Do they make a “bead grip” type rim for 80s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

try google.
i typed in the size and it pulled up tons of Method wheel options

My question wasn’t limited to Method. But since you mentioned it, I didn’t find a 16” method BEAD GRIP wheel that fits our 80s.

16x8, same offset as the stock wheel, in a bead grip…….

Post #6 the guy is running a set of 701s. I've been thinking about 703s myself.

I don't know of any other company making bead grip wheels? I think that's a Method trademark but could be wrong. Or you could do it old school DIY with tape or whatever

16x8, same offset as the stock wheel, in a bead grip…….

Thanks!

I had 701s on my 80. They are NOT plug amd play. You either need spacers to fit as the inner bore has a raised lips that retains the center cap. The wheel need either a spacer to avoid interference with the lip, or the lips needs machined to the main bore diameter. I has spacers to make the wheels work, but had rubbing on my flares, so I went back to oem wheels.

Wheels are for sale, as are spacers, in Colorado.

In this shot you can see that the end of the axle hubs come right to the edge of the wheel bore. The lips I speak of is actually touching the hub nuts. The authentic looks nice as the wheels come out to the edge of the kut snake flares, but I'm not much on form over function.

20230728_090027.jpg

Last edited:
I had 701s on my 80. They are NOT plug amd play. You either need spacers to fit as the inner bore has a raised lips that retains the center cap. The wheel need either a spacer to avoid interference with the lip, or the lips needs machined to the main bore diameter. I has spacers to make the wheels work, but had rubbing on my flares, so I went back to oem wheels.

Wheels are for sale, as are spacers, in Colorado.
Good to know! You didn’t want to machine them?

First challenge I had is I didn't want to pay to unmount the tires and need to find a machine shop with a lathe with enough swing to machine the lip. If I didn't love them afterwards, they would have been modified and harder to sell.

Second is that the lip inside the oem wheel is very close to the same height. The main difference being the serrations the grip the tire lip. I've run tire on oem rims at 8 to 10psi without losing a bead, so the value of the feature is lessened in my head.

First challenge I had is I didn't want to pay to unmount the tires and need to find a machine shop with a lathe with enough swing to machine the lip. If I didn't love them afterwards, they would have been modified and harder to sell.

Second is that the lip inside the oem wheel is very close to the same height. The main difference being the serrations the grip the tire lip. I've run tire on oem rims at 8 to 10psi without losing a bead, so the value of the feature is lessened in my head.
Haven't lost a bead yet!
How often do you wheel that low of pressure and what kind of trails?
I blew a lot of beads on a lot of different rigs in the single digit psi before finally going beadlocks.

I've lost many a bead. Even with beadlocks, the inner bead can let go. I tend to wheel the rocks around 12 psi on well worn Swampers.
The dual beadlocks on the market are prohibitively expensive IMO.

Haven't lost a bead yet!
How often do you wheel that low of pressure and what kind of trails?
I blew a lot of beads on a lot of different rigs in the single digit psi before finally going beabeadlocks
I suppose I should quantify. Trails generally were east coat and more mud than rocks, but I did a fair number or offroad park rock gardens and rocky, bouldered sections of Tennessee without issue. I'm not suggesting that oem wheels are equivalent to the Methods bead retention, just that for me, it was either mod what I had or use a different rim. I went oem because I never had an issue with them.

I've lost many a bead. Even with beadlocks, the inner bead can let go. I tend to wheel the rocks around 12 psi on well worn Swampers.
The dual beadlocks on the market are prohibitively expensive IMO.
I ran the Hutchinsons for a while cause I found a deal on a used set. 8 psi all day. But they weighed about 40-45lbs a corner. I was hoping these methods could be a nice in between.

I ran the Hutchinsons for a while cause I found a deal on a used set. 8 psi all day. But they weighed about 40-45lbs a corner. I was hoping these methods could be a nice in between.
I have 16x8 Procomp steelies with a weld on beadlock kit. I used bead glue on the inner bead seat area, but sometimes they just let go. I don't think the "beadgrip" wheels are a replacement for real beadlocks, but whatever floats your boat.

Hutchinsons are ungodly heavy for what they are and all those bolts catch the rocks though I do really like the idea of a double beadlock. Lost a few inner beads on my beadlocks over the years, but they're not exactly hard to reseat so I've never "upgraded".

I'd definitely suggest staying away from the Icons with their new bead screw thinggy. Seen some weird stuff happen with them at low pressures and they look like tire damage waiting to happen.

Wtf is a bead grip? First I have heard of it. Sounds like some marketing gimmick to pry more $$$ out of our wallets.

Hutchinsons are ungodly heavy for what they are and all those bolts catch the rocks though I do really like the idea of a double beadlock. Lost a few inner beads on my beadlocks over the years, but they're not exactly hard to reseat so I've never "upgraded".

I'd definitely suggest staying away from the Icons with their new bead screw thinggy. Seen some weird stuff happen with them at low pressures and they look like tire damage waiting to happen.

Seems like every system has its pros and cons. I definitely scraped up a bunch of the bolts on my Hutchinsons. Agreed on Icon, I don't think I like how that system looks.

Wtf is a bead grip? First I have heard of it. Sounds like some marketing gimmick to pry more $$$ out of our wallets.
Well yeah that's why I'm hesitant about it, most reviewers are over enthusiastic youtubers... never tried it myself. But it's just an "official" version of using tape to make poor man's beadlocks.

Method added a set of grooves where the bead seats, supposedly it grabs onto it better.

editorial-carousel-beadgrip_0000_Layer_4_1900x.progressive.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom