Cutting Down a Non-Airbag Steering Wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
No that's not a mispelling, I really am going to chop away at my steering wheel. As my '94 FJZ80 was about the last year they made them airbag-less, I've got the 3 spoke model:

On long trips I find the bottom spoke to adversely affect my one-finger-on-the-wheel-while-texting-and-sipping-my beer-method-of-chillaxed-motorin'.

That was a joke. But I still hate the middle spoke.

Yes, I know this non-recommended surgery on my baby will look odd, compromise the wheel's integrity, contribute to global warming and make Kiichiro Toyoda spin in his grave. Yes, I know I should instead spend the $300 for a 96 airbag wheel that already has the space at bottom for your hand.

On with the Wheel Butchery!

Here is what the wheel looks like "unclothed" front and back:

My feverish plan is thus:
1) Pick a day the wife is not home
2) Remove wheel cover.
3) Place large box under wheel.
4) Tape and bag off any moving parts nearby to avoid metal shavings doing nasty stuff. I'd pull the wheel and cut it outdoors but how would I clamp it in place?
5) Say little prayer
6) Grind off metal spoke near middle of wheel and rough out the plastic at bottom with 4" grinder wheel
7) Fine-tune with Dremel/razor
8) Cover all with Wheelskin
9) Set off on chillaxed roadtrip

Anything I am forgetting? Anyone interested in the gory results? Can't believe nobody else has ever done this....

Um, cuz aftermarket wheels cost a lot more than a $50 Wheelskin. And most of them look like sh*tty go-cart steering wheels. Plus ah lahk customizin' mah rig.

Before you begin this mod, I'd make sure you have an extra stock steering wheel on hand to replace the one your about to cut up. I think once your done with this mod, your wife is going to insist you replace your new Frankenstein wheel with a factory stock wheel.

Um, cuz aftermarket wheels cost a lot more than a $50 Wheelskin. And most of them look like sh*tty go-cart steering wheels. Plus ah lahk customizin' mah rig.

Have you thought that maybe your homemade stock wheel will look like a sh*tty go-cart steering wheel? I mean all power to you, do it. But I'd side with @Rifleman and have a back up ready in case the grand plan doesn't pan out.

Senior Mgmt is dubious but on-board. Can't make her dislike driving it any more than she already does...

Backup plan is the $300 faux airbag wheel.

Just a note, from the pics, you have the urethane steering wheel which can be had brand new for less than $300. The second pic is of a leather wrapped 93-94 wheel which run quite a bit more. If you had a leather wheel I’d say hold on, but you got the cheap poly one so I say, hack away! Don’t forget the post surgery pics :steer:

Send it, if you have a work table I would clamp it down with two or three quick clamps

I'm more afraid of the 2-spoke wheel being floppy. It needs more than two points of support to make it reasonably rigid in your hands.

How about just pulling the steering wheel and putting it back on upside down?

Seems like a terrible idea to weaken the sole point of steering input, just get a different wheel that suits your tastes.

Unfortunately, now the turn signals don't cancel. Appears the back of my 94 Land Cruiser wheel has nubs that the 93 Toy truck wheel don't. Aargh.

Back to cuttin' the original motoforker!

I'm gonna try some test cuts in middle of the spoke before cutting down by the actual grippy part. My concern is not being able to cut the metal part far enough inside of the rubber so where I could cut my hand, even after I wrap the wheel with a Wheelskin. Ideas?
img_20190630_210033-jpg.2020475

IMG_20190630_210033.jpg

I already knew you where a harbor freight guy, I can't wait for the first time someone grabs that wheel to get in and it folds, I thing one day it is going to fold on you enjoy your 2 spoke soon broke ghetto wheel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom