Dilemma. V8 Conversion or step up to 100 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was going to suggest solid axle a 100 series until I read through everything. Before you start asking V8 swap or 100 series, you should make sure what is allowed since you're worried about emissions. What are the rules regarding motor swaps? Honestly though, if you kept it simpls and did the work yourself, you could probably pull off an LS swap under $8k. hell, I seen a few whole engine, trans, wiring etc... setups on CL for $700-$1000, summit sells stand alone stuff for them, advanced adapters makes adapters for most everything to a GM trans or I'm sure ignition they don't have it; Marks most likely does. I'm personally not a fan of the LS Fad, Or Cummins Fad. Hell, I'm not even that keen on my own monstrosity so far....only because it's not done anencephaly haven't had a chance to test it, but still. I would have considered a Toyota V-8 if the fuel economy and power were better. Anyway, in the end it isn't about what you want, what you need and cost .vs. benefit of each. If you want someone to make the decision for you, then I say hold onto the 80 and really go through it. New injectors, new catalytic converters, valve adjustment etc... bring it back to life that way.

I'm lazy. Is there a ballpark price for Robbie's 4.6? $10k? 20k?

i am also wondering that but want to know if it plays nice with OBD I since a bunch of things dont. i am in the middle of a basic rebuild for mine and will be bumping the compression a bit but i just dont see how you can get that much power out of one without some sort of tuning.

i am also wondering that but want to know if it plays nice with OBD I since a bunch of things dont. i am in the middle of a basic rebuild for mine and will be bumping the compression a bit but i just dont see how you can get that much power out of one without some sort of tuning.

Yes. If it is OBDII only then I don't care!

Good to know we're all in the same boat. Drove an Expedition with the Ecoboost from Seattle back to Dallas with my son. It was loaded to the gills with all of his stuff. Went over Monarch Pass in CO (11,300) like a boss. The 80 needs more powah!

^^the 3.5 ecoboost is the real deal. Mine embarasses V8s up here at altitude. If you could fit one in an 80, that would be awesome, but can only imagine that being a huge PITA.

OMG yes. That would be perfect for a cruiser at high altitude.

With a wiring harness option? That's slick. However, dropping a modern DI engine into a chassis not originally built for it opens up a lot of...opportunities for creativity. Anything can be done, but that's way past my skill level. A quick google shows trans adapters already available for a number of Ford options, not sure about GM.

If you want instant torque, the transverse version has a little smaller turbos due to packaging and hits full torque at 1500 rpm. It's an odd sensation driving a 4k lb V6 sedan that lugs up hills at 15-1800 rpm sometimes.

Also, for the Aussie comment - if they were to swap a turbo ford motor, they have a twin turbo I6 down there. Look up the Falcon XR6.

Mine was a drive in drive out conversion 3 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. It was a present to myself for being mortgage free so I didn't agonise too much over the justification which helps. Still love driving it and have never wished for more power, especially on highway it just trucks up hill and down dale on cruise control in 5th (manual) Good luck with whichever choice you go for.
IMG_1824.JPG

Mine was a drive in drive out conversion 3 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. It was a present to myself for being mortgage free so I didn't agonise too much over the justification which helps. Still love driving it and have never wished for more power, especially on highway it just trucks up hill and down dale on cruise control in 5th (manual) Good luck with whichever choice you go for.View attachment 1537192
And you converted it to what?

No, not in Australia :) It was pulled from a wrecked VE SS Commodore with 55,00klms on the clock. I think they were G8's (?) in the USA ?
untitled.png

Agreed. I recently bought a 3rd gen 4Runner for my oldest son and I realize driving it that everything these days is too damn big, because that truck is right sized. Paid $5K with full baseline maintenance @ 227K miles, 3" Toytec lift, 33" ST Maxx, interior is really good shape, limited edition ('99).

With no 3rd row, there's more room for the driver than in an 80 and as much in the second row, and at a ton less weight, the 3.4L smokes the 80 up steep high elevation grades with better economy and that engine has serious longevity stats. Plus...supercharged versions are not super hard to find.

It handles tight with the lift and that extra ton of weight shed makes it fun to drive. They look properly built on 33's unlike Cruisers that look like an elephant sitting in a bathtub and if you find the right model you can get the multi-mode t-case, rear e-locker, and 4:30 gears. Or (gasp) a 5-speed manual. They have a lot of clearance stock, so a 3" lift is comparatively a lot.

And...there are tons of them so parts are everwhere. For moderate wheeling and not hauling a big family, they are just perfect.

View attachment 1536161

View attachment 1536166

There are 3 link kits out the wazoo for the tacos in this generation...I thought they shared the front suspension with the 4runners, no? That would move them from 'moderate wheeling' to places that getting an 80 to go would be tough. I love my 80 on the trail, but I do not love it on I70. Not sure that a 3.4 wouldn't also get bogged down at altitude with 35s, armor, and bumpers though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom