Changin the coolant type (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
The mechanic changed the coolant from green to red and i am not sure he did a proper flush or a flush at all. I noticed a small gel. Is there a risk of damaging the system? I am aware of the risk of mixing two different coolants. The question is if no flush or not a proper flush was perfored what could happen.
Thanks guys🌹

If he didnt flush it out with distilled water and just tossed in the red, yea there can be some cooling issues.

So how do we fix this? simple, open the brass 12mm bolt on the driver side of the engine block and the petcock drain plug from the radiator and drain all of it out ASAP.

fill it with distilled water - takes about 6 gallons and toss in some thermocure and try to get that all flushed out asap

once its clear, then get some fresh toyota red and mis it 50/50 or 60/40

Step 2: Find another mechanic.

Step 3: PROFIT!

I'll add, with mixed coolant, feel free to flush with the hose. It's better to get that stuff out completely. Don't forget to turn on the heater to flush out the heater core too. Drain and flush everything, then seal it back up with hose water, then run it for a bit, get it up to temp so the thermostat opens, then shut it all off, flush with distilled water, then fill it back up. That's what I'd do anyway.

For what it’s worth…..I bought my 80 in 2019 and noticed it had Universal Yellow coolant. I immediately drained the radiator and engine block, replaced/bypassed the phh, eliminated the rear heater (Texas), and replaced all heater hoses. Flushed with about 7 gallons of DI water. At that time I couldn’t source Toyota Red which was annoying. Therefore, I switched to Universal Yellow which can be sourced just about anywhere. Zero heating issues for the past 4+ years.

Did you really notice gel or just sediment?

I'll add, with mixed coolant, feel free to flush with the hose. It's better to get that stuff out completely. Don't forget to turn on the heater to flush out the heater core too. Drain and flush everything, then seal it back up with hose water, then run it for a bit, get it up to temp so the thermostat opens, then shut it all off, flush with distilled water, then fill it back up. That's what I'd do anyway.
Yup, this is how I do it. The key is to finish with a good distilled flush.

Hi,
The mechanic changed the coolant from green to red and i am not sure he did a proper flush or a flush at all. I noticed a small gel. Is there a risk of damaging the system? I am aware of the risk of mixing two different coolants. The question is if no flush or not a proper flush was perfored what could happen.
Thanks guys🌹
Hi,
Thanks guys🌹

Hi,
Thanks a lot. I noticed the problem after driving 350 miles. Could that cause already damage to the system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom