Events/Trails DIY Turbo V1.0, Boosted 80 = Happiness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2KCruiser

Everything 2KRacing, practically live here
Threads
Website
www.2kracing.com
So as soon as I picked up this car a few months ago, it has been eating away at me to just slap a turbo on this rig. Since there is so real easy or inexpensive way to do this, of course I had to come up with something completely different. Just a quick history about me, I run a performance shop called 2KRacing in SoCal. We have turbo charged and supercharged more than a few cars in the past 10+ years. However I came accross a few people that were mentioning a rear mounted turbo. It only took a few milliseconds for me to remove the spare in the back and start planning. I tried to use as many parts I had laying around. So kind of a frankenstein build but hey, just like the Title says, this is Version 1.0. Plan on remaking this and maybe building a few for anyone that wants to pass people on the highway while towing a trailer;)
Before I start getting comments like "you know that's not gonna work for river crossing right" or "you're gonna bust up that intercooler the first chance you get". Trust me, I have thought of many modifications I will be doing in the next few months. I just wanted to get the turbo on and working first. I will be adding an AEM Water Temp, Wideband/Boost Gauge 2-1 design on a pillar mount. I have been testing different turbos that have the same mounting so it only takes about 15 minutes to swap. So far the Rotomaster T4 w/.62 trim was the best. However next week I will be trying on a Turbonetics 60-1 with a .58 trim and I think that will have a a lot more kick. The best part of this turbo setup is that it uses it's own oil reserve completely separate from the engine oil. It has a oil pump and cooler with a reservoir that it feeds from. Keeps the temps well below engine oil temps and doesn't need to be cooled before shutting down the motor. Another really great thing is that it only took about 20 mins to go from turbo to non-turbo and vice versa. It is all bolt on once it's all in there. Anyways, this 80 sounds amazing. Not loud at all. Has that unique turbo spool sound you hear on 18 wheelers. Boost comes on at a little past 2000rpm and as soon as you hit about 4+ psi it feels like there is something pushing you and you can't help but to smile and laugh at how much torque is unleashed in this motor. Got to get back to work. Will be adding more pics and video soon.

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

Not bad for a street truck but for a truck that gets used offroad its pretty vulnerable. I would at least throw an outerwear prefilter over that cone. Lots of turbo threads going on now. Good time to be in the 80 turbo market.

Not bad for a street truck but for a truck that gets used offroad its pretty vulnerable. I would at least throw an outerwear prefilter over that cone. Lots of turbo threads going on now. Good time to be in the 80 turbo market.

It's only been on the car for about 2 weeks now. Just want to make sure I have no issues before I get it ready for some offroad action. Things I have in mind are rear protection for filter, turbo, oil lines and cooler, pump etc. and think about running another pipe to the front and connect to the factory air filter so that people with snorkles can still use for water crossings.

Very cool, what are you using for tuning?

Not bad for a street truck but for a truck that gets used offroad its pretty vulnerable.

X2

Sent from this fast HTC thing using IH8MUD

Very cool, what are you using for tuning?

All stock currently. So far have been running consistently 9psi with no issues for the last 2 weeks. Will install an FMU if needed. For now it's running great with no CEL.

What's the lag like with such a long run of pipe?

Honestly it does not have much lag. I will be installing a different different in the next few weeks to see if it will change much. Going down to a .58 trim. But I can say my '90 Supra with a Turbonetics 60-1 Turbo spools around the same rpms as this setup does currently.

Looks like a STS turbo setup. Seems like a reasonable idea after protection for the intercooler is added and the intake is moved up about 3+ feet. Nice work on an inexpensive turbo build.

Looks like a STS turbo setup. Seems like a reasonable idea after protection for the intercooler is added and the intake is moved up about 3+ feet. Nice work on an inexpensive turbo build.

Thanks, will be updating as improvements are made. As far as STS, I did use a similar pump that they use on their kits. They also show the improvements with rear mounted kits over conventional turbo and superchargers. Here's the link,

http://ststurbo.com/the_technology

Do you have a wide band on it? Before/After dyno?

AEM wideband goes on this week. Dyno will be after a couple months of testing. I can easily unmount the turbo and do a few runs with and without the turbo.

What kind of pressure drop from compressor to intake?

I would guess should be the typical 1-2 press drop because of intercooler and piping.
However much cooler AIT since everything is being cooled rapidly by moving air along the distance of piping. The cooler the air, the denser it is, more HP and less prone to unwanted detonation.

Very cool. So much you do and fiddle with it. I'm excited to see where you go with it. Keep us updated.

Chances of this on a OBD1 cruiser?

Very, very nice. Subscribing to this thread and looking forward to more. I'll be curious to see your mod's as you go along.

Very nice. Before someone talked me out of buying an 80, this is exactly what I had in mind for an 80. I was going to have English Racing do the work though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom