different length shackles on same axle to fix lean? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey... Is it ok to have different length shackles on the same axle?

rearlevel.jpg

I have a 4" HFS and had a noticeable lean to the passenger side in the rear... not the normal FJ lean. I decided to flip the rear springs around for more wheel base and when I did that I removed the CCOT leveler block that they put in... still leaning so I made a new set of shackles out of 3/8" plate. In order to get the rear to sit level I had to make the rear PS plates about 1-3/4" longer than the DS. One thing that may be surprising is that the shackle angles are now about the same, before the PS had more angle than the DS.

sideview.jpg

Could the weight of the spare tire have made it lean that much? Possibly sagged out that spring? I didn't think about taking it off before doing this. The FJ rides great and flexes the full travel of the shocks so I think it is ok but just wanted to ask.

How about this shackle angle? Only the DS rear is like this... any thoughts why this would happen? I never noticed it before when I had "H" style shackles there. Any concern on that loading on the bolts? Is there more going on here?

rightrearshackle.jpg

Thanks,
Eric

shim

you can shim the leaf pack at the mount on the axle, HFS sells a shim for cruiser lean --you can use it on either side

I havent heard of flipping the springs before---shackle reversal yes but not flipping the springs?

NO. No, no, no. Not safe.

The different length shackles or the outward angle that the PS shackle now has? Just trying to understand how to make it right...

you can shim the leaf pack at the mount on the axle, HFS sells a shim for cruiser lean --you can use it on either side

I havent heard of flipping the springs before---shackle reversal yes but not flipping the springs?

I had the HFS shim on the PS as they tell you... it causes the PS to drop... even without it the PS was already lower than DS. I could put it on the DS but it really seems like the spring rate of the PS leaf is different or they are different lengths. I need to go measure eye to eye on the rears to check.

Flipping the springs is relatively common and can get you a 98" wheelbase with little work... especially with a spring pack that has military wraps at both ends like the HFS does.

The different length shackles are not safe.

Arent they marked front/rear? If one leaf spring is longer than the other, and you have the lift installed correctly, you need to call tech support.

Please explain - why is having different shackle lengths unsafe? Not arguing, it just never occured to me to do that and I would like to know.

I can't see it as being unsafe either... I can see it accelerating the wear on the spring since I am now putting more load on it. If the front of the springs are fixed and the spring is fixed to the axle what is the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom