Builds Dave's 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Question:
My spark plug wires say 1996 on them. Does that mean they're original?
20180730_143057.jpg

Pulled the PSP today and replaced the high pressure and low pressure lines including the reservoir line. New pump should be here in a couple of days.
Oh and the PSP required a special tool to be convinced to separate itself from the truck.

rps20180812_195130.jpg

rps20180812_195105.jpg

rps20180812_195159.jpg

Finished putting in all the new PSP lines today. I went with gates for the high pressure line and I got the low pressure lines and also some charcoal canister lines from phhkit.com. I also got a phh kit but that's for another day.
Tip: replace the low pressure lines first. I didn't and it took a lot longer than it needed to. I ended up pulling the battery box out in order to get to it. I figured that would be easier than pulling the high pressure line.
rps20180814_164642.jpg

rps20180814_164557.jpg

Another tip: hold on to that banjo bolt. I dropped mine and spent a full hour looking for it. I found it wedged in deep inside the coilover.
rps20180814_164013.jpg

Still waiting for the pump.

A little more fixed, a little more broke...

I wanted to drain the coolant since the stuff in the overflow looked like sewage and the upper radiator hose was obviously leaking.

I tried to pull the drain plug but it started making horrible noises like it was gonna break so I left it alone. I already had both upper and lower hoses ready to replace so I just drained the radiator from the lower hose. I ended up cutting it off.
View attachment 1756017

Same story for the upper hose. I got dayco replacement hoses because that's what the store had. I was a little surprised they had any at all. I'm now glad I got these cheapos because it looks like I'll be pulling the lower hose off at least 2 more times.
Anyway I got about 2and a half gallons out and went to pull the block drain but couldn't get it to move. ( see separate post)
So I put the new hoses on and filled it with some distilled water. I'll run it like this for a while and then drain it again. Hopefully I'll be able to get the block drain out too.
View attachment 1756025 View attachment 1756026 View attachment 1756028
Looks pretty scary.

Also, ( i should have lead with this), my fzj80 is now officially triple locked! :D
View attachment 1756027

Man, you weren’t kidding about your steering wheel being in bad shape!

Man, you weren’t kidding about your steering wheel being in bad shape!

Haha yup!

I got your cover today. Looks great. I'm missing some parts for the other projects I wanted to do this weekend ( PSP finally came though), so I may try to tackle the wheel. I need to do some research first though. I'm not a seamstress.

Finally got the PSP installed on Sunday. So far no leaks, no noise and I can steer with 1 finger.

While I was reinstalling the battery I noticed the negative terminal was floppy so I bought a new set. I didn't realize that my fzj has one of each type terminal. Luckily the neg was the one I needed so no big deal but still weird. I'll go get a new positive soon so they're both new. I like the color coded idea too. I really wanted to get a set of the heavy duty cables that @Fourrunner sells but after dropping nearly 3k on this truck in less than a week some things will have to wait.

Speaking of spending too much money...
rps20180828_094648.jpg

:D

Ome medium lift came. I also got new sway bar links front and rear.

My next 3 weekends are booked so I might cave and let the local shop install it. Hes done this before and I was gonna let him do the tires anyway.

Didn't get to the steering wheel cover. I spent all day Saturday putting struts in my brother in law's camry. Actually most of the time was spent replacing broken lug studs :/

Last edited:
Did the valve cover gasket, plugs, grommets, wires. Pvc, intake hoses, and some general engine bay cleanup.
Started with a pile of oem parts.
rps20180904_093825.jpg

Then, ripped a bunch of parts off my engine.
rps20180904_094343.jpg

I was just removed the 4 bolts from the TB and had a friend lift it up while I wiggled out the vc. I think this saved a little time. I will be removing the TB and intake at some point in the future for cleaning but not today.
rps20180904_094454.jpg

I didn't get a before pic so you'll just have to take my word that it looked nasty. I spent an hour cleaning and painting the vc. Don't worry about the throttle cable flopping around. I hadn't replaced the mount yet, it was still drying. I'm going to order all new cables soon also. They're as rough as they look.
rps20180904_094150.jpg

New wires...22 years later. I kept the original as backup parts cause they really didn't seem bad. The plugs were done though. I had to shoot a little pbb to loosen them up. A couple of them didn't want to go.
I had some experience from my 05 f150 that used 3 piece plugs that like to break off. My trick was to just squirt a little pbb, wait 15 -20 minutes, and crack em about 1/8th of a turn then wait some more. I didn't break a single one and I used the same method here but a little less pbb was required this time.

Total time for this job was about 4 hours plus lunch.
I didn't get to the fuel filter. Maybe next weekend.
I'll get to the lift soon too..I hope.

It was leaking from the rear seal. Steering was also stiff at slow speeds. I replaced the lines as PM.

Thx! Great work BTW!

rps20180909_174330.jpg

Done....mostly
Took me all weekend.
I broke a bolt on the rear sway bar link. I tried to get it out with a bolt extractor, hit it with mapp, nothing worked. It's in there good. I guess I'll have to drill and tap it. For now, I just took the sway bar off. I'll put it back as soon as I fix the broken bolt. I also had a heck of a time getting one of the rear upper bolts off. "Irwin bolt grip" saved me on that one. Ironically, both the rear lower bolts buzzed right off with the impact. I treated all the bolts with pbb every day for a week prior to install.

Still need to install the caster bushings and the steering stabilizer.

For the record:
From center of hub to top of fender
22.5" front both sides
23" rear both sides

I don't have a spare tire or 3rd row seats installed at the moment.

Last edited:
Looking good.

Surprised you haven't put new fusible links in yet!

Finally got the PSP installed on Sunday. So far no leaks, no noise and I can steer with 1 finger.

While I was reinstalling the battery I noticed the negative terminal was floppy so I bought a new set. I didn't realize that my fzj has one of each type terminal. Luckily the neg was the one I needed so no big deal but still weird. I'll go get a new positive soon so they're both new. I like the color coded idea too. I really wanted to get a set of the heavy duty cables that @Fourrunner sells but after dropping nearly 3k on this truck in less than a week some things will have to wait.

Speaking of spending too much money...
View attachment 1776864

:D

Ome medium lift came. I also got new sway bar links front and rear.

My next 3 weekends are booked so I might cave and let the local shop install it. Hes done this before and I was gonna let him do the tires anyway.

Didn't get to the steering wheel cover. I spent all day Saturday putting struts in my brother in law's camry. Actually most of the time was spent replacing broken lug studs :/

View attachment 1785467

Done....mostly
Took me all weekend.
I broke a bolt on the rear sway bar link. I tried to get it out with a bolt extractor, hit it with mapp, nothing worked. It's in there good. I guess I'll have to drill and tap it. For now, I just took the sway bar off. I'll put it back as soon as I fix the broken bolt. I also had a heck of a time getting one of the rear upper bolts off. "Irwin bolt grip" saved me on that one. Ironically, both the rear lower bolts buzzed right off with the impact. I treated all the bolts with pbb every day for a week prior to install.

Still need to install the caster bushings and the steering stabilizer.

For the record:
From center of hub to top of fender
22.5" front both sides
23" rear both sides

I don't have a spare tire or 3rd row seats installed at the moment.

Great work! I have the same OME lift, but with Heavy coils in the front. Even with the OME caster bushings, the caster is out of spec. I’m switching to Land Tank caster plates and OEM bushings as soon as I can. YMMV.

I have been looking at those new geolander MT's for awhile they seem like an improved version of the toyo MT which has always been good to me in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom