Dilemma. V8 Conversion or step up to 100 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Devil's advocate question: why not go HDJ81? Factory turbo and improved mpg if you can deal with RHD. Prices are actually sane these days, and it's a short drive from BC to MT. If it's still too slow, put on a 3" exhaust and intercooler.

Devil's advocate question: why not go HDJ81? Factory turbo and improved mpg if you can deal with RHD. Prices are actually sane these days, and it's a short drive from BC to MT. If it's still too slow, put on a 3" exhaust and intercooler.
I could have old info, but for me I'd just be worried about parts availability.

After reading what your looking for, you would be happy with a 100 series

Oh, and fly fishing is awesome ;)

I could have old info, but for me I'd just be worried about parts availability.

For the 1HD-T? Outside of injectors or an injection pump, the rest should just be gaskets no? Otherwise most of the rest of the items should cross over. I suppose the full hydro trans could be an issue if it pops too.

There are 3 link kits out the wazoo for the tacos in this generation...I thought they shared the front suspension with the 4runners, no? That would move them from 'moderate wheeling' to places that getting an 80 to go would be tough. I love my 80 on the trail, but I do not love it on I70. Not sure that a 3.4 wouldn't also get bogged down at altitude with 35s, armor, and bumpers though.

Well, if you'll SAS it then different game for sure. The 3.4 is no screamer, but it does fine on 33's with stock diff gears rolling up I-70 on a 4K lb truck and 33's are kinda big when your truck is kinda small.

Last edited:
Fair point. I did pass a Tacoma last week in the 80 out on 285, uphill no less. He had a camper in the bed though, and couldn't tell if it was V6 or I4. The supercharger puts it at ~260 hp and a little more tq...not bad for a vehicle that starts out 1k lbs lighter than the 80.

I'm curious about this. Does anyone have a link to Adventure Offload <SP?>? Anyone have a build thread around that modified engine? Is anyone running a TRD supercharger on that modified 4.6L HC 1FZ-FE?

So I spoke with Robbie briefly re his 4.6 build and if it's getting the supercharger it sounds like he reduces the pressure a little to account for the gains in the super charger. We only spoke briefly but will follow up to get more info. I'm very interested in the 4.6 HC or 4.6 with s/c options myself. Also the bolt-on turbo option might be available too. I'm currently running a s/c so would probably have to get it rebuilt when it's time for the 4.6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom