Do I really need this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kent

Pedal Head
SILVER Star
Threads
I've been reading the desmog threads and trying to figure out what is not needed. Most of them are about the under hood gizmos. I noticed a thread recently that seemed to indicate the black emission box near the driver kick panel is not needed.

Can I omit it from my 76 2F? If so what is done with the harness plugs left hanging in the cab?

DSC06000.jpg

If you have a fuel cut solenoid on your carb, you'll have to ground it for your truck to idle without the emissions control box.

If you have a fuel cut solenoid on your carb, you'll have to ground it for your truck to idle without the emissions control box.

:confused: the solenoid comes with a ground wire - at least on the '72 carb

it's gone on my desmogged truck :meh:

:confused: the solenoid comes with a ground wire - at least on the '72 carb

They all do, but on trucks with the emissions control "computer", the FCS ground wire goes to that box and is controlled by it, so if you drop the box you have to manually ground the wire for the FCS to remain open with ignition, so the truck will idle. Not sure what year the emissions boxes were first put in.

They all do, but on trucks with the emissions control "computer", the FCS ground wire goes to that box and is controlled by it, so if you drop the box you have to manually ground the wire for the FCS to remain open with ignition, so the truck will idle. Not sure what year the emissions boxes were first put in.

Got any pics, diagrams or description of which wire this is?

This sounds like info that I would find useful. :)

I also have one of those rusted boxes on my '79. All my desmog stuff is gone. What terminal on the connectors do I have to ground to get rid of the box?

Got any pics, diagrams or description of which wire this is?

This sounds like info that I would find useful. :)

It's all laid out in the wiring diagram in the factory service manual, if you have one of those. My manual covers 1979-80, and the fuel cut solenoid ground is the white wire with a red stripe that enters the emissions control box at terminal #12. You need to ground that wire, anywhere in between the carb and the control box. I just crimped a tap-a-circuit on mine right next to the emission control box connector plug and put a ring terminal on that and attached it under the head of a convenient bolt under the dash. Or you could jump it to the white wire with a black stripe that goes in the emissions box at terminal 7, since that is the ground wire for the control box.

Last edited:
I also have one of those rusted boxes on my '79. All my desmog stuff is gone. What terminal on the connectors do I have to ground to get rid of the box?

See my last post above. If your truck is already running and idling, then someone has already grounded the wire or otherwise modified the fuel cut solenoid. Otherwise, it wouldn't idle without this mod.

I would be happy to send you this black box if I can confirm I don't need it. Sounds like I probably don't but so far no concrete evidence I can simply eliminate it. I would hate to try to ask for it back :crybaby:

I did leave a message with Jim C about it so we'll see if he gets back to me with info.

I'd love to have that box as a spare. I'm about to go up against the CA smog man on my 'new' '76. Wanna send it for shipping cost?

I have a '76 smog box somewhere in my pile of parts. If I can find it, I'll be happy to send it for shipping. As far as I know it should work but I can't be certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom