Distributor upgrades???? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went the early vac advance dissy w/Pertronix route on my 71. My engine runs strong now. You’ll want to add a ported vacuum fitting to your carb for the vac advance dissy. Mark’s Off-Road helped me make the switch. If that’s a route your interested in, you could call Mark.
His number: 1 (818) 953-9230

x2 on the pertronix. my 12/68 FJ40 is running the original distributor with pertronix and it runs great!

The "Search Forums" function (top left this page) will get you to a ton of info on distributor options.
There's a group of options available as well as a group of folks that have had great results with each.

I ran Pertronix in a non-usa distributor for many years without a glitch.
I switched to a DUI 6 months ago for reasons here. >>>"LINK"
It's only 6 months but quite happy so far.

I’m not sure what you mean by “upgrade”, but if you are talking about power performance, then they are all going to work the same if they are in proper operating condition. Ignitions just aren’t the weak link in the chain for more power in an F engine.

If you are talking about reliability, then electronic distributors are wonderful until something goes wrong out on the trail.

FWIW - I replaced the working OEM points with an electronic unit about 4 years ago. Worked fine until it didn't....Luckily, I was in my driveway when it crapped out.

Recently, I've re-install the old points dizzy to drive it. However, I will be installing a new OEM points dizzy, 19100-61180 this weekend. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, but I've run a car with points for many a year. Just always carried some spare points and a match book to set them.

IMG_4266.jpg

Last edited:
I bought one of City Racers distributors and used parts from it ( breaker plate; vacuum advance module) to rebuild my original distributor. Here in California a distributor is considered part of smog equip and if a tech wanted to be a hard ass he could say your vehicle doesn't pass visual test without original/or approved distributor. So to avoid problems mine is original on the outside and new on the inside.

I bought one of City Racers distributors and used parts from it ( breaker plate; vacuum advance module) to rebuild my original distributor. Here in California a distributor is considered part of smog equip and if a tech wanted to be a hard ass he could say your vehicle doesn't pass visual test without original/or approved distributor. So to avoid problems mine is original on the outside and new on the inside.

Sweet! I wondered if that could be done. Got any pic's of swapping the parts?

Being in a rolling 25 year smog state, I'm afforded the luxury of choices. :)

I do have pics I will send some out tonight when I get home from work. It was a very simple plug and play.

As stated very straight forward. Only a couple of notes. When installing vacuum advance module I had to install the original washer and clip/bracket that holds wire going to distributor body to ensure actuator rod wouldn't bind. Breaker plate held down by screws and clamps remove and lift out.

breaker_plate.jpg

vacuum advance.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom