Builds Cummins R2.8 Conversion build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is just my opinion which I have witnessed in real life a few times.

I think the 1hdft will get very similar mileage to that cummins. Your wallet shouldn't feel a difference. But the cummins will do better with a fuel conscious driver at the helm.
Currently mid and full size cars are ditching v6 engines and replacing them with small turbo charged 4 cylinders. And real world mileage is suffering.

It All comes down to matching the vehicle size with the engine size so that the engine is running at its most efficient range. That cummins will be slow for anyone used to driving something with a sbc. So they will tend to floor it to accelerate at the same speed they are used to. Which will not be where the cummins is most efficient.

Thats for all the awesome responses everyone! Sorry to derail the original thread about the install. What torfab has created looks amazing! I probably shouldn't admit this here but I also own a built up TJ. This 2.8 seems perfect for it at some point.

I should probably start my own thread for engine advice. Just curious about what everyone thinks is the best option for someone looking to keep a heavy 80 long term as an expo vehicle and not a dedicated trail rig. My wife and I typically drive a few hundred miles over some pretty brutal mountain passes a few times a month, often in the snow. Often our trips involve moderate to tough offloading to get to our final destination. I also do remote baja trips where range and reliability are the primary factors. The 80 to me is just about perfect in this role. I'd like to be buried in it one day lol. That being said the power and range of the 1fz-fe just don't seem like a fit for this vehicle.

What is the situation with the electronic auto boxes? It looks as if the EMS has an extra port. Do Cummins have anyuthing in mind or will this be up to the after market boys? Or is there a standard these days? I somehow doubt that.

My buddy has a troopy with a 3B. I think it made about 90HP when new. Crazy that these trucks where designed with so little power!

Because they were never intended or designed for the US market and US driving patterns and US speeds.

I was just in Kenya a few weeks ago and it all started to make sense. 70's and 105's everywhere! NGO's, company vehicles, airport shuttles, and safari companies. They rarely go over 80kph, and where they're in their element is on the unsealed roads. They have 10 times more unpaved roads as they do paved, which pretty much sums up the rest of the continent. Even on game drives the animals don't mind the sound of that low powered 1HZ clattering around. Any more power and there would be no game to view

Loving the 2.8L swap @torfab

What is the situation with the electronic auto boxes? It looks as if the EMS has an extra port. Do Cummins have anyuthing in mind or will this be up to the after market boys? Or is there a standard these days? I somehow doubt that.

The cummins doesn't have any auto trans controls, but it's easy to integrate into the package. We will be doing a 4L60e and 6L80e in the future. I believe we can hook up to a 95-97 A343 as well using some Heep parts.

Thats for all the awesome responses everyone! Sorry to derail the original thread about the install. What torfab has created looks amazing! I probably shouldn't admit this here but I also own a built up TJ. This 2.8 seems perfect for it at some point.

I should probably start my own thread for engine advice. Just curious about what everyone thinks is the best option for someone looking to keep a heavy 80 long term as an expo vehicle and not a dedicated trail rig. My wife and I typically drive a few hundred miles over some pretty brutal mountain passes a few times a month, often in the snow. Often our trips involve moderate to tough offloading to get to our final destination. I also do remote baja trips where range and reliability are the primary factors. The 80 to me is just about perfect in this role. I'd like to be buried in it one day lol. That being said the power and range of the 1fz-fe just don't seem like a fit for this vehicle.

This engine will move an 80 series just fine, it has plenty of pep for a 60 series. You won't win any races ;) but that's obviously not the point. If it was then I'd get a 6.0 liter.

@torfab - have you guys started on putting one these in a 40 yet? Eager to hear some feedback and see some pictures! Thanks - Justin

@torfab - have you guys started on putting one these in a 40 yet? Eager to hear some feedback and see some pictures! Thanks - Justin
I wish they'd get the pricing out for the engine. I'm ready to put one in my 40 if AA has the adapters for my NV4500. One of the videos I saw said they would be in full production this month (September).

I wish they'd get the pricing out for the engine. I'm ready to put one in my 40 if AA has the adapters for my NV4500. One of the videos I saw said they would be in full production this month (September).

I inquired about rough pricing - and the reply was "the engine itself will be similar in pricing to a GM EROD LS3".

going by a google search that would put this engine $7,000 to $8000. + labor if you're not up to doing this yourself... another $7,000.

I courious what kind of mpg this swap would be getting in a built 60 series? Also how would the drivability be compared to a fresh 3fe and a h55f?

My MPG's in my 2F 60 are hideous not to mention how brutally slow she is going over mountain passes. I'm not asking for ridiculous Vortec power, just something better than what I have now with far better range.

I courious what kind of mpg this swap would be getting in a built 60 series? Also how would the drivability be compared to a fresh 3fe and a h55f?

this was the reply to my list of inquiries

fair to say even a fresh 3Fe wouldn't ever perform like this

Paul

Sorry for the late response, we’re down a tech so emails are getting the back burner. This engine is fantastic and I’m getting over 21mpg even while cruising at 70-80 MPH. It’s made my FJ62 the best cruiser I have ever owned, and I can’t wait to get my hands on more of these engines. To answer your questions:

1. Not yet readily available. We are waiting on a drop date for when they will be sold

2. You can currently use an H55, 4L60e, or 6L80e

3. The engine will be around the same as a GM EROD LS3, but comes with accessories

4. The conversion will be 7k labor

5. The engine will be covered by a Cummins warranty

6. As stated above, I am getting 21MPG

7. I drove to Oregon last weekend for the eclipse, and I easily went 70-80mph plus over the steepest part of the pass

8. I’m working on AC, I have a compressor that’s promising and I’m working on a bracket

9. We are booked out about 9 months, and the conversion will take about 3-4 weeks.

This would make a great powerplant for a Viking Funeral ;) best road trip engine ever, just a pleasure to drive especially when I’m getting reasonable fuel mileage while passing people over mountain passes.
_____

my thoughts: i really want a diesel in my cruiser but since i dont have the space nor the skills to pull this off myself - i'm not sure I can justify $15,000 for an engine swap. i'm trying to convince myself (and my wife) that maybe if we think of it as a 15k car loan and pay it off over 5 years its less painful. but in reality think of how much gas you can buy for $15k.

another way to look at is this. I'm 46 years old - my wife and I do a lot of road trips and camping/rock climbing/fly fishing...so take a look at this cost exercise. at the 10 year mark - the $15,000 swap cost is a lost leader.

at year 20 (assuming we keep taking big trips) we're saving money on annual fuel costs.

Attachments

• petrol_diesel.pdf
    22.3 KB · Views: 133
this was the reply to my list of inquiries

fair to say even a fresh 3Fe wouldn't ever perform like this

Paul

Sorry for the late response, we’re down a tech so emails are getting the back burner. This engine is fantastic and I’m getting over 21mpg even while cruising at 70-80 MPH. It’s made my FJ62 the best cruiser I have ever owned, and I can’t wait to get my hands on more of these engines. To answer your questions:

1. Not yet readily available. We are waiting on a drop date for when they will be sold

2. You can currently use an H55, 4L60e, or 6L80e

3. The engine will be around the same as a GM EROD LS3, but comes with accessories

4. The conversion will be 7k labor

5. The engine will be covered by a Cummins warranty

6. As stated above, I am getting 21MPG

7. I drove to Oregon last weekend for the eclipse, and I easily went 70-80mph plus over the steepest part of the pass

8. I’m working on AC, I have a compressor that’s promising and I’m working on a bracket

9. We are booked out about 9 months, and the conversion will take about 3-4 weeks.

This would make a great powerplant for a Viking Funeral ;) best road trip engine ever, just a pleasure to drive especially when I’m getting reasonable fuel mileage while passing people over mountain passes.
_____

my thoughts: i really want a diesel in my cruiser but since i dont have the space nor the skills to pull this off myself - i'm not sure I can justify $15,000 for an engine swap. i'm trying to convince myself (and my wife) that maybe if we think of it as a 15k car loan and pay it off over 5 years its less painful. but in reality think of how much gas you can buy for $15k.

another way to look at is this. I'm 46 years old - my wife and I do a lot of road trips and camping/rock climbing/fly fishing...so take a look at this cost exercise. at the 10 year mark - the $15,000 swap cost is a lost leader.

at year 20 (assuming we keep taking big trips) we're saving money on annual fuel costs.

The math doesn't work out particularly well if you are looking at only the fuel cost or replacing an otherwise healthy engine. However if you are looking at the bigger picture and other factors such as a worn out engine, parts availability, longevity, range for roaming and reliability then it looks a little different. Yes 15k is a lot up front but if you plan to keep the thing and use it for a while it breaks down to not a lot per year. Certainly not in comparison to what the average "John Q Public" spends on his behemoth SUV that will fail at the first cattle grate he encounters.

For all of us these are very individual decisions, there is no absolute right or wrong and often there is a little more to it than pure logic or arithmetic. Think of it this way, you are 46 years old. How much have you spent on vehicles over your lifetime? How many of them did you actually enjoy? How many of them are still tooling around and held their value to some extent? How many of them would you actually trust for your
camping/rock climbing/fly fishing
trips?

Two final thoughts. You are 46 ( I have a few years on you) when was the last time you were really really good to yourself? Can't take it with you.
And lastly you are 46 and rock climbing I don't think you should be too overly concerned about the future and financial missteps :eek:

The math doesn't work out particularly well if you are looking at only the fuel cost or replacing an otherwise healthy engine. However if you are looking at the bigger picture and other factors such as a worn out engine, parts availability, longevity, range for roaming and reliability then it looks a little different. Yes 15k is a lot up front but if you plan to keep the thing and use it for a while it breaks down to not a lot per year. Certainly not in comparison to what the average "John Q Public" spends on his behemoth SUV that will fail at the first cattle grate he encounters.

For all of us these are very individual decisions, there is no absolute right or wrong and often there is a little more to it than pure logic or arithmetic. Think of it this way, you are 46 years old. How much have you spent on vehicles over your lifetime? How many of them did you actually enjoy? How many of them are still tooling around and held their value to some extent? How many of them would you actually trust for your
trips?

Two final thoughts. You are 46 ( I have a few years on you) when was the last time you were really really good to yourself? Can't take it with you.
And lastly you are 46 and rock climbing I don't think you should be too overly concerned about the future and financial missteps :eek:[/QUOTE

trips?

And lastly you are 46 and rock climbing I don't think you should be too overly concerned about the future and financial missteps :eek:

yep - you're speaking my language brother... even though it doesnt totally make sense on paper....we're still considering it. i think the numbers might look a little better after that diesel is broken in and gets closer to 25. also - will get way better MPG's NOT pushing a brick through the wind at 80.

How much have you spent on vehicles over your lifetime? How many of them did you actually enjoy? <-- case in point... our audi allroad finally had to go last year...got prohibitively expensive to keep rolling after hit 200,000 miles...but we LOVED that car...and miss it daily. the subaru forester we bought as a reliable daily driver...we're selling it. it simply sucks and my neighbor said "life it too short to drive boring cars" . we have it up for sale right now.

i've owned several german cars throughout my adult life and have enjoyed them all - still own my 1969 VW Squareback (garage queen)

as for rock climbing - my wife is the hard core one...but we only do bolted sport routes which is very safe... the stats done lie - we're all far more likely to die in automotive accidents or gun related incidents than climbing.

for me - i'm more of a water guy so i fly fish as much as humanly possible... i'm way more likely to drown in a river...which would be fine by me...when its my time... dying doing what i love will be OK by me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom