cummins repower 2.8 crate engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got that email also. Wow! 9k$ would make me much more interested in the little cummins once my factory motor officially retires.

View attachment 1544092 Think after the emission stuff for the cumming and being made in China the LQ motors are looking good again.

340ftlb at 1200 rpm? I read some where they produce 250ftlb at 8-900 rpm.

Let me put it this way. I -easily- went up Imogene pass from the telluride side IN HIGH RANGE with my slightly older 6.2 LS and 6L80 (has a pretty low 1st gear).

And that's without having done the "speed density/vvt" half of the tuning.

Throw the transfer in Low and I start getting worried about driveline components.

I'm sure it used about five times as much fuel going up that pass as a small diesel would have.. but then I hit the pavement, aired up, and had 350hp to play with (I'm guessing at that number.. using stock landcruiser airbox so it's probably not the 403 the engine made stock).

It is FAR more fun than almost any diesel would be, if you can deal with 15mpg.

Oh, and it'll be for sale soon (love the engine/rig, but the whole thing is too built for how I travel)

Last edited:
Im gonna wait and see if they bring the 3.8liter version in as an option for all the heavier guys needing more oomph without having to jump to the thirsty 5.0. Although the 2.8 basically matches torque numbers of a 1hd-t at 267ft/lbs from 1500rpm up.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the 5.9L and/or 6.7L will be the next additions to the RePower family.

i wil take that bet. 3.8 is almost a given seeing that the big brother engine is already produced alongside the 2.8........more importantly it will fall under the same Carb certification and not need its own certification as its just a derivation of each other.

the 3.8 makes somewhere in the ballpark 180hp and 450+torque! @ 1200rpms! its a beast and is only about 580 lbs. Its also in the same basic pricepoint as its just a 1 liter larger version and i cant imagine the 5.0 wouldnt end up being about double the price of the 2.8and 3.8

Last edited:
the 3.8 makes somewhere in the ballpark 180hp and 450+torque! @ 1200rpms! its a beast and is only about 580 lbs. Its also in the same basic pricepoint as its just a 1 liter larger version and i cant imagine the 5.0 wouldnt end up being about double the price of the 2.8and 3.8

That's not a beast, it's just a pile of junk.

This is what everyone should desire... Smooth running 6 cyl, 3.0, twin turbo 350hp, 480 torque, 480 lbs. redline at 5000 RPM and that includes all the emission crap (DOC, SCR, EGR cooler, DPF).

agreed , it should have been a barebones no emissions model with otions for purchasing needed tems like smog stuff depending on whats needed for your state.

and ideally fully modular so if fyou wanted a single or dual turbo-non emissions and opional intercooler and power steering you just bought it all as zneeded and flashed ecu for what u bought. 2.8 3.8 or 4.8 with option to add anything needed and omit any accessory unwanted-all plug n playi n flash as needed. (turbos intercoolers compressors pwr steering pumps ptos stainleiss manifold slow cookers ;)

Last edited:
I think it's a neat motor! I have a 3FE on stock gears with 35" tires and feel it has plenty of power. I'm curious what sort of usage case requires more than 260 pound feet of torque.

Trying to go fast? Maybe sell it and get a sports car? Or if you really just have to get a diesel truck get a Duramax and go roll coal at the nearest Burger King? Maybe blast some Jason Aldean and cut off people when you "race" them from a stoplight? That is all way easier, cheaper too.

I had to look up where you live as you just described every Duramax in my home town of Monroe WA!:rofl::):beer:

agreed , it should have been a barebones no emissions model with otions for purchasing needed tems like smog stuff depending on whats needed for your state.

and ideally fully modular so if fyou wanted a single or dual turbo-non emissions and opional intercooler and power steering you just bought it all as zneeded and flashed ecu for what u bought. 2.8 3.8 or 4.8 with option to add anything needed and omit any accessory unwanted-all plug n playi n flash as needed. (turbos intercoolers compressors pwr steering pumps ptos stainleiss manifold slow cookers ;)

That's the thing.. a huge part of how they got the modern engines to be so quiet/powerful/clean/efficient is through highly engineered systems... combinations of components. An engine that runs well with an inter cooled turbo would be a total pile of crap Without those parts. Even different EGR flow rates require different mapping and compression ratios.

So I doubt they could effectively bring a modular system to market. With or without the DPF and SCR is probably manageable, but the other stuff I'm betting no.

That's the thing.. a huge part of how they got the modern engines to be so quiet/powerful/clean/efficient is through highly engineered systems... combinations of components.

Totally agree. They’d sell a modular engine, people would cobble together all sorts of stuff, and then complain that the engine was a piece of crap...

The Tunland is powered with this engine and the Titan with the V8 diesel and it looks like many owners are having issues with these new power plants according to discussions on the internet. I would think that any warranty issues would be difficult to pursue considering all of the variables of a swap. It will be interesting to see the long term performance results

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom