Other than LC Projects Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow - nice work. Little solar panel setup for the lighting, too? I remember putting together a swingset about 20 years ago... Not hard, just ridiculously time consuming.
Aww... you noticed. 25w panel to charge a small battery to the right.

085B938B-64D3-4B33-A15F-9C2538DAE8CD.jpeg

I will chime in ...
1) prepared a house for sale which required installing a walkway from driveway to front door. 6’ x 36’ 8 tons of settling stone dumped by farm tractor and then spread by hand.
BDDE8154-009A-42BC-9A61-17E240667D3F.jpeg

2) Packed & moved Last week of June and then unloaded July 4th weekend.
3) The fun one was turning a free and in amazing condition sleeper sofa into a hide a couch. Removed the sleeper sofa mattress & frame. Then replaced with blocking,1x6 cross pieces, and 3/4” plywood.
568C708A-357F-4BD5-A9CC-EE0B58A63ADC.jpeg

Damn, Quinton. Why do you guys move so much??? Where ya at now?
We just moved into a 27 acre homestead Complete with log cabin, 3 car detached garage with Additional tractor drive through bay, and 3 stall cattle barn. Planning to stay here in North western PA.

Spent the weekend insulating my attic. 180 degrees felt great on my joints.
I was able to finish the first 2 inch layer between the rafters. The next step is to cover up the rafters with a second layer. This will give me an R20 rating. I needed to lower the temps in the because I have an AC unit I. The attic that I just replaced that is already shutting down on me. It is not just that the attic is very hot. There are other issues and I plan to address other things As well. After I’m done insulating the roof. I have to seal all air leaks where conditioned air is escaping into the attic. There is plenty of places where the air is escaping. Some expanding foam will fix all this. Then I will be fixing all the ac ducts which are old and are leaking before they reach the ac vents.
I am hoping rhat all this work makes everything run more efficiently if I reduce my power bill that will be a plus but I am mainly doing it becasue the vent system used on my house is 60 year old technology that is not very effective.
95F4F166-2A30-407F-94C2-F18A56C524C5.jpeg

Attic insulation in July... you are a better man than I - although I could use to sweat off 20lbs. Sounds like your plan should GREATLY improve your HVAC operation.

We bought our house 6 years ago and the roof had been recently replaced. Our home inspector noted that they did not install a ridge vent. I called multiple roofing companies and the cheapest quote (for a reputable company) I could find to install a ridge vent was $1,200 (40' ridge); many were close to double that. I heard a radio commercial for 'The Fan Man' and gave them a call... $700 which included installing some baffles to improve air flow!! So much better than a passive system IMO and it made a noticeable difference in our attic temps as well as HVAC cooling. Would highly recommend them if that fits your application.

Spent the weekend insulating my attic.

You, sir, are an absolute beast! It was too hot for me to peal an orange without A/C this weekend.

Attic insulation in July... you are a better man than I - although I could use to sweat off 20lbs. Sounds like your plan should GREATLY improve your HVAC operation.

We bought our house 6 years ago and the roof had been recently replaced. Our home inspector noted that they did not install a ridge vent. I called multiple roofing companies and the cheapest quote (for a reputable company) I could find to install a ridge vent was $1,200 (40' ridge); many were close to double that. I heard a radio commercial for 'The Fan Man' and gave them a call... $700 which included installing some baffles to improve air flow!! So much better than a passive system IMO and it made a noticeable difference in our attic temps as well as HVAC cooling. Would highly recommend them if that fits your application.

thanks for the suggestion. I already have two fans rhat kick in at certain temp. But if material alone cost me around $2000 so far for this first phase. I can’t imagine what the labor cost would have been. Not that it would not be worth paying a reputable company. I did some research on line and think I have a good plan of action. I knew it would be labor intensive but not hard to do.
i know it sounds crazy but I love the hot weather. It makes my arthritis and aches and pain go away. Yeah I sweat out about 10 pounds over the weekend but heat shock therapy is good for you.

thanks for the suggestion. I already have two fans rhat kick in at certain temp. But if material alone cost me around $2000 so far for this first phase. I can’t imagine what the labor cost would have been. Not that it would not be worth paying a reputable company. I did some research on line and think I have a good plan of action. I knew it would be labor intensive but not hard to do.
i know it sounds crazy but I love the hot weather. It makes my arthritis and aches and pain go away. Yeah I sweat out about 10 pounds over the weekend but heat shock therapy is good for you.
I am eventually going to finish my 3rd floor. It's 700 square feet of open area. A small portion will be storage but most will be a open area for entertainment or another bedroom. Our house falls under Region 4 with attic insulation minimum of R38. I have 2x8 trusses but will add horizontal banding to get the proper thickness and reduce thermal bridging. My plan is to leave a 1.5" gap for venting, a 1" layer of foil backed EPS, and either batting or rigid foam to create R38. My upstairs HVAC struggles on hottest of days but it's also 16 years old.

1595561045657.png

I was going to leave the 1 inch gap before the roof deck and insulation but my house doesn’t have eve vents. So I just went ahead and placed the 2 inch foam right next to the roof deck between the rafters. I will be leaving a gap between that first layer and the second layer which will be placed like sheet rock covering all the rafters and roof deck as well as the recently placed insulation. Rhat will put the roof deck at R20. Perfect to keep the heat out that comes off the hot roofing shingles and roof deck. I am not even done with the first layer and it is already much cooler up there. It’s looking like my attic is going to have a consistent double digit temperatures pretty close to 70 degrees. Which is way better than I expected. I will report once I am done with the second layer. I should be done this weekend.

Still gotta do a back splash/hardware but its basically done. Built a bar out of an unused media closet under the stairs. My wife call it a butlers pantry and that’s what I called it to sell her the idea. The sketch came out pretty close. It’s nice to have dedicated place to keep my beverages.

43A2E677-3B5D-427A-8373-BCDC54EE2A2C.jpeg

71BFDB86-ED1D-437E-91C0-95045978DA92.jpeg

7C2E16CD-B323-4FE3-975A-9CB91C4A305E.jpeg

Last edited:
I am eventually going to finish my 3rd floor. It's 700 square feet of open area. A small portion will be storage but most will be a open area for entertainment or another bedroom. Our house falls under Region 4 with attic insulation minimum of R38. I have 2x8 trusses but will add horizontal banding to get the proper thickness and reduce thermal bridging. My plan is to leave a 1.5" gap for venting, a 1" layer of foil backed EPS, and either batting or rigid foam to create R38. My upstairs HVAC struggles on hottest of days but it's also 16 years old.

View attachment 2381681

I've been toying with putting a floor down in the attic for storage.

I've been toying with putting a floor down in the attic for storage.

I toyed with that idea in 2003, when I bought this 1932 home. Seventeen years later, it is just about finished. Did the spray foam insulation in ceiling and walls, another a/c unit and hardwood floors shown in earlier pictures. It added about 900 sqft. Included a bedroom, a full bath with a 4x4 shower, kitchen area and the living space that is 14x 30 feet.
not a Covid project. Just trying to finish durning this down time.
good luck with yours.

I toyed with that idea in 2003, when I bought this 1932 home. Seventeen years later, it is just about finished. Did the spray foam insulation in ceiling and walls, another a/c unit and hardwood floors shown in earlier pictures. It added about 900 sqft. Included a bedroom, a full bath with a 4x4 shower, kitchen area and the living space that is 14x 30 feet.
not a Covid project. Just trying to finish durning this down time.
good luck with yours.

Mine would just be for storage, no AC in the house so in summer its pretty toasty up there. Just want to put some simple floors down and a light lol.

Finally got my hands on the drop-in utility bed I want to use as the base for my camping trailer. Once I strip off the ladder rack parts, it looks like the integrated aluminum frame should work out pretty well for the RTT. Now I just need to decide what style tent to start working on.

1734121F-BF4B-4B42-8D73-83D889D57EAB.jpeg

33D05BC2-9CBA-4CF1-A11D-8B2915E9CCD9.jpeg

Finally got my hands on the drop-in utility bed I want to use as the base for my camping trailer. Once I strip off the ladder rack parts, it looks like the integrated aluminum frame should work out pretty well for the RTT. Now I just need to decide what style tent to start working on.

View attachment 2383361

View attachment 2383362

Dude, I love that idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom