Do they make a “bead grip” type rim for 80s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I recently put Method 703 bead grips on mine. 17x9 with -12mm offset. They don't fit out of the box due to the small raised lip that people have already mentioned, which is used to retain the center cap. I "machined" mine in just a few minutes using a router and a flush cutting bit with a top mounted bearing.

Amazon product ASIN B0000225XQ
Pic shown on post # 894

I had 701s on my 80. They are NOT plug amd play. You either need spacers to fit as the inner bore has a raised lips that retains the center cap. The wheel need either a spacer to avoid interference with the lip, or the lips needs machined to the main bore diameter. I has spacers to make the wheels work, but had rubbing on my flares, so I went back to oem wheels.

Do you remember the spacer specs? I've been running 1.5" spacers forever and looking at the 703s in 16", so I think I'm good but want to confirm you didn't do anything else.

Losing a bead or retaining it depends on many factors, not just wheel type. One of the main factors being, the relationship between tire size and wheel size. When I say this, I'm talking mostly about width of tire vs. width of wheel. Maybe others have had different experiences, but my experience has shown me that, to a point, a more narrow wheel holds a bead better at lower pressure vs. a wider wheel.

Losing a bead or retaining it depends on many factors, not just wheel type. One of the main factors being, the relationship between tire size and wheel size. When I say this, I'm talking mostly about width of tire vs. width of wheel. Maybe others have had different experiences, but my experience has shown me that, to a point, a more narrow wheel holds a bead better at lower pressure vs. a wider wheel.

Ya that’s a called a poor man’s beadlock.

The bead grip wheels are just a gimmick, you can create more bead resistance by simply adding some layers of duct tape but they have generally the same performance of any other wheel.

Do you remember the spacer specs? I've been running 1.5" spacers forever and looking at the 703s in 16", so I think I'm good but want to confirm you didn't do anything else.
Yeah 1.5" is what mine were.

Ya that’s a called a poor man’s beadlock.

The bead grip wheels are just a gimmick, you can create more bead resistance by simply adding some layers of duct tape but they have generally the same performance of any other wheel.

I wasn't the one asking about bead grip wheels.

I wasn't the one asking about bead grip wheels.

It was a general comment based on the general thread context. My comment specifically to you was about skinny wheels on large tires being a poor man’s beadlock. Get over it.

I wouldn't completely say that the "bead grip" is marketing. After mounting and uninstalling many sets of tires on method wheels vs every other brand for our 80's, I can confidently say that bead grip works offroad and on a tire machine...

I have seen multiple tire bead/sidewalls let go (Tear) on the tire machine as bead grip did not want to let go of the tire. So take that for what it's worth, but with no experience wheeling these rims or seeing them up close you are just another keyboard quarterback. Also many many customers as well as I with offroad miles on Method wheels and rarely an issue on the trail. I don't remember having a bead let go, but I am sure it's happened at some point.

I wouldn't completely say that the "bead grip" is marketing. After mounting and uninstalling many sets of tires on method wheels vs every other brand for our 80's, I can confidently say that bead grip works offroad and on a tire machine...

I have seen multiple tire bead/sidewalls let go (Tear) on the tire machine as bead grip did not want to let go of the tire. So take that for what it's worth, but with no experience wheeling these rims or seeing them up close you are just another keyboard quarterback. Also many many customers as well as I with offroad miles on Method wheels and rarely an issue on the trail. I don't remember having a bead let go, but I am sure it's happened at some point.
Method as my current spare. SCS wouldn’t sell more than 4 wheels at a time a few years ago.

IMG_1117.jpeg

I've watched a few YouTubers run them through some pretty hardcore stuff at obvious single digit pressures.

Now, I'm not naive enough to think it's impossible that they're editing around blowing tires off the bead, but let's look at it logically. Let's say your literal job is to make wheeling vids. How much would Method have to pay you to make it worth editing around that? How much to keep running them? How much to run multiple sets on multiple rigs?

My conclusion is, either they work, or Method has seriously deep pockets and they're willing to spend a LOT to make these look good.

I've watched a few YouTubers run them through some pretty hardcore stuff at obvious single digit pressures.

Now, I'm not naive enough to think it's impossible that they're editing around blowing tires off the bead, but let's look at it logically. Let's say your literal job is to make wheeling vids. How much would Method have to pay you to make it worth editing around that? How much to keep running them? How much to run multiple sets on multiple rigs?

My conclusion is, either they work, or Method has seriously deep pockets and they're willing to spend a LOT to make these look good.

The same can be said about Mickey Thompson Baja Pro's. At one point almost every single offroad youtuber was running them, couldnt see a video without a jeep using them. Yet, I've never seen a set in real life, never met someone interested in running them, and after the first push of sponsorship all of those youtubers switched tires, but I'm sure many people saw them and were like "oh they must be good then"

I've ran good 'ol TRD wheels in single digits and never lost a bead either, often losing a bead is more siturational than what wheel you are running.

But its something that everyone will likely agree or disagree. I have a few sets of beadlocks and wheel multiple rigs and at the end of the day, there is no real middle ground regardless of what name is trademarked, youre either on beadlocks or not at all.

Question….
True bead locks are not approved for paved road use per the DOT correct? I have an old set of MT Baja lock wheels which aren’t made anymore and are not “true” bead lock wheels. Just curious about paved road use and bead lock wheels.

I think a lot of people just run the beadlocks on the street. The proliferation of wheels with "rock rings" means that you aren't likely to be noticed. That said, running them does accept a bit of potential liability. If you don't keep them torqued and suddenly the ring pops off, your tire pops off the bead and you cause a giant wreck, you're probably going to be effed in court.

I check my torque somewhat regularly.

Question….
True bead locks are not approved for paved road use per the DOT correct? I have an old set of MT Baja lock wheels which aren’t made anymore and are not “true” bead lock wheels. Just curious about paved road use and bead lock wheels.

Common misconception but DOT is not an approving authority, DOT just sets standards in which parts are manufactured, similar to SAE, JWL etc. This is expensive so most companys don't bother with testing or certification.

There are no laws in any state that prohibit the use of beadlocks. Utah is the only state that requires wheels to be SAE J2530 requirements at the time of registration, this does not prohibit people from using beadlocks in Utah by swapping wheels later. I believe Hutchinson's are the only current J2530 wheels availabile but liekly because most of their beadlock market is commercial and military.

Manufacturers often state "for off road use only" simply as a means to limit liability.

Common misconception but DOT is not an approving authority, DOT just sets standards in which parts are manufactured, similar to SAE, JWL etc. This is expensive so most companys don't bother with testing or certification.

There are no laws in any state that prohibit the use of beadlocks. Utah is the only state that requires wheels to be SAE J2530 requirements at the time of registration, this does not prohibit people from using beadlocks in Utah by swapping wheels later. I believe Hutchinson's are the only current J2530 wheels availabile but liekly because most of their beadlock market is commercial and military.

Manufacturers often state "for off road use only" simply as a means to limit liability.
It's not quite that cut and dried though. In a situation like this, governments will generally defer to a body like the SAE. Without getting too far into it, to my knowledge it really hasn't been tested in court one way or the other. I wouldn't want to be the one in that hypothetical wreck, paying the lawyer to save my ass.

You can find websites that confidently say what Joe just stated and other sites that state equally confidently that they are absolutely illegal.

I have heard (anecdotally) of people getting "fix it tickets" for beadlocks, but cops can write tickets for all sorts of bs. That doesn't mean it's the actual law. A friend once got a ticket from a cop insisting that his body lift was illegal.🙄 He went to court and the judge dropped it instantly.

It's not quite that cut and dried though. In a situation like this, governments will generally defer to a body like the SAE. Without getting too far into it, to my knowledge it really hasn't been tested in court one way or the other. I wouldn't want to be the one in that hypothetical wreck, paying the lawyer to save my ass.

You can find websites that confidently say what Joe just stated and other sites that state equally confidently that they are absolutely illegal.

I have heard (anecdotally) of people getting "fix it tickets" for beadlocks, but cops can write tickets for all sorts of bs. That doesn't mean it's the actual law. A friend once got a ticket from a cop insisting that his body lift was illegal.🙄 He went to court and the judge dropped it instantly.
Liability doesn't change because of beadlocks just like it doesnt for any other mod you add to your vehicle. Doesnt matter if its beadlocks or a junker that barely makes it a mile down the road or if I switch out OEM steering for highsteer. Insurance also can't deny a claim unless it's explicitly illegal, also not the case. Even your example of torquing the ring, how is this different then when a wheel comes off from loose lug nuts, how about all the people that don't check their knuckle nuts and lose a wheel, liability is the same.

I would love for you to post a website that confidentialy says beadlocks are illegal citing the source aka law that gives them this confidence. I have had these discussions across multiple forums almost ad nauseum and have been running bead locks on my daily for almost a decade, likewise several friends have beadlocks on thier daily.

I think in the end people can just look the laws up at any state.gov website and see for themselves.

Last edited:
Liability doesn't change because of beadlocks just like it doesnt for any other mod you add to your vehicle. Doesnt matter if its beadlocks or a junker that barely makes it a mile down the road or if I switch out OEM steering for highsteer. Insurance also can't deny a claim unless it's explicitly illegal, also not the case. Even your example of torquing the ring, how is this different then when a wheel comes off from loose lug nuts, how about all the people that don't check their knuckle nuts and lose a wheel, liability is the same.

I would love for you to post a website that confidentialy says beadlocks are illegal citing the source aka law that gives them this confidence. I have had these discussions across multiple forums almost ad nauseum and have been running bead locks on my daily for almost a decade, likewise several friends have beadlocks on thier daily.

I think in the end people can just look the laws up at any state.gov website and see for themselves.
Well, since your source is "trust me bro", and you're holding me to a higher standard than you've held your own arguments, I think I have better things to do. I'm not even telling you not to run them - I do myself.

Well, since your source is "trust me bro", and you're holding me to a higher standard than you've held your own arguments, I think I have better things to do. I'm not even telling you not to run them - I do myself.

False, read my last sentence. If I could find a law I would post it. If I could find a website like you describe I would post it. I can’t post something that doesn’t exist while you claim something does. My source literally the current laws of each state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom