Diesel gas argument (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a Pacbrake for mine. I will try to find room for it once I install my stiffer valve springs. Should be interesting when it's completed.

I never had this whole debate coming from a 3FE 80. It was 9mpg then to 18mpg now.

If I had to do a swap again I would look hard at a LS and avoid the bugs that come with a never done before type of engine swap. Big gas engines are sweet but they are everywhere just like jeeps. Not unique at all. A turbo'd 1FZ is a cool factor like a Land Cruiser.

Never go diesel for just the fuel savings.
I have the PRXB Pacbrake on my dodge. You will love it. Leave it on all the time and never replace service brakes again.

I’ve owned 12v dodge & LB7 Chevy. Diesel is great until it breaks. I now own a 72 4wd highboy with a 460/5spd. I can buy a lot of gas to feed it and the 1fz vs buying a new diesel truck or conversion.

Last edited:
And I'd agree with you if there were a rash of ECU or electric related problems on 1FZs but those are few and far between. The worst I've seen electrically is the EFI relay and the fusible link. Both are easily fixed and spares should be in everyone's glove box. I guess my point is if the additional components in the 1FZ which make it "more complicated" have the same longevity as the rest of the engine does it really matter that it's more complicated? And I'm specifically talking about the 1FZ with mid 90s era electronics. We're not talking about a modern computer controlled vehicle where the transmission won't shift if the radio is removed.
Do they have the same longevity though? You are relying on a lot more things to continue working for the engine to run. If you lose an alternator (or fuel pump, CPS, coil, etc.) you're screwed without spares. This is all getting to be a bit pedantic.

Agree the VDJ "single" turbo is not super powerful but I disagree when it comes to the VDJ "twin" turbo as its a monster with no lack of power.

View attachment 1925725

The 200 engine is great. We have Steinbauer chips on both 200s in Australia and they are really fantastic. Really wakes them up.

Never try to figure out the economics of how much an 80 series costs to maintain and run.

It will quickly make you realize how terrible of an investment, or financial choice you're making.

In comparison to my HDJ81, my 2018 Raptor is an economical vehicle. $30 oil changes (that I don't have to do) zero repair costs, and the best depreciation curve in the game. I also get 17 MPG HWY driving at 80-85 on the cheapest gas possible.

My HDJ has $150 oil changes, and some fickle seal or part has to be replaced monthly, and gets 17 MPG on fuel which is 25% more expensive.

Phil is right.
I think you are right when it comes to comparing something somewhat exotic(at least in the US) like the HDJ81.

However, I have about $18,000 into my 80 and it is pretty much fully refurbished and in excellent condition to last another 25 years.

The entry price has to be considered. I paid $3000 cash plus a free exterior paint job on a fancy house to obtain my 80. I then spent roughly 2 years rebuilding and refurbishing it but I never had to take the truck down for more than two weeks and that was due to a problem at the machine shop that I used to recondition the head when one of their machines busted in the middle of the job and it took a week to get it fixed so they could use it.

The truck is paid for in full and because of the way I did it, I didn't have to borrow any money that I couldn't pay back before I started having to pay interest on it.

I can't think on another vehicle that I could get into for $18K without a car payment that would come anywhere close to being as robust as the 80 that I drive. What does 18K get you these days? A ten year old Tahoe? No thanks.

I’ve owned 12v dodge & LB7 Chevy. Diesel is great until it breaks. I now own a 72 4wd highboy with a 460/5spd. I can buy a lot of gas to feed it and the 1fz vs buying a new diesel truck or conversion.
What broke?

I was curious what you break on 12 valve myself, they are notoriously cheap to keep running....

Our shop truck has north of 500k, been through several trans and turbos, but still getting it...

Head gasket, spent 5k on repair at a stealership which included new not reman head. Repair job lasted about two days.
Stealership blamed it on cracked block. That along with pos mopar auto trans ended up selling truck nonrunning.
LB7 leaking head gasket leaking injectors.

10L of Rotella here in Canuckistan runs me about $100, then add $35 for a filter.
I guess you found the holy grail of oil filters then? Or is that taxes?

Head gasket, spent 5k on repair at a stealership which included new not reman head. Repair job lasted about two days.
Stealership blamed it on cracked block. That along with pos mopar auto trans ended up selling truck nonrunning.
LB7 leaking head gasket leaking injectors.
Extremely rare 12V problem. Build the transmission right and enjoy it for many miles. There is a reason today’s diesels have aggressive torque management programed in. Even the detuned 12v engines are capable of enough instantaneous torque off idle to kill any auto that you could fit in the trans tunnel if not driven properly.

Interested to see what the 13BT will pull...sort of. If it's low 20's, I'm ok with that.

I've filled mine 45 times. I've seen 21 MPG twice and 20 once, all hiway, truck only. Most of the time I'm either around town, towing a Kimberley Kamper or off-road. Most of the time I see 17-18.

5 speed, 4.11 gears, 33 inch tires, speedo corrected.

Not sure what OPs intent was when starting this discussion, but 5 pgs in 1 day created a bunch of it. Just wondering, a quick poll, Anybody change their mind on which is better?

As you said, it's a discussion.
That's how these things work.
People voice their opinions, views, and experiences on the subject.
That doesn't sound right. Aren't we supposed to pick a "side" and defend it until someone has to pull whatever it is from our cold, dead, hands? :hillbilly:

Might be a little much for some people to adjust right away. Just sayin' ;)

Not sure what OPs intent was when starting this discussion, but 5 pgs in 1 day created a bunch of it. Just wondering, a quick poll, Anybody change their mind on which is better?

If anything it broke the myth Toyota diesel powered Land Cruisers get 35mpg and are cheap to own.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom