Builds Diff Kraken's Got Beef: Project Luna - 2008 URJ200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Diff Kraken is it possible? Yes. The metal is pretty strong right there and if i remember correctly there might be a brace behind the bumper right in that area. If so to repair it fully will be pretty difficult without cutting out the damaged metal and welding in a patch.

but if it is going to continue life as a wheeling rig why bother fixing it, the bumper will probably get dinged up again
I was thinking more along the lines of 2x4 and 5lb sledge- but maybe this is beyond that/not possible with the brace behind/metal is too thick for that. Was pondering if I should try to pound it out if I pull the bumper to install the winch- or leave the dent and try a winch install with the bumper still on the truck and just paint over the rusty hitch mark.

I was thinking more along the lines of 2x4 and 5lb sledge- but maybe this is beyond that/not possible with the brace behind/metal is too thick for that. Was pondering if I should try to pound it out if I pull the bumper to install the winch- or leave the dent and try a winch install with the bumper still on the truck and just paint over the rusty hitch mark.
i can tell you when i dented mine a 2x4 wasnt going to cut it, i had to put it on my frame machine at work lol, that metal is pretty strong

I thought about a 2x4 as well but I think you’ll still have a dent, it’ll just be a “flatter” dent with more small creases and bumps.

I thought about a 2x4 as well but I think you’ll still have a dent, it’ll just be a “flatter” dent with more small creases and bumps.
I bet a bottle jack wedged against something could push it out but it would likely turn out lookin lumpy. The more I look at it, the harder it seems it would be to get smoothed out. I think the brace behind is what kept the bumper from total collapse and will be hard to work around it.

Personally I'd forget about it as I don't think you're going to improve it with any attempt.

Personally I'd forget about it as I don't think you're going to improve it with any attempt.
Yup- that was my original strategy. It gives it "character". It's not often that you see a "battle hardened" 200 series driving around. 😆

Aren’t Ko2 a bit noisy as.
Same size I have been running on mine for a year and a half now. I too love the KO2 and have run them on many different vehicles but there are some here who outright hate them. Short of running in snow and ice often I can't fault them.
I wish I knew if the Ko2 was quieter and rode a little softer then the ridge grappler.

Aren’t Ko2 a bit noisy as.

I wish I knew if the Ko2 was quieter and rode a little softer then the ridge grappler.

Two of my favorite tires that I have run on multiple vehicles. The KO2 is quieter initially but gets louder incrementally around their half-life on, whereas the Ridge Grappler tends to stay roughly the same volume throughout it's life with only a slight increase in noise. The RG is more of a hybrid tire, think between an A/T and a M/T and the KO2 feels more like an aggressive A/T. If properly maintained/regularly rotated, the KO2 will last 20-30% longer than the RG but both are 50K mile tires, the KO2 going to 60-70K miles depending on use/vehicle/care.

Replaced Door Belt Moulding for all side windows. Sourced from Japan. 1/2 banana job to pull off old ones and replace. Maybe even easier than some wiper blade replacements. Just pull to remove and the new ones click in easily. I find the new window moulding to be super sexy. Pro tip- roll the windows down first.

Toyota Part No.
75720-60070
75710-60070
75740-60050
75730-60050

IMG_7123.jpeg

IMG_7127.jpeg

tempImageSsAJ6M.png

tempImage6m3LTs.png

Replaced Door Belt Moulding for all side windows. Sourced from Japan. 1/2 banana job to pull off old ones and replace. Maybe even easier than some wiper blade replacements. Just pull to remove and the new ones click in easily. I find the new window moulding to be super sexy. Pro tip- roll the windows down first.

Toyota Part No.
75720-60070
75710-60070
75740-60050
75730-60050

View attachment 3078762
View attachment 3078789
View attachment 3078763
View attachment 3078788
did you wipe down and clean the underside before putting the new ones in? My OCD is dying to know!!

did you wipe down and clean the underside before putting the new ones in? My OCD is dying to know!!
Of course! We're not barbarians.

Last edited:
Installed new actuator assembly on transfer case for consistent engagement of CDL and 4Lo.

My write up is here:

1659922375790.png

Last edited:
- Sneak Peek -

1661364336876.png

Puttin' my boy's Radio Flyer A/T Cargo Wagon to work preppin' for an upcoming TLCA event in Virginia (Capital Land Cruiser Club, Fall Crawl Oct 21-23). These Bud Built step sliders came in weighing a hefty 94lbs each with diamond top plate and powder coat. It's pretty incredible how they dwarf that big ole wagon- and that's just one of two boxes.

My order of operations over the next few weeks will be:

1) Get the parking brake back in working order
2) Install the Old Man Emu suspension w/new OEM LCAs
3) Install these step sliders
4) Install Bud Built Skids
5) Look into getting a winch into the ARB bumper

Woot woot!

IMG_7617.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my most up to date "To Do List":

Completed Items:
✓- Replaced missing ARB bumper decals (ARB sent as a courtesy)
✓- Cubby storage tray for cooler console (From Amazon)
✓- OEM shift knob (Toyota Part No. 33504-60241-E0)
✓- OEM floor mats (Toyota Part No. PT206-60080-01)
✓- OEM carpet cargo mat (Toyota Part No. PT206-60084-01)
✓- Installed Midland GMRS radio and ghost antenna
✓- Installed front license plate onto bumper
✓- Applied Fluid Film to front and rear bumpers
✓- Removed aftermarket side steps
✓- Used penetrating oil to loosen KDSS valves
✓- Removed aftermarket window tint on front windows and windshield
✓- Replaced missing center headrest for third row (thanks to a very kind MUD member)
✓- Set up iPhone: Bluetooth for calls, dash mount, charging cable, and music through auxiliary input
✓- Check front end components for wear: wheel bearings, CVs, tie rods, lower control arms, steering rack
✓- 275/70r18 BFG KO2 Tires
✓- Installed new OEM LCAs and hardware
  • Toyota Part No. 4806960030 $ 276.25 Suspension Control Arm (Left, Front, Lower)
  • Toyota Part No. 4806860030 $ 276.25 Suspension Control Arm (Right, Front, Lower)
  • Toyota Part No. 9011918006 x 2 $ 8.59 Alignment Camber Adjusting Eccentric Bolt
  • Toyota Part No. 481900C020 x 2 $ 22.33 CAM ASSEMBLY, CAMBER ADJUST
  • Toyota Part No. 481980C020 x 2 $ 11.25 Alignment Camber Adjusting Eccentric (Left, Right, Front)
  • Toyota Part No. 484520C020 x 2 $ 20.35 Alignment Camber Adjusting Eccentric (Front)
  • Toyota Part No. 484090C020 x 2 $ 16.64 CAM SUB-ASSEMBLY, FRONT SUSPENSION TOE ADJUST
✓- Replaced OEM PCV valve (Toyota Part No. 12204-38010)
✓- Replaced Actuator Assembly for transfer case (Toyota Part No. 36410-60112)
✓- Replaced ARB bumper fog light bulbs (H3 w/bullet connectors)
✓- Replaced Door Belt Moulding for all windows (Toyota Part No. 75720-60070, 75710-60070, 75740-60050, 75730-60050)
✓- New OEM Truestart 27F flooded lead acid battery (Toyota Part No. 00544-27F60-710)
✓- Oil change 5w-30 09/07/22
✓- Installed 2" Old Man Emu lift
✓- Lubricated steering shaft ingress and egress at firewall using silicon lubricant spray (Fixed squeak from steering wheel that started happening while parallel parking)
- Installed new clock spring to fix issue with intermittent Cruise Control - (Toyota Part No. 84306-0E010)
- Installed ARB front recovery points (ARB2815020)
✓- Installed BudBuilt sliders
✓- Installed Bud Built skid plate set
✓- Installed new OEM Transfer Position Switch (Toyota Part No. 84223-60010)
✓- Installed Warn EVO 10s Winch
✓ - Installed OEM wiper blades (Made in Japan versions- Toyota Part No. 85222-53071 (Front, Right), 85222-42110 (Front, Left), 85242-42030 (rear)
✓- Cleaned sunroof drains

Immediate to do list:
- Grease the drive shafts
- Apply Fluid Film to inside and outside of frame rails
- Cabin air filter
- Repair HVAC recirculate flap
- Diff fluids
- Transfer case fluid
- Transmission fluid
- Spark plugs
- Coils

To do soon list:
- Replace 2 main oxygen sensors
- New OEM headlights (Right- Toyota Part No. 81130-60D33, Left- Toyota Part No. 81170-60D03)
- Refinish ARB bumpers (rust treatment, dent removal?, repaint, drill holes for rear parking sensors)
- Replace front bumper rubber "Buffers" (ARB Part No. 3163018R, ARB Part No. 3163018L)
- Replace front bumper fog light surrounds (ARB Part No. 3163015)

To do someday/possibly maybe list:
- ARB Roof Rack
- 17" wheels and 34" tires
- Harrop Eaton ELocker
- Nitro 4.88 gears

Last edited:
In the 2 month of ownership I've really enjoyed this truck. My family has as well- comfortable, good power on the highway, lots of useable space for road trips, and it just looks cool and unique. My toddler especially loves the Land Cruiser. This is currently our only car and my wife drives this thing to her office a few days a week too. LOL... I'm sure her DC colleagues wonder why her car has crazy bumpers on it. Not many steel bumpers or built trucks here in DC- looking forward to moving back to Virginia soon where it will be a little less out of place.

IMG_6324.jpeg

F6FE2257-AEB0-408B-AA1F-012229AA6CE7.jpeg

IMG_6878.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm also really enjoying having a vehicle to work on again. It just wasn't the same having the 2021 4Runner... other than the occasional trip to the dealer and adding sliders and skids, there was nothing to work on! :) Building and baselining this thing should keep me busy for the foreseeable future.

I actually did remember to chock the rear wheels after taking these pics of my secret vacant lot back alley wrenching location. I'll pretty much have to sell my condo and move once they start redeveloping this property behind my place because I won't have anywhere on the block left to wrench- I was going to rent the work spot from the old guy who owned it, but he passed away and the property got sold to developers this year. Pre-pandemic I used to wrench on base, I might look into that again, but I would sure like to get a house with a garage instead.

tempImage5dAlNl.png

tempImageNA69IA.png

Last edited:
I brought "Luna" over to the local Toyota dealer (Arlington, VA - Koons Toyota) today for the first oil change just to see how they would do... not a great experience. I'll be doing my own oil changes moving forward- heck- I won't let them touch the truck again for anything.

1) New OEM battery: They charged $200 + $35 to clean the terminals. That's whatever I guess.

2) Oil Change: The paperwork says 5w-30, but when I ask them verbally why they aren't using 0w-20 they say they are using 0W-20, I asked them to please DO use 5W-30, they said they use 0W-20 but will print on all the paperwork that it is 5W-30. 🤦‍♂️ OK- that's insane. I let it slide and made a mental note to never go there again.

3) Adjust Parking Brake: They charged $68 I was happy so I could cross it off of my to-do list of having to mess with the rear parking drum and star nut. The truck still rolls forward when you put a little gas in drive. I looked under the cup holder and they maxed out the adjustment screw. That's not a proper parking brake adjustment and now I still need to do it from the rear star nuts. Lazy dorks.

4) I asked how much to grease the driveshafts. They quoted nearly $300. LOL... OK I guess I'll do those myself.

The other thing I thought was funny was that there are a couple items on the truck that would be worth mentioning to the customer, but they didn't bother. For example, the oil pan has a huge dent in it and half of the factory skid plate is missing. I thought they might want to mention that to the customer, but no mention. Ok. Whatever on that I guess. And the shocks are all blown and need immediate replacement. I'm doing the install soon, but you would think that might be worth a mention.

The icing on the cake is that it's a freaking LAND CRUISER with front and rear ARB bumpers that is pretty sweet but none of the techs or customer service folks thought it was worth a mention. The master tech pulled the truck up front after service and handed me the keys and said: "Here you go" with no expression and then walked off. No interest in the truck at all from anyone working there. Just thought that was pretty annoying. Maybe like a "nice 200" or "man, nice bumpers" I don't know, something would have been nice as it's not a super common vehicle to be through the service department as far as I know and it's a bit of a halo car for Toyota.

Anyway, rant over. I have fresh oil (Is it 5w-30 or 0W-20? Who knows...) and it has a fresh battery. The rest is water under the bridge. I'm looking forward to doing my own wrenching on the truck this weekend. This is the way...

tempImageSDSWRI.png

$300 to grease the driveshafts, they think it'll take 2.5-3 hours to do that job? LOL, dealers are crooks.

I brought "Luna" over to the local Toyota dealer (Arlington, VA - Koons Toyota) today for the first oil change just to see how they would do... not a great experience. I'll be doing my own oil changes moving forward- heck- I won't let them touch the truck again for anything.

1) New OEM battery: They charged $200 + $35 to clean the terminals. That's whatever I guess.

2) Oil Change: The paperwork says 5w-30, but when I ask them verbally why they aren't using 0w-20 they say they are using 0W-20, I asked them to please DO use 5W-30, they said they use 0W-20 but will print on all the paperwork that it is 5W-30. 🤦‍♂️ OK- that's insane. I let it slide and made a mental note to never go there again.

3) Adjust Parking Brake: They charged $68 I was happy so I could cross it off of my to-do list of having to mess with the rear parking drum and star nut. The truck still rolls forward when you put a little gas in drive. I looked under the cup holder and they maxed out the adjustment screw. That's not a proper parking brake adjustment and now I still need to do it from the rear star nuts. Lazy dorks.

4) I asked how much to grease the driveshafts. They quoted nearly $300. LOL... OK I guess I'll do those myself.

The other thing I thought was funny was that there are a couple items on the truck that would be worth mentioning to the customer, but they didn't bother. For example, the oil pan has a huge dent in it and half of the factory skid plate is missing. I thought they might want to mention that to the customer, but no mention. Ok. Whatever on that I guess. And the shocks are all blown and need immediate replacement. I'm doing the install soon, but you would think that might be worth a mention.

The icing on the cake is that it's a freaking LAND CRUISER with front and rear ARB bumpers that is pretty sweet but none of the techs or customer service folks thought it was worth a mention. The master tech pulled the truck up front after service and handed me the keys and said: "Here you go" with no expression and then walked off. No interest in the truck at all from anyone working there. Just thought that was pretty annoying. Maybe like a "nice 200" or "man, nice bumpers" I don't know, something would have been nice as it's not a super common vehicle to be through the service department as far as I know and it's a bit of a halo car for Toyota.

Anyway, rant over. I have fresh oil (Is it 5w-30 or 0W-20? Who knows...) and it has a fresh battery. The rest is water under the bridge. I'm looking forward to doing my own wrenching on the truck this weekend. This is the way...

View attachment 3108640
Did you check dipstick to verify they changed the oil?

Looking for external validation on your cool purchases never works out……

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom