cummins repower 2.8 crate engines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i just saw this video on overland bound and want to know what do you guys think about it? and i just want to ask you guys out there that love the diesel swap please take the Cummins REpower Survey to show them that there r a lot of love in toyota land cruiser thanks

Cummins REpower Survey 2016

for the heavy 80, I'd say it's not powerful enough... wait till they come out with a bigger "repower" crate motor.

^ I agree. I like the cummins idea but the 2.8 I feel like the hp is really low for the the weight of the 80. And the torque is not a massive improvement is it? Don't hold me to it I watched the video a few days ago but isn't it like 330 torque? That's not a massive improvement over the 1FZ-ZE. I feel like for the money it would cost it's not worth it. I do like the idea though.

160 hp, 260 lb-ft of torque for the 2.8.

I think it would surprise some people. However the real interesting one is the 3.8 isf and if Cummins will add it to the repower program. Manufactured in the same plant as the 2.8 and has the same emissions certs......but 170 hp and 440 lb-ft of torque. Similar footprint and weight to the 1FZ-FE.

That would be more interesting... not sure it's interesting enough to not do the 6BT though....

*cough* Made in China *cough*

True enough. I guess we will need to see local long term reliability. The plant does look impressive though.....as long as Cummins keeps a tight reign on production even China can make stuff that works......maybe?

If you love the way the UPS trucks sound, go for it.
These are not suitable for car application. They are loud and vibrate more then a California earthquake. In other words a phenomenal and overpriced POS.

Check out the other diesel threads for more refined and passenger car designed diesel engines.

There are a few good options when it comes to diesels. Mercedes would be a very good start. I6 and V6 flavor. Grand Cherokee had a Mercedes diesel a decade ago, now they use VM Motori (not my first choice due to the after-treatment they have, which requires ECU tuning knowledge to turn off those features).

I will have to ask the same question here, as I did in the original thread about this R2.8

What do you do about the OEM transmission which is not geared properly? Still going to use the 4-spd Land Cruisers came with? Not a good idea.
Less torque, less HP, same bad gearing, same weight>>>> poor performance>>>not worth it.

- Get a 5 speed transmission behind the 1FZ-FE and it will be a wonderful setup. (not easy at all, members here have dissected this very issue for a few years)

- Get a german diesel with it's own (5/6/7-speed transmission) and it will will be a dream to drive. Lightweight, powerful, smooth, efficient.

Or, swap in a 5.3 with DoD and 6-spd auto, gain 100hp, and get 18+mpg on RUG. (18 is a guess.. my 6.2 is averaging over 15 with no DoD and another liter of displacement)

And it'll cost half as much.

Or, swap in a 5.3 with DoD and 6-spd auto, gain 100hp, and get 18+mpg on RUG. (18 is a guess.. my 6.2 is averaging over 15 with no DoD and another liter of displacement)

And it'll cost half as much.

Possibly for a lot less than the new diesel engine swap. Labor and fabrication will be relatively constant, but the engine price will make a big difference.

Yes same Toyota transmission. It would work fine. More than enough down low torque to move an 80. The isf 2.8 is NOT a performance option for an 80 and isn't marketed as such. It is an overlanding option that will work very well at medium to low speed off roading while getting great mileage and amazing range and hold 70 on the hwy.

I think the 3.8 is much better option.

If you want performance put in a built ls 6.2 or build a Turbo 1FZ-FE.

In stock form 1FZ-FE has slightly more torque and horsepower. Everybody is complaining about the lack of both.
Now, how would this R2.8 be better with less power and torque?
Just in mileage alone? At what cost?
Dropping $10k in the swap will hardly justify for the mileage difference.

This new engine is not a good fit for the 80.
Maybe for the 40 and 60. Especially when those are equipped with a manual transmission. Then, that would make a lot of sense. For the 80, no chance in hell that is a better option.

In stock form 1FZ-FE has slightly more torque and horsepower. Everybody is complaining about the lack of both.
Now, how would this R2.8 be better with less power and torque?
Just in mileage alone? At what cost?
Dropping $10k in the swap will hardly justify for the mileage difference.

The 2.8 has WAY more torque where it counts, at 1,800 RPM.

It just comes down to not being able to compare diesel to gas powerplants hp to hp and torque to torque because they both deliver that power very differently.

I do agree the 2.8 may not be enough for a LOT of people. If these engines are even any good at all being manufactured in China. The isf 3.8 would be the way to go as it is a torque monster compared to stock. 440+ lb.ft. would move an 80 even with only 170 hp.

Crap, is what I have to say about it, there have been 4BT swaps in Land Cruisers, and they are not the Bee's Knee's, this is why the 6BT is a better option, I am running one right now, and let me tell, you, it is so much fun driving it, I have not yet fully tuned my new stand alone, I am working with Dustin on this, we have it close, but not as good as it can be, since we have only had it a month, and it is my daily driver I don't get to spend much time at his place. If I drive like a mello guy I get 21 + MPG, but I don't I only get about 18, but I sure do have a good time .

Definitely a little under powered but lots of low end torque might make up for it. Peak torque at 1500 rpm is the key, basically it doesn't need to down shift. For those of us who don't race up the hill it could be pretty interesting option.....the range we could get is quite tempting!

6BT is legendary. I have one in my '96 Ram. 21 years and only replaced 1 injection pump.

It is heavy as hell though. How is your front end in mud and the soft stuff? My Ram's front end sinks like a brick in Mud and beats all the front end components to death every few years.

I think it's a neat motor! I have a 3FE on stock gears with 35" tires and feel it has plenty of power. I'm curious what sort of usage case requires more than 260 pound feet of torque.

Trying to go fast? Maybe sell it and get a sports car? Or if you really just have to get a diesel truck get a Duramax and go roll coal at the nearest Burger King? Maybe blast some Jason Aldean and cut off people when you "race" them from a stoplight? That is all way easier, cheaper too.

The 2.8 has WAY more torque where it counts, at 1,800 RPM.

It just comes down to not being able to compare diesel to gas powerplants hp to hp and torque to torque because they both deliver that power very differently.

I do agree the 2.8 may not be enough for a LOT of people. If these engines are even any good at all being manufactured in China. The isf 3.8 would be the way to go as it is a torque monster compared to stock. 440+ lb.ft. would move an 80 even with only 170 hp.

1FZ-FE has a lot of torque starting down low too. It starts really low, even at idle it's somewhere above 50%. I forgot the exact figure, but I remember it mimics a diesel engine' torque curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom