1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dilemma. V8 Conversion or step up to 100 Series?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by UCBerzerkeley, Sep 10, 2017.

1. ZackR

ZackR SILVER Star

Since you are in Montana its likely the high elevation thats killing your power. Since you are already geared down to 4.88 a supercharger or turbo would make sense. I don't think a 100 series will feel all that powerful compared to what you have now, especially at elevation.

2. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

I'm curious about this. Does anyone have a link to Adventure Offload <SP?>? Anyone have a build thread around that modified engine? Is anyone running a TRD supercharger on that modified 4.6L HC 1FZ-FE?

DanMedeiros likes this.
  3. RayRay27

RayRay27 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Is that motor fully equipped to pass colorado emissions? That's my whole thing with the current 4.5L in my rig now. Its a pain to get it to pass emissions. I have been successful that last three times but I am always worried its not gonna pass. Obviously any new or reconditioned motor should be much cleaner burning but living in the Thornton area i am subject to emissions testing and I have had no success with the roadside testing stations and always have to take it to have it tested on the rollers. Also if you don't mind me asking, what does Robbie charge for that particular set up?

4. BerettaMato

BerettaMato SILVER Star

Yes I t will pass. You will have to talk to Robbie on price. What I paid was not cheep but it better than a V8 swap and I feel I am staying true to my 80.

FJRanger likes this.
  5. BerettaMato

BerettaMato SILVER Star

He is a little old School not really a web site. I found him through Rising Sun Land Cruiser Club and Onur of Land Cruiser Parts. Why would u run a supercharger on it. You would just brake a ton of s***. 300hp in a strait six is plenty of hp.

6. jaymar

jaymar

Have you considered a supercharger? @NLXTACY quite happy with his. Be sure the engine is in good shape, though he started with a '96 motor...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    NLXTACY and BerettaMato like this.
  7. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    You've been around long enough. This is @powderpig 's business.

pbr streetgang and BerettaMato like this.
  8. BerettaMato

BerettaMato SILVER Star

I think this is a great option if you have an OBD2 system.

9. LS1FJ40

LS1FJ40 SILVER Star

For the price of @NLXTACY's Supercharger install (and motor rebuild and chasing down overheating) you could purchase a 2-3 year old 200!!! :rofl:

GM V8 swaps are lame.

Talk to Robbie. This seems like a brilliant option.

As @zona eloquently put it...

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 12.50.19 AM.png

dogfishlake and NLXTACY like this.
  10. Nay

Nay

Agreed. I recently bought a 3rd gen 4Runner for my oldest son and I realize driving it that everything these days is too damn big, because that truck is right sized. Paid $5K with full baseline maintenance @ 227K miles, 3" Toytec lift, 33" ST Maxx, interior is really good shape, limited edition ('99).

With no 3rd row, there's more room for the driver than in an 80 and as much in the second row, and at a ton less weight, the 3.4L smokes the 80 up steep high elevation grades with better economy and that engine has serious longevity stats. Plus...supercharged versions are not super hard to find.

It handles tight with the lift and that extra ton of weight shed makes it fun to drive. They look properly built on 33's unlike Cruisers that look like an elephant sitting in a bathtub and if you find the right model you can get the multi-mode t-case, rear e-locker, and 4:30 gears. Or (gasp) a 5-speed manual. They have a lot of clearance stock, so a 3" lift is comparatively a lot.

And...there are tons of them so parts are everwhere. For moderate wheeling and not hauling a big family, they are just perfect.

IMG_7586.JPG

IMG_7805.JPG

retrofive, LS1FJ40 and ChuckB like this.
  11. jaymar

jaymar

Two things are not discussed in some households: price, and mileage.

WvW likes this.
  12. jaymar

jaymar

13. Mjones

Mjones

I believe this is one of Robbie's build plus several extra things including S/C and intercooler.
    Another WAIC (Water to Air Intercooler) for TRD SC

14. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

Thank you - I've been more away than here these last couple of years, so I hadn't been aware of this progression.

beno likes this.
  15. Boltripper

Boltripper Fixing things that are not broken... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    This was my final product from @sleeoffroad

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've daily driven this since October of 2015 and its been perfect in every way and has met all my expectations. Slee and company were amazing during the process.

If you are looking at $/hp this math isn't going to work out. period... , but I was looking for all Toyota and a modest power increase with great reliability. I got everything I wanted except one thing that I knew I wasn't going to get and that's the ability to tune the engine and transmission in its current form.

I've done several GM V8 swaps and the seat of the pants feel was with the transmission tuning even after tuning for HP and reliability. This would be so perfect in my opinion if you could do that in this setup.

However, in the end I still wanted all Toyota and I'm happy I made the choices I did...

Good luck in whatever you decide.. You kinda just can't go wrong with any V8 power ;)

John

16. 4rings5cyls

4rings5cyls

Would be interested in a test drive when you are done. He was talking about this in my driveway a couple weeks ago, and it was rather appealing.

BerettaMato likes this.
  17. dogfishlake

dogfishlake Karoshi SILVER Star

I like the 4.6 idea, I like the supercharger idea (If you can find one. I've tried many times to break my sc'd 80, so to speak, and no luck, just keeps giving at 260,000 miles. ), I like the 4.7 Slee motor swap, and if CO allows it there WILL be a nice turbo kit available soon for 80's. Not from me but it is 100% a fact (according to my Ouija board :D)

Not downing on the LS swap either, it's amazing. Just thinking in terms of all Mr. T

18. UCBerzerkeley

UCBerzerkeley

Media:
    Albums:
    I imagine finding an SC these days is worse than buried treasure. Robbie's 4.6 option is very interesting. I'd prefer to keep it all T as well :)

19. dogfishlake

dogfishlake Karoshi SILVER Star

A few Mud guys tried to keep the deal alive with Magnusson. Unfortunately it just didn't keep going. I am fortunate that I don't have emissions testing so at some point in the future my sc is hitting the block and I'm going turbo.

20. LS1FJ40

LS1FJ40 SILVER Star

I'm lazy. Is there a ballpark price for Robbie's 4.6? $10k? 20k?

My 93 is at 346k and limping along. She will need a transplant soon. And my rebuild of my spare is stalled and collecting dust...

GeoRoss likes this.