Diesel gas argument (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good arguments all around but once your diesel is started there is really nothing that will stop it from getting you home.
Water crossings, range reliability henceforth is why diesels are so prevalent in Africa, Australia and other hostile environs.
I may be wrong but pretty sure the US has lots of cell coverage for instance which allows you to call a friend. For my money the diesel wins.
Now a standard diesel even without a battery or starter parked on a hill will start and bring you home ...one wire beauty!

Ok
If a diesel Toyota goes to the moon it's good enough for me!!!

Screenshot_20190312-220536_Google News.jpg

Good arguments all around but once your diesel is started there is really nothing that will stop it from getting you home.
Water crossings, range reliability henceforth is why diesels are so prevalent in Africa, Australia and other hostile environs.
I may be wrong but pretty sure the US has lots of cell coverage for instance which allows you to call a friend. For my money the diesel wins.
Now a standard diesel even without a battery or starter parked on a hill will start and bring you home ...one wire beauty!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet.
I had friends who were driving through an area of Africa years ago that had several fires started by lightning close to the road. The diesel cruisers were driving through the smoke, but the gassers could not for obvious reasons. I'm not saying it was a smart move in any vehicle, but I wasn't there.

I still don't think anyone's mind has been changed, but in 5 pages this aspect hadn't been brought up. Still pretty cool and a huge testament to the people on this forum that the discussion is civil after this many posts.

I agree about a manual transmission diesel, once started it's like a honey badger - it really doesn't care - it doesn't care what accessory dies or if the battery and/or alternator are completely dead, it still keeps on going.

I really love the idea of an older mechanical diesel. But there just doesn't seem to be one that fits this use well. I think the 4BT is a poor choice from an NVH perspective. The 6BT is too big and heavy, sure you can make huge power and torque with it, but then you are looking at drivetrain issues. The Toyota diesels are great but still somewhat "exotic" in the US so parts, and work is a concern. The new 2.8 Cummins I don't believe shares the same robustness as the Cummins from the 90s.

I would really love to see a smaller, lightweight, inline 6, 3.5-3.8L, mechanical turbo diesel offered by Cummins but I think that ship has sailed. Cummins is very aware of EPA regulations and selling an engine that does not meet current EPA regulations for use in a road vehicle will not happen. I had cash in hand and could not get them to sell me a ISF3.8. Which is still a 4 cylinder but it makes 170hp, 443ft/lbs of torque, weighs 610lbs, but is mechanical and doesn't have any of the emissions nonsense.

But a small lighter weight 6 cylinder diesel would be cool.

Recently sold my diesel truck and moved to a gasser to pull the toys. I've always been a diesel guy and really thought I always would be, but the increased cost of fuel, plus the extra emissions equipment, plus the high cost of repairs on a modern truck have changed the game.

I have a freshly rebuilt Isuzu 6BDT that I want to put in a rig at some point. It's 5.7L and all mechanical. It's just the right size for a Cruiser. It had been run in a 1980's Chevy K30 pickup prior to the overhaul (new sleeves and all). Came with the SM465 transmission hooked to it. Its probably a few pounds lighter than a Cummins. Only downside is getting parts for it. And I love my 1FZ-FE for it's quiet, reliable and smooth operation so much that it will probably stay until it dies; which may be long after I do!

I really love the idea of an older mechanical diesel. But there just doesn't seem to be one that fits this use well. I think the 4BT is a poor choice from an NVH perspective. The 6BT is too big and heavy, sure you can make huge power and torque with it, but then you are looking at drivetrain issues. The Toyota diesels are great but still somewhat "exotic" in the US so parts, and work is a concern. The new 2.8 Cummins I don't believe shares the same robustness as the Cummins from the 90s.

I would really love to see a smaller, lightweight, inline 6, 3.5-3.8L, mechanical turbo diesel offered by Cummins but I think that ship has sailed. Cummins is very aware of EPA regulations and selling an engine that does not meet current EPA regulations for use in a road vehicle will not happen. I had cash in hand and could not get them to sell me a ISF3.8. Which is still a 4 cylinder but it makes 170hp, 443ft/lbs of torque, weighs 610lbs, but is mechanical and doesn't have any of the emissions nonsense.

But a small lighter weight 6 cylinder diesel would be cool.

I have had my Cummins 6bt in my 80 for over a year, and 50K miles I have towed F450's stuck on the side of the road, tried towing a dump truck, tried so hard to brake something, but did not, yeah I gained 300# but great MPG, and I think I am on the plus side of my swap, I did all the labor my swap only cost me about 7K, for everything . @baldilocks has been out wheeling with me, and idling up things I had to take a run at before the swap, I would do this again, in a minute, I get from 18-20 mpg depends on how much I bury the pedal, I love the idea that when I am getting on the freeway or going up the mountain's towing my boat I can haul ass and pass people when I feel like it, and you cannot do this in a stock gasser, maybe a turbo but

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet.
I had friends who were driving through an area of Africa years ago that had several fires started by lightning close to the road. The diesel cruisers were driving through the smoke, but the gassers could not for obvious reasons. I'm not saying it was a smart move in any vehicle, but I wasn't there.

I still don't think anyone's mind has been changed, but in 5 pages this aspect hadn't been brought up. Still pretty cool and a huge testament to the people on this forum that the discussion is civil after this many posts.

I agree about a manual transmission diesel, once started it's like a honey badger - it really doesn't care - it doesn't care what accessory dies or if the battery and/or alternator are completely dead, it still keeps on going.

I might’ve missed the point here? The fire won’t make a difference unless it starts melting stuff and contacts the fuel. But the trucks will stop long before that becomes an issue due to other failures.

I think mechanical diesels live a longer life (in the worst of remote working conditions) than a gas engine due to simplicity, but the markup on Toyota diesels is irrational (to me living in the US).

I love 6BT's as they are great in a tow rig (like my dually), however for me, penny for pound a new V8 (choose your poison) is very hard to beat in the power to weight ratio and MPG. Heck an old 350 TBI (with 700r4 not 4l60e) with 200K on it out runs a 1fz and 1hd easily, doesn't beat 1h in the mpg department though...

Secondly if you really want to compare you should look at cost of a used or crate LS, and compare to any other power train... If you can do the swap yourself its pretty cheap even when comparing to a rebuild...

Just my opinion, i could be wrong... For tow rigs I care about MPG as long as its above 9 we are good, for toys its just a by product...

100% agree on the LS crate swap! Amazing engine and great MPG even. Only upside for diesel is the offroad mpg will still be a little better which means increased range, however that can be augmented by auxiliary tanks.

Now if only @NLXTACY would make a LS swap kit then I’ll forgot the turbo any day.

Last edited:
The electrical reliability point brought up by others is fer real.

I was coming back from a camping trip a couple years ago when my alternator died. Continued to drive it home for 2 1/2 hours with no ill effect other than some idiot lights on.
I was out of town for work a few years ago and my alternator gave out. I drove it around like that for a week, on the way home the voltage dropped low enough that my radio stopped working but the truck didn't stop.

If there was ever an updated Cummins 6AT, it would be the perfect motor, if your going for a Cummins diesel swap. IMO

I think of my 80 series as a legacy truck. I'm not really looking to sell it, and it will suit my needs for 4WD travel for decades to come.

The diesel has fewer electronics will last longer once it is baselined. I'm worried about the repairability of 90's vehicle ECUs.

Eventually we'll run out of spares and people who know how to fix them.

"If Jesus owned a diesel it would be the 7.3" ;)
My 97' F350 4x4 with 158K on the ticker gets a solid 21mpg on HWY but it has 3.55 gears which keeps the rpm at around 1700-1800 at freeway speeds...

Ok, back to your regular program, I would luv to have a toyota diesel with a 5speed in my LX-450 which to me would by the ultimate expedition rig....... but it would just be to much money and my gasser does everything I throw at it, yes a bit slow but its been super reliable and Im hoping for 300K miles till a rebuild....

Tech photo ;)

008.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom