Dobinsons 3.5" Tapered Lift... or? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just double checked the springs, the “right” side spring is in fact on the passenger or, right side of the 80.
Problem solved.

@baldilocks Not trying to be a jerk here but I do not think that is correct. I believe the springs sold in the US market (at least in year 2020) are appropriately labeled for installation. If I recall I had the same thought when installing mine and the front spring marked "left" was taller than the one marked "right". I think the idea they need to be installed in reverse orientation is a holdover from the OME springs that, to my knowledge, are only labeled for RHD markets.

@David Otero and @crikeymike Can you clarify spring installation on the Dobinsons kits? Are the springs sold through the US distributor correctly labeled for an installation on LHD vehicles?

I have heard two conflicting points of info on spring positions.
  1. The springs are different heights to accommodate driver, gas tank, and driveline weight.
  2. The springs are different heights since the spring perches are at different heights on the axles. (if this is the case I am even more confused. I thought all 80 axles had the same differential offset regardless of LHD or RHD orientation.)
There were no indications with my springs that they were AU spec and should be installed on opposite sides for LHD vehicles. I installed my springs as they were labeled. Left on the drivers side and right on the passenger. My truck is sitting level with no lean.

@Squeegee I still think something else is going on. Even if the springs were installed on the wrong side I do not think that would result in numbers as drastic as the ones you posted. 1 1/2" lean is pretty drastic.

My favorite part about MUD is turning a simple question into a 5 page thread..... Here we go. :meh: :bang:

Last edited:
@baldilocks Not trying to be a jerk here but I do not think that is correct. I believe the springs sold in the US market (at least in year 2020) are appropriately labeled for installation. If I recall I had the same thought when installing mine and the front spring marked "left" was taller than the one marked "right". I think the idea they need to be installed in reverse orientation is a holdover from the OME springs that, to my knowledge, are only labeled for RHD markets.

@David Otero and @crikeymike Can you clarify spring installation on the Dobinsons kits? Are the springs sold through the US distributor correctly labeled for an installation on LHD vehicles?

I have heard two conflicting points of info on spring positions.
  1. The springs are different heights to accommodate driver, gas tank, and driveline weight.
  2. The springs are different heights since the spring perches are at different heights on the axles. (if this is the case I am even more confused. I thought all 80 axles had the same differential offset regardless of LHD or RHD orientation.)
There were no indications with my springs that they were AU spec and should be installed on opposite sides for LHD vehicles. I installed my springs as they were labeled. Left on the drivers side and right on the passenger. My truck is sitting level with no lean.

@Squeegee I still think something else is going on. Even if the springs were installed on the wrong side I do not think that would result in numbers as drastic as the ones you posted. 1 1/2" lean is pretty drastic.

My favorite part about MUD is turning a simple question into a 5 page thread..... Here we go. :meh: :bang:
If the coils are marked left or right, they go on the left or right side of the truck normally. BUT the easiest way to get it right is to mark your stock springs BEFORE removal so that you'll see which one is taller, then put the new taller coils on that same side. Also not every vehicle leans the same, some 80's require flipping the rear coils left and right to get it to sit level.

No coils that leave the factory are marked differently for any country.

If the coils are marked left or right, they go on the left or right side of the truck normally. BUT the easiest way to get it right is to mark your stock springs BEFORE removal so that you'll see which one is taller, then put the new taller coils on that same side. Also not every vehicle leans the same, some 80's require flipping the rear coils left and right to get it to sit level.

This is good to know. In your experience do these take a while to settle in? I measured this morning and I’m at about 4 1/4” of lift in the right front and about 3” of lift on the passenger. Also the initial rate on the right is completely compressed by the left side is not touching.
B48CA9B4-D677-4FF3-97AA-A832F707F6DD.jpeg
7E93F0D9-8763-4886-81A4-E90C0CACCA35.jpeg

This is good to know. In your experience do these take a while to settle in? I measured this morning and I’m at about 4 1/4” of lift in the right front and about 3” of lift on the passenger. Also the initial rate on the right is completely compressed by the left side is not touching.View attachment 2515129View attachment 2515130
500 miles of driving and making sure the springs get to full compression and extension is how to break them in properly.

Less than a year ago I finally got the rear tapered springs to march the fronts and I’m quite sure they were marked as they would be installed in a right hand drive Landcruiser and also quite sure that David O. told me this when I asked him. But, it should be easy to see which is the taller spring and to simply install it on the driver (heavy) side of the vehicle no matter what continent we are on.

Where are we at on those 6” IMS shocks?

This is good to know. In your experience do these take a while to settle in? I measured this morning and I’m at about 4 1/4” of lift in the right front and about 3” of lift on the passenger. Also the initial rate on the right is completely compressed by the left side is not touching.View attachment 2515129View attachment 2515130
The driver side spring appears to be bowed much more that the passenger side. Given what you have there , it seems that your left side should be the side that’s taller. There should not be that much difference in lift from one side to the other. I’ve run OME heavies and Comp’s, Slee, and Dobinson springs and never had 1.25” of lean. If the taller two springs are on the left side you have a problem.

Full compression and extension?

Sounds like "drive it like you stole it and catch some air" :cool:

Hell yeah, live out your Dukes of Hazzard dreams, or at least jump some railroad tracks at full speed.

The driver side spring appears to be bowed much more that the passenger side. Given what you have there , it seems that your left side should be the side that’s taller. There should not be that much difference in lift from one side to the other. I’ve run OME heavies and Comp’s, Slee, and Dobinson springs and never had 1.25” of lean. If the taller two springs are on the left side you have a problem.

The left side is the bowed size and is 1.25” shorter than the right, which is why I’m so confused. I was going to switch the springs today and see if it tames the lean.

All sold out last week. Did you forget to place your order????!!!!
I asked for notification when they would be available. I was under the impression that it would be months before the 6” version was out because you couldn’t provide an eta to the market. I assume there will be more available in the near future?

I asked for notification when they would be available. I was under the impression that it would be months before the 6” version was out because you couldn’t provide an eta to the market. I assume there will be more available in the near future?
I was messing with you, since it was only about 20 minutes ago that you last asked about the 6" option. There's no news for them.

I was messing with you, since it was only about 20 minutes ago that you last asked about the 6" option. There's no news for them.
My memory is failing me.....

Springs are seated correctly in the lower perch? Strange they are bowed like that.

I just got home and double checked both sides, they’re in the bucket correctly. And the spring bowing doesn’t seem as bad in person as it does in the picture! I just doesn’t seem to be compressing the last winding of the initial rate
7D4DFEC6-9EBC-44C0-9A81-DCB254EE93E4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom