for the read-thru, I hope you did not nod off too many times. Happy to Inspire!

Thanks for the kind words @Honger -- good timing on the Yellowstone comments as I recently returned from this year's trip. While out West I was once again on 40 patrol. I saw several nice looking 40s in the Bozeman, Montana area but my view was from the highway with no real opportunity to stop. I did catch this nice original 1978 specimen in Jackson, Wyoming. I waited around for the driver and probably scared him as I rushed up to the driver side door before he could leave. He was not the actual owner (belonged to his business partner) but we still had a nice conversation about the truck -- don't think they are MUD members but I told them to check the site out.

View attachment 1801242

A few more images from Wyoming -- someday I can see myself in a residence out there incorporating the 40 in more adventures.

Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River:

View attachment 1801253
Moose out for a morning swim/snack:

View attachment 1801254
Four Knuckleheads out on a hiking trail (I took Dad, Brother, and Brother in Law with me this time):

View attachment 1801257

And finally one of my favorites -- Old Faithful erupting just before dawn:

View attachment 1801261

We made it back and are still talking to one another so the trip will count as a success. One more add in, a short You-Tube video of a close call with a Bull Elk:

My next priority will be bringing my 40 back out from hibernation -- there was a church picnic at the farm prior to leaving and a lot of our excess "stuff" was stored in the shop for that weekend. I guess we have to keep up a tidy appearance -- just don't look inside. Reminds me of how I used to clean my room as a kid -- just don't look at everything I threw into the closet!

Wow. . . where does the time go?

Doc I saw that you used the defender bedliner. How do you like it? How do you paint over it? Do you have to spray on a special top coat first?

Mike,
I apologize for the delay. . . you've likely found your answers by now but as far as the Defender goes I do like it. It can be sprayed over most any epoxy primer base; I believe on the Aluminum Tub it was sprayed over the acid-etch primer foundation. It has held up well and went on rather easily.

Not much exciting to report over the last month. Did not really have an Autumn this year -- went from 80s to 40s temp wise in about a week. Several trips back and forth to work was about all the 40 could do before being tucked away for another winter nap.

5J5A8219.JPG

As per usual there is plenty of other stuff in the shop to keep me busy. Hoping for a late weather warm up to get out for one more ride. . . although they are already spraying the salt brine on the roads so that might just keep us hibernating.

Hey Doc,

Will be coming through your way around thanksgiving weekend. I’ll connect with you separately on the timing to see if I can stop by to show the wife what some $$ and a frame off will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom