Cummins swap time! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today I moved the coolant temp sensor because I did not like how it looked where I put it yesterday. At least this way it's out of sight. Lol sometimes you gotta be picky.

I also got my new rivsert gun.....after breaking my other on a piece of aluminum, wtf. So I finally got around to mounting my clutch line. after I get some fresh tubing I'll officially mount the clutch fluid canister too. Maybe I'll buy a fancy metal one?

Made a chart for that wire harness so maybe tomorrow I'll finish that, plug it in and forget about it!

Other little things I finished today were the oil feed and oil drain lines for the turbo. The adapter fittings came in so I made quick work of that. Oil return is attached to the turbo since it's real hard to get to the fitting while on the rig, but the feed I decided to attach to the engine first.

I accidentally bought an entire 6an kit, maybe I should use it to prep for a larger fuel line? The factory one is probably good enough but bigger is better eh?

IMG_20210920_184219.jpg
IMG_20210920_184204.jpg

IMG_20210920_191020.jpg

I didn't realize until this last set of pics that your truck was RHD.

I'd definitely recommend putting some sort of heat shield on the clutch master and lines. That side of the engine bay is going to get wicked hot.

I didn't realize until this last set of pics that your truck was RHD.

I'd definitely recommend putting some sort of heat shield on the clutch master and lines. That side of the engine bay is going to get wicked hot.

Yeah....Honestly the fact that it's RHD has slowed me down quite a bit and there's days where if it wasn't a factory diesel I'd have just slapped a rebuilt Toyota engine in it. I'm probably going to sleeve the line with some heat shield stuff and then make a small metal shroud for the clutch master after the turbo is in. Might be able to re-purpose the old factory one. Debating a turbo blanket and wrapping the downpipe as well.

Yeah....Honestly the fact that it's RHD has slowed me down quite a bit and there's days where if it wasn't a factory diesel I'd have just slapped a rebuilt Toyota engine in it. I'm probably going to sleeve the line with some heat shield stuff and then make a small metal shroud for the clutch master after the turbo is in. Might be able to re-purpose the old factory one. Debating a turbo blanket and wrapping the downpipe as well.

Stainless downpipe and wrap is a great move. I did a mild steel downpipe with a wrap on my truck, which worked great from an insulation perspective, but the downpipe has rotted out over time.

Turbo blanket should help, that and the exhaust manifold are where most of the heat will come from.

Stainless downpipe and wrap is a great move. I did a mild steel downpipe with a wrap on my truck, which worked great from an insulation perspective, but the downpipe has rotted out over time.

Turbo blanket should help, that and the exhaust manifold are where most of the heat will come from.

I'm struggling to find a heat shield for the 90⁰ dump manifold. I know they exist, I just can't find them! I might do a blanket on it too.

I did, yes! That's a master and slave from a dodge. I just got a cheap one off amazon for a 96 dodge. I was going to use the toyota stuff but I wanted to see how feasible it was to make the dodge stuff work. the dodge stuff uses AN4 fittings so you can make them work for anything, apparently!
Have you hooked your Nv4500 master cylinder up to the clutch pedal yet?

Have you hooked your Nv4500 master cylinder up to the clutch pedal yet?

Sure have! it seems like it works properly, but I'll find out more soon when I can start it.

I found a manifold blanket but they sent the wrong one, so return and re-order lol. did more wire harness stuff too, nothing of much fun to report. Waiting on my downpipe and adapter flange to get back and then i'll be nearly able to start it.

Sure have! it seems like it works properly, but I'll find out more soon when I can start it.

I found a manifold blanket but they sent the wrong one, so return and re-order lol. did more wire harness stuff too, nothing of much fun to report. Waiting on my downpipe and adapter flange to get back and then i'll be nearly able to start it.
Did you have to modify anything on your master cylinder where it attaches to the clutch pedal?

Did you have to modify anything on your master cylinder where it attaches to the clutch pedal?

Yes. I took the "easy" route and instead of messing with the pedal at all, I welded a bolt with the same thread pitch as the adjuster to the dodge clutch rod. My first one was too long, my second was too short. The third one is teetering on still too short but i'll wait until I get to the part where I can road test it to be sure. Here was the first one. once I know the exact measurements, I'll probably make a one piece threaded rod to not have a s*** weld on something vaguely important. lol.

243029216_1286147428480885_622174068820037171_n.jpg

Valair makes a small "plate" that is cut to match the dodge master cylinder pattern. Before i knew this i tried to make one several times and just could not get the pattern cut right to allow the twist lock design of the master cylinder to hold tension correctly. It was sketchy at best and a little jiggling it would fall out. The valair plate was like $25 or so. Has two holes to mount but i welded it to a larger plate similar to your drawing. I will get a picture in the daylight if you want.

Fred

Valair makes a small "plate" that is cut to match the dodge master cylinder pattern. Before i knew this i tried to make one several times and just could not get the pattern cut right to allow the twist lock design of the master cylinder to hold tension correctly. It was sketchy at best and a little jiggling it would fall out. The valair plate was like $25 or so. Has two holes to mount but i welded it to a larger plate similar to your drawing. I will get a picture in the daylight if you want.

Fred
Awesome. Thank you. A photo would be much appreciated.

I knocked those bolts out and welded it to my backing plate. There may be a slight angle to it also to match the apparently angled dodge firewall. I just shimmed under one side to make it level or perpendicular to the land cruiser firewall.

The valair mount fits without any modifications to the land cruiser body. Press the studs out of the mount and out longer bolts thru it and use the factory nuts on the inside. I found that out after I drilled those two holes.... :(

IMG_20210920_184204.jpg

Haha, yes, unfortunately i ended up with additional holes in mine before the final solution. I ended up having to fab an entire clutch pedal bracket/bucket because i could not find an 80 series bracket after searching everywhere. I didnt realize you had a valair bracket and i also see we may have hijacked your post! I'll go back and read from the beginning.

No worries! I don't think I ever really talked about it being a valair one specifically. I think I just kinda did it and posted a photo. I'm probably going to shim it and straighten it a bit, but there's no interference currently so we'll see.

Turbo is officially mounted, blanketed, and the downpipe is heat wrapped. Oil feed and drain lines made and installed. I'm pleased.

IMG_20211009_180018.jpg

My hoses for my hydroboost arrived (weird that he sent them separately?) So I might start running some of those while I wait for the rest, I guess? Once that arrives and is installed I can finally start the engine. Don't want to burn up the power steering pump, so currently that's my holdup. I'll also move the clutch master reservoir once the hydroboost is installed.

Friend came over with some brackets and metal and we made a super simple, yet effective trans crossmember. Once it's back from powder coating I'll snag some photos. Decided that remaking the entire thing and making new brackets made more sense.

Other than that, I worked on extending some wire harnesses so I can have acceptable cable management when this is done.

Crossmember is back from powder coating and installed, it looks good! Hopefully it holds up and I can forget about it.

Bad news, the passenger side floor is soaked from rain. I previously covered the sunroof with vinyl so I think it might be my windshield. Just going to tarp it for the winter and set a dehumidifier in it.

The hoses sent with the hydroboost were too short, so I gotta send those back and just make my own. Should have done that from the get-go.

Next step, wiring gauges and fabbing an exhaust!

IMG_20211029_105039.jpg
IMG_20211029_105224.jpg
IMG_20211028_140312.jpg

IMG_20211029_105039.jpg

IMG_20211029_105224.jpg

Hydroboost still hasn't arrived, but I pulled my interior and dried everything out. My roof rack was the main source of the leak. The clamps were pushing the weatherstripping up :(
Guess I'll have to figure out a new way for the rack to stay up there.

IMG_20211106_162521.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom